Jackson and Livingstone - Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Submerge

Jackson and Livingstone - Fighting Fantasy

Post by Submerge » Fri May 19, 2006 8:49 am

Now who remembers these? Between 8-11 I spent most of my non gaming or footy time reading/playing these dice rolling adventures, some of the richest and most amazing stories/games I have ever read/played. Used to love the art, and the green spines, memories!

At 26 Ive just purchased 2 box sets, numbers 1-8, and the Sorcery series (1-4), these things are still hard as nails! All rereleased by Wizard with new cover art, beautiful!

What were peoples favourites? For me it had to be Citadel of Chaos, and Midnight Rouge, as well as all parts of the Sorcery series. Did many of you manage to finish any of them, i comleted Forest of Doom properly, and many others without the dice rolling, and keeping track of page numbers and 'continuing' when dead. Playing them properly now is far more satisfying, even though the missus thinks im an uber gimp rolling the dice, noting the hits and talking about orcs, inkeepers, gnomes etc...

More info here:

http://www.fightingfantasy.com/
http://www.ffproject.com/
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri May 19, 2006 9:09 am

Yep i remember these very well. There was another FF series published by TSR, the makers of Dungeons & Dragons. They were superb too, I had loads of those. And I think TSR even did a number of Indiana Jones "Choose Your Own Adventure" books along the same lines.

There was quite a craze with this disjointed adventure story style in the 80s. Does anyone remember the books that you got free with Weetabix tokens?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri May 19, 2006 10:04 am

I was sad when i sold all of mine a few years back but they were just sat there gathering dust.

The Sorcery books were very good, remember at the time being amazed that they went up to 500 or 600 instead of the standard 400 for FF books.

The original 3 were brilliant but the maze in Firetop Mountain was a bit boring.

Got so many kids into reading books, i remember they saved me a fair few times in the old days when i was on boring journeys with the folks driving us to Cornwall for a holiday.

Great books back in the day

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 19, 2006 10:36 am

Fantastic, spend hundreds of hours reading through them when I was younger... I think my favourite was Appointment With FEAR, the super-hero book.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri May 19, 2006 10:53 am

My favourites were

City of Thieves
Appointment with FEAR
Robot Commando
Sword of the Samurai
Creature of Havoc
Dead of Night

I loved them. There were loads of these style of gamebooks released in the 80s. Loads of them.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:10 am

Yeah like you say they spawned so many others, i did try the odd one with someone else but i felt a bit of a traitor and went back and stuck with the original FF books.

Such a simple idea back then but a great one (best ideas are normally the most simple). Funny to see them now up to about #50 ! The original early ones were the best.

I used to get annoyed when instead of dying because of a monster you basically just did the wrong choice and then after hours of getting somewhere you flicked to say #312 and it said 'you have taken a wrong turn and walked off the cliff' kinda of thing ! Start again !

Along with an 8 bit computer back in the 80's these books were just as good

Come on admit it, how many of us tried to create our own book back then ?!

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Fri May 19, 2006 11:54 am

psj3809 wrote:Come on admit it, how many of us tried to create our own book back then ?!
I actually wrote a series of about 20 books back when I was at school, and my headmaster sent them to a publisher friend of his. :oops:

They were poor, but the last one I wrote (which used lots of different sided dice) was my crowning achievement. I was pretty proud of that one. I threw them all out at some crazy point in my life and I regret it.

I changed my numbering system about half-way through the series because number 9 ('Karateka') went missing at school while I was in the middle of writing it. I think one of the cleaners binned it.

I couldn't be bothered to start again, so ditched 'Karateka' and wrote another one.

Unfinished, original 'Karateka' book = R@RE.

I wouldn't say that I was obsessed but...well, I was really.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

James A

Post by James A » Fri May 19, 2006 12:07 pm

They went up to No 58.

On a similar vain did anyone have any of the Lone Wolf books. I prefered these to the Fighting Fantasy.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Fri May 19, 2006 1:36 pm

James A wrote:They went up to No 58.

On a similar vain did anyone have any of the Lone Wolf books. I prefered these to the Fighting Fantasy.
Yes, and the way that they handled the development of your character from book to book was very good.

Tertullian

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 19, 2006 3:40 pm

Deathtrap Dungeon was my favourite
Starship Traveller was rock hard-did anyone finish this one?

I also liked the one where you were in a car in a post-apocalyptic world.can't remember the name of that one though
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 19, 2006 3:46 pm

There was quite a craze with this disjointed adventure story style in the 80s. Does anyone remember the books that you got free with Weetabix tokens?[/quote]

Was one were you were in a Bugatti?
Can you remember any details?
It's definately ringing a bell....
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Submerge

Re:

Post by Submerge » Fri May 19, 2006 4:37 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Deathtrap Dungeon was my favourite
Starship Traveller was rock hard-did anyone finish this one?

I also liked the one where you were in a car in a post-apocalyptic world.can't remember the name of that one though
That would be Fereeway Fighter?

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Fri May 19, 2006 7:43 pm

Believe it or not there is a whole new range of Fighting Fantasy style books recently released based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I've tried one of them and it was pretty good...a bit short and really easy but well worth picking up.
There is about 6 in the series already.

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Fri May 19, 2006 8:21 pm

Yes - I have recently bought the box set of the first 6 FF books and the 4 book Sorcery series recently. I had them all as a kid in the early eighties and it's easy to forget the impact they had at the time. When 'Warlock Of Firetop Mountain' was first published it was revolutionary as far as I know.

I also had the first couple of Lone Wolf books too - they were quite good.

I've noticed my local 'The Works' are selling hefty looking 'Advanced D&D' board games at the mo - nit & sealed for just £8.99. I've been tempted...
Last edited by GetDexter on Sat May 20, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Submerge

Re:

Post by Submerge » Sat May 20, 2006 3:52 am

GetDexter wrote:Yes - I have recently bought the box set of the first 6 FF books and the 4 book Sorcery series recently. I had them all as a kid in the early eighties and it's easy to forget the impact they had at the time. When 'Warlock Of Firetop Mountain' was first published it was revolutionary as far as I know.

I also had the first couple of Lone Wolf books too - they were quite good.

I'venoticed my local 'The Works' are selling hefty looking 'Advanced D&D' board games at the mo - nit & sealed for just £8.99. I've been tempted...
The new ones are very loyal to the old set (the late 80s set) - just missing the green spine, and the logo has changed. New cover artwork is excellent, and v pleased they kept the internal artwork the same.

Going to have a spin on Creature of Havoc today, anyone remember that, had the best cover of the earlier books, you played a creature but you had memory loss and all of your movements were guided by dice rolls, the story was deeeeeeeeeeeeep.