Jackson and Livingstone - Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:04 am

Submerge wrote:How do you think they compare today to your childhood? Oh yeah, enjoying the raiders this season, havent seen you much on nfluk, browns and raiders, we chose well there didnt we!!!!
I've been posting tons over there, getting wound up as everyones having digs at how crap my team are !

On the plus side that NFL Gamepass (when working) is brilliant, being able to watch your team every week (despite them always losing !)

I think the books still hold up well, had a flick through the other day (no not on the bog !) and it brings back a ton of memories and are just very very good. Want to try the Sorcery books at some stage, i'm the type of player who doesnt bother with the combat, just reads/plays it to try to get to the end.

Submerge

Re:

Post by Submerge » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:32 am

psj3809 wrote:
Submerge wrote:How do you think they compare today to your childhood? Oh yeah, enjoying the raiders this season, havent seen you much on nfluk, browns and raiders, we chose well there didnt we!!!!
I've been posting tons over there, getting wound up as everyones having digs at how crap my team are !

On the plus side that NFL Gamepass (when working) is brilliant, being able to watch your team every week (despite them always losing !)

I think the books still hold up well, had a flick through the other day (no not on the bog !) and it brings back a ton of memories and are just very very good. Want to try the Sorcery books at some stage, i'm the type of player who doesnt bother with the combat, just reads/plays it to try to get to the end.
Yeah i think its me who hasnt been posting on nfluk, ive seen a lot from you. The raiders have had a few possitives this season, not many. I think you can grow though into next season. The less said about the Browns the better, I think our record this season makes us look better than we are. Awful!
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:52 am

Exciting game against the Chiefs the other day, watched that cheering on Derek Anderson. Charlie Frye might not be the answer.

Its sad when at this time of year you look forward to the draft so much ! Must admit i get wound up with the digs from the prawn sandwich bandwagon fans which yeah wind me up a treat !

Madge

Post by Madge » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:59 pm

To bring this thread screeching back on-topic I'd like to admit that I also have fond memories of the gamebook fad. I was in primary school at its peak and our teachers actually encouraged us to play the books, since they combined reading, logic puzzles and number-crunching.
Everyone at my primary school was into these "back in the day" and I really think these books helped our education. More fun than homework, certainly.
Even today I own a few gamebooks including some of the Fighting Fantasy re-issues which, as other posters have stated, are bastard hard even for grown-ups. Think I'll have another go at Creature of Havoc...
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:36 am

Yes, I remember these very well. I had two favourites which I cannot remember the titles: One was were it was set in the far future and you fight against Arcadians. The other one was where you played a Superhero, a bit like Superman.

Do you know the name of these two books?

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:20 pm

Rebel Planet and Appointment with F.E.A.R.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:57 am

Thanks ever so much :D I will most certainly be keeping an eye out for these two titles.

Thanks once again. :D

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:51 pm

I recently got books 1-10 of the FF series as published in 2002 by Wizard Books through eBay which contains the following:

Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Citadel Of Chaos
Deathtrap Dungeon
Creature Of Havoc
City Of Theives
Crypt Of The Sorcerer
House Of Hell
Forest Of Doom
Sorcery! 1
Caverns Of The Snow Witch

I also got Temple Of Terror and Island Of The Lizard King from a jumble sale I was helping out with on Saturday. IOTLK, which is an original 1984 puffin copy, says it is book 7 but book 7 in my boxset is House Of Hell. Could it be the fact that the later Wizard Books versions are in a different order?

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Yeah, the Wizard editions aren't sticking to the original numbering. It's not clear if they are even going to reprint all of the Puffin originals.

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:24 am

The original HoH in the UK was No. 10.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Brilliant just unpacking some boxes of books that haven't been opened for years, and guess what I found?

Citadel Of Chaos
The Forest Of Doom
House Of Hell
Space Assassin
Crypt Of The Sorceror

plus Crypt Of The Vampire, which is a "Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebook" and "The Sword Of The Templar", Robin Of Sherwood Gamebook 2.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Also three "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, Space & Beyond, Your Code Name Is Jonah and Hyperspace.

"The Way Of The Tiger" number 2: Assassin!

Transformers "Dinobot War" adventure game book

"The Crystal Maze" game book