Jackson and Livingstone - Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:29 am

Warlock of Firetop Mountain really p*ssed me off with that huge maze in it !

The Sorcery series of books were very good

CurseOfKa'zar

Post by CurseOfKa'zar » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:35 am

my game-book of choice was the Lone Wolf series ! I liked the mythology of it, very Jedi-like now that I look back at it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:49 am

I seem to remember a bizarre game book based on The Crystal Maze...can't find it anywhere but I definitely had one....
Also, what about the Choose Your Own Adventure books? I'm sure they came before FF but I might be wrong.

Sabreman

Re:

Post by Sabreman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:05 pm

djcarlos wrote:I seem to remember a bizarre game book based on The Crystal Maze...can't find it anywhere but I definitely had one....
Also, what about the Choose Your Own Adventure books? I'm sure they came before FF but I might be wrong.
http://www.gamebooks.org/show_item.php?id=709

Choose Your Own Adventure were the longest continuously-running gamebook series, but they tended to stick to a very basic choices format with no combat interactions. Fighting Fantasy was the series that really popularised the notion of a developing character throughout the story.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:06 am

:D Nice one! That's the puppy....

merman

Post by merman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:06 am

Fighting Fantasy games coming soon to DS/PSP...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:14 pm

Yeah, I'm waiting to see exactly what form they will take. Beautifully detailed locations with multiple choice routes and actions, and an enjoyable turn-based combat system is what I'm hoping for. Phoenix Wright more than anything has proved there's a strong market for adventure games on the DS at least.

Arcade-action hack 'n' slash stuff is what I'm not hoping for.

Utini

Post by Utini » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:38 pm

Awesome site here: http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

All the Lone Wolf series online, and more!
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:31 am

I played these things from the early days , I actually have issue one of Warlock knocking around at home with firetop moountain included.
I loved citadel of chaos the most but always ended up in a room with some things that killed youlike floaty head things or something. the hardest one I found that was a right barsteward was the House of Hell I always died in that one.
City of thieves was a good one and I remember finishing Isle of the lizard king or was it scorpion swamp ? mm
anyway all the books were ace.
i think vault of the vampire may have been one of the last ones I bought or possibly one called something like legion of doom or something
Retro when it wasnt cool

Submerge

Re:

Post by Submerge » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:51 am

Lindopski wrote:I played these things from the early days , I actually have issue one of Warlock knocking around at home with firetop moountain included.
I loved citadel of chaos the most but always ended up in a room with some things that killed youlike floaty head things or something. the hardest one I found that was a right barsteward was the House of Hell I always died in that one.
City of thieves was a good one and I remember finishing Isle of the lizard king or was it scorpion swamp ? mm
i think vault of the vampire may have been one of the last ones I bought or possibly one called something like legion of doom or something
Citadel of Chaos floaty chaps were the ganjees, horrible individuals!
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:53 am

Lindopski wrote:I played these things from the early days , I actually have issue one of Warlock knocking around at home with firetop moountain included.
You remembered quite a few of them ! Earlier in this thread i went down a nostalgic trip and bought numbers 1-18 off ebay ! Not too bad a price and DAMN it brings back some memories.

As with computer games, some of the earliest ones were the best, everyone remembers the first 3 books, some good ones later on as well. As they say the simplest ideas are the best, when these books first came out it was amazing.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:43 pm

House of Hell was one of the books included in the monthly challenge we do on the FF forums. I lost again (killed by devil-worshippers) - I've never beaten that book :(

The Lone Wolf books are getting reprinted/reedited (by Dever himself) starting next year, by the way. What's more, he's writing 4 new books to finish off the saga he started all those years ago.

Submerge

Re:

Post by Submerge » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:16 pm

psj3809 wrote:
You remembered quite a few of them ! Earlier in this thread i went down a nostalgic trip and bought numbers 1-18 off ebay ! Not too bad a price and DAMN it brings back some memories.

As with computer games, some of the earliest ones were the best, everyone remembers the first 3 books, some good ones later on as well. As they say the simplest ideas are the best, when these books first came out it was amazing.
How do you think they compare today to your childhood? Oh yeah, enjoying the raiders this season, havent seen you much on nfluk, browns and raiders, we chose well there didnt we!!!!

Submerge

Re:

Post by Submerge » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:18 pm

Sabreman wrote:House of Hell was one of the books included in the monthly challenge we do on the FF forums. I lost again (killed by devil-worshippers) - I've never beaten that book :(

The Lone Wolf books are getting reprinted/reedited (by Dever himself) starting next year, by the way. What's more, he's writing 4 new books to finish off the saga he started all those years ago.
are you sabreman over there to? Im submerge there as with here, dont post much, but ill up the count over xmas

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Yes, that's me :)

*waves*