Jackson and Livingstone - Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat May 20, 2006 8:18 am

I bought a load for 10p each at a booty about 3 years ago,then promptly forgot about them until I moved last month. I have them out and ready to play a couple while I'm off over the next 2 weeks.

I loved Deathtrap Dungeon and Trial of Champions, both were a bit easy but fun.

I always found that the ones written by IL to be easier than SJ. House of Hell was always a pain in the Arse.

Other favourites include the Mad Max inspired Freeway Fighter, City of Thieves, and Citadel of Chaos.

EDIT:Just checked out the websites, LOVE the new cover art!

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun May 21, 2006 4:03 am

I got some of these books for xmas one year, I found them rather boring and not as much fun as a real text adventure... ( Urban upstart anyone..? )

I do have the Playstation Game Deathtrap Dungeon though with the ltd edition card game so can I join in this thread ;)

Submerge

Re:

Post by Submerge » Sun May 21, 2006 5:30 am

The Last Ginja wrote:I bought a load for 10p each at a booty about 3 years ago,then promptly forgot about them until I moved last month. I have them out and ready to play a couple while I'm off over the next 2 weeks.

I loved Deathtrap Dungeon and Trial of Champions, both were a bit easy but fun.

I always found that the ones written by IL to be easier than SJ. House of Hell was always a pain in the Arse.

Other favourites include the Mad Max inspired Freeway Fighter, City of Thieves, and Citadel of Chaos.

EDIT:Just checked out the websites, LOVE the new cover art!
New coverart is quality, but the older late 80's art had it for me, the mystic looking creature on front of creature of havoc was my ultimate favourite!
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

James A

Post by James A » Sun May 21, 2006 7:15 am

The best piece of cover art for the series was for the Night Dragon No 52.

savva0122

Post by savva0122 » Wed May 24, 2006 6:17 pm

I'm with Marvin - loved Deathtrap Dungeon, Starship Traveller and Freeway Fighter.

Also liked the one done by the Way of the Tiger guys... can't remember what it was called though

Utini

Post by Utini » Wed May 24, 2006 6:38 pm

I loved some of the Deathtrap books - some were a bit patchy though. Does anyone else remember the Mean Streets series by Kerrigan and Chalk? I loved those, but could only ever find the first two (perhaps they didn't release any others?)
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 25, 2006 3:26 am

Well i took a trip down memory lane, bought a fair few off ebay. Damn it brings back memories !!! Such a great simple idea back then, as they say the simple ideas are the best.

The Sorcery series of books are very good, specially Khare - Cityport of Traps.

As for the FF books, i love 1-20 as those were the ones i had as a kid, the later ones sound good but for me the original early ones are the ones i have to have !

Submerge

Post by Submerge » Thu May 25, 2006 4:15 am

are people better at them now that they are older, im still struggling, forest of doom my only success to date, thats using dice and never turning back when dead, and all the other 'cheats' to get round it.
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu May 25, 2006 4:31 am

Submerge wrote:are people better at them now that they are older, im still struggling, forest of doom my only success to date, thats using dice and never turning back when dead, and all the other 'cheats' to get round it.
Forest of Doom is one of those really hard ones that becomes impossible if you make one wrong choice in the whole book. You need to find the two parts of the hammer, and if you don't go to the right places to find them then you won't win. And the book gives no clues as to which directions you should go.

There are lots like that.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:00 am

Gonna have a go at the Sorcery series when i have time, remember loving Khare - Cityport of Traps and also the Crown of Kings.

Take me ages to complete properly so i'll cheat slightly but theyre a great quartet of books.

Belgarath

Re:

Post by Belgarath » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:18 am

savva0122 wrote: Also liked the one done by the Way of the Tiger guys... can't remember what it was called though
Talisman of Death?

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:16 am

Belgarath wrote:
savva0122 wrote: Also liked the one done by the Way of the Tiger guys... can't remember what it was called though
Talisman of Death?
Nope that was number 11 or 12 of the main FF series.

IIRC Avenger was the name of one of them?

Edit: I was right!! Yay me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Way-of-the-Tiger- ... dZViewItem

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:32 am

Er he said he liked the one done by the way of the tiger guys, so obviously it won't be way of the tiger. Talisman of Death was written by Mark Smith and Jamie Thomson who wrote the Way of the Tiger series (and a few others).

monkey010101

Post by monkey010101 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:55 am

Hi everyone,

I remember a two player one I had which had two books, one for each player. One of you played a wizard and one a warrior. It wasn't a fighting fantasy one though.
It actually worked quite well. What you did was both read the books at the same time and your characters had fairly seperate journies except at certain points you'd meet and have to discuss what to do. It was a weird experience to both be sitting there reading in silence and then all of a sudden both discussing something from the book.
I wish I could remember what it was called.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:36 am

monkey010101 wrote:Hi everyone,

I remember a two player one I had which had two books, one for each player. One of you played a wizard and one a warrior. It wasn't a fighting fantasy one though.
It actually worked quite well. What you did was both read the books at the same time and your characters had fairly seperate journies except at certain points you'd meet and have to discuss what to do. It was a weird experience to both be sitting there reading in silence and then all of a sudden both discussing something from the book.
I wish I could remember what it was called.
I played one of those with a friend too. It was quite surreal. I remember one part where we were going to barge into a hut full of bandits and we had to decide who was going to do what. It was weird to find my friend laughing before I'd even read the section in my book that told me that I fell down the chimney or something stupid like that.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian