Jackson and Livingstone - Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oli_lar

Re:

Post by oli_lar » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:39 am

merman wrote:Fantastic, spend hundreds of hours reading through them when I was younger... I think my favourite was Appointment With FEAR, the super-hero book.
I've got that one, but prefer the seas of blood and robot commando ones.

Robots and dinosaurs in the same story, brilliant

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 am

monkey010101 wrote:Hi everyone,

I remember a two player one I had which had two books, one for each player. One of you played a wizard and one a warrior. It wasn't a fighting fantasy one though.
It actually worked quite well. What you did was both read the books at the same time and your characters had fairly seperate journies except at certain points you'd meet and have to discuss what to do. It was a weird experience to both be sitting there reading in silence and then all of a sudden both discussing something from the book.
I wish I could remember what it was called.
CLASH OF THE PRINCES

Really good fun.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:06 pm

Wizards, Warriors & You seems to take a similar approach, though with a single book. I assume if you both have it it would work as a 2 player.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

monkey010101

Post by monkey010101 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:16 am

CLASH OF THE PRINCES
That's the one! Thanks.

Been thinking I might try to collect some of the FF books from Charity Shops.

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:31 pm

Er he said he liked the one done by the way of the tiger guys, so obviously it won't be way of the tiger. Talisman of Death was written by Mark Smith and Jamie Thomson who wrote the Way of the Tiger series (and a few others).
I loved the way of the tiger books, few months ago at work I walked past a colleagues desk and saw one of them. I picked it up and was leafing through it and commented that I remember it all and used to love the series. Then Mark, the guy who's desk it was, told me he wrote it!

Weird!

Sureshot

Re:

Post by Sureshot » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 pm

merman wrote:
monkey010101 wrote:Hi everyone,

I remember a two player one I had which had two books, one for each player. One of you played a wizard and one a warrior. It wasn't a fighting fantasy one though.
It actually worked quite well. What you did was both read the books at the same time and your characters had fairly seperate journies except at certain points you'd meet and have to discuss what to do. It was a weird experience to both be sitting there reading in silence and then all of a sudden both discussing something from the book.
I wish I could remember what it was called.
CLASH OF THE PRINCES

Really good fun.
Yeah, one player was Clovis, the other Lothar if I remember correctly.

I had another one of these 2-player books, that was situated in a gladitorial arena but you could also venture into the 'outer' ring where it had a maze of tunnels, including runes and things like that...

As for FF books, I had a load of them back home, mainly care of my brother. I seem to remember the only one I completed was Freeway Fighter, with House of Hell being the first I ever played. I remember the illustrations were really creepy at that age!

I think Trial of the Champions was also regarded as an 'easy' book, with Appointment with F.E.A.R being one of the hardest (it was about 2 times thicker than the others).

LoungeVamp

Post by LoungeVamp » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:05 am

Didn't they mess up one of the original books so that it was impossible to get to the final winning page?
I remember it was thicker than the first few, probably about 2 books width and was a red cover :?

...of course I may have simply got a limited edition one, i.e. a few of the pages where missing and I never sussed it :D

One gripe I always had was I could never figure out whether "fate smiled upon you" or "fate turns its back on you". I know what they mean now, but as a pre-teen I was clueless and was constantly getting killed even though luck was actually with me...

I hadn't realised they where selling these again - must go and snag some for the long haul flights I have to do with work (even if everyone around me will get miffed with the constant sound of dice falling).

I only had the first Way of the Tiger book - Avenger, but thought it rocked.

I attempted to do my GCSE computer studies assignment writing an online version of one of those books, using some weird-out Apple Mac software, but got told to get my act together and do a proper assignment. Pffffft what did they know :wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:11 am

Be great if someone converted one of these books onto PC (and I DON'T mean like Deathtrap Dungeon!)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Submerge

Post by Submerge » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:24 pm

ahhhhh, just finished the first sorcery book, absolutely excellent!!!!!!

onto the next!
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

rainbird rich

Re: Jackson and Livingstone - Fighting Fantasy

Post by rainbird rich » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:25 am

I bought the books in order (up to about #19, plus a few of the side-series they did), starting way back in '82. They were pretty good back then.

I also remember a competition to design your own FF book. Me and a mate spent weeks doing it (including illustrations), sent it off and then never heard a thing - not even confirmation that it had turned up! :(

Of course, years later I did meet Ian Livingstone (when I was freelancing for Domark) but I decided not to mention my FF past to him in case I didn't get the work! ;)
Submerge wrote:Now who remembers these? Between 8-11 I spent most of my non gaming or footy time reading/playing these dice rolling adventures, some of the richest and most amazing stories/games I have ever read/played. Used to love the art, and the green spines, memories!
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:37 pm

How did I miss this topic? :?

I'm a huge fan of FF, since I was a kid playing them. It's one of the very few nostalgic things that I can go back to that completely delivers on all counts. I'm just as happy to spend a night playing these books as I was back then. I've been on a fairly casual quest for the past few years to gather a complete collection, not only of the books themselves but also the peripheral stuff I used to have like Warlock magazine. In fact I received a Tasks of Tantalon this very morning.

My favourites were always the earlier ones, because that was my introduction to FF, gamebooks and fantasy stuff on the whole. I remember sitting up all night with my desk lamp on, playing through Deathtrap Dungeon and mapping it (and yes, I did used to play them properly and in fact still do - I even print out adventure sheets to use :oops: )

As a teenager I even used an Atari ST hyperlink database program to recreate one of the mini adventures from Warlock magazine. Took me bloody ages!

Quite an event this year as a few weeks ago the long-awaited 60th book was published, called Bloodbones. I've yet to sit down with it but the thrill of receiving a NEW FF book after all these years was just undeniable. FF is one of my proper nerdy guilty pleasures.

Submerge

Re:

Post by Submerge » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:07 am

Sabreman wrote:How did I miss this topic? :?

I'm a huge fan of FF, since I was a kid playing them. It's one of the very few nostalgic things that I can go back to that completely delivers on all counts. I'm just as happy to spend a night playing these books as I was back then. I've been on a fairly casual quest for the past few years to gather a complete collection, not only of the books themselves but also the peripheral stuff I used to have like Warlock magazine. In fact I received a Tasks of Tantalon this very morning.

My favourites were always the earlier ones, because that was my introduction to FF, gamebooks and fantasy stuff on the whole. I remember sitting up all night with my desk lamp on, playing through Deathtrap Dungeon and mapping it (and yes, I did used to play them properly and in fact still do - I even print out adventure sheets to use :oops: )

As a teenager I even used an Atari ST hyperlink database program to recreate one of the mini adventures from Warlock magazine. Took me bloody ages!

Quite an event this year as a few weeks ago the long-awaited 60th book was published, called Bloodbones. I've yet to sit down with it but the thrill of receiving a NEW FF book after all these years was just undeniable. FF is one of my proper nerdy guilty pleasures.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!

Yep, I have tasks of Tantalon on the way, along with Titan the intro book, Out of the Pit and the first 2 FF novels.

Im looking for the Zagor novels too, buggers to come by though.

Havent invested in Bloodbones, but will buy it later today.

Completely agree about this being my final taboo of nerdy pleasures, the older i get the more i love em.

Check this site out for some serious nerd levels, but I love it, how passionate can one person be about their interest??!!

http://www.fightingfantasy.org.uk
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:28 pm

Starship Traveller seemed to be virtually impossible to finish

PS Has anyone ever tried to create a flash version of one of these books on the internet?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:49 pm

Great topic, just found it and read every post.
I think I still have a stack of these books in the loft at my mother's house - fond memories of playing these whilst on holiday in Cornwall as a kid.

In a retro two-for-one, I remember one Easter a friend and I wrote programs to record all the stats from the books on the Spectrum and Atari 8-bit (I had the Spectrum at the time, but moved onto the Atari after seeing what it could do) - as I recall the programs actually turned into a contest of 'look what this computer can do', but they had working dice rolling, hit points, inventories and such.

Appointment with F.E.A.R was excellent, as was The Citadel of Chaos - I think that one had these odd rolling creatures inside; as I remember there was a great illustration for that part...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:33 pm

Yes,I'd forgotten about Appointment with FEAR - that was a good one

Probably my all-time favourite is Deathtrap Dungeon,closely followed by the one in the car
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"