What was your fave tv show growing up?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fred83

Re: What was your fave tv show growing up?

Post by Fred83 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:23 am

Father ted!

SuperKonker

Post by SuperKonker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Pokemon. Cos imma youngling :3

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:35 am

Fred83 wrote:Father ted!
Good call. Can't beat a bit of fecking Father Ted (Cup of tea. Father?). Used to watch Bottom growing up. Thats where my sense of humour comes from. But I used to love Fun House with old Mop Top Pat Sharp. Mind you, the twins were an added bonus. Both sets of them :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:14 pm

I'll have to say ,jossies giants ,on in the middle to late eighties.i would just get in from playing in one of my school's footy matches (deleval primary (up in newcastle )) and either catch it from the start or the last five minutes .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogafcRBl8Uw
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Behind the music.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:03 am

SHARKY AND GEORGE :lol:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Fred83 wrote:SHARKY AND GEORGE :lol:
The crime busters of the sea :D
I've just ordered Big John Little John on dvd off Amazon.
Splink!

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:21 pm

The old Looney Tunes cartoons. They'll NEVER makes cartoons like that again!

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Jeremiah Jones wrote:The old Looney Tunes cartoons. They'll NEVER makes cartoons like that again!
Seconded there. If I remember, on Southern they used to be on Sunday lunchtime, and in a Sat morning just before Thunderbirds (or Sting Ray, or UFO, depending on what was showing). Those would be my fave shows, and like most people of the age, yeah, in 1992 I was rushing to get home to watch the re-runs on TV. Lol, as were most of the SNCOs and older JNCOs on camp too!

One early show that only I seem to remember is "The Pink Panther Show". The end credits was a kid climbing into some awesomely amazing looking car with a dash that would have done NASA proud, and driving off. This was show about 5pm on Southern.

Water Margin was another favourite, and oddly enough that PI series, which I cannot remember the name of! James Gardner.... its bugging me, esp as I'm whistling the theme tune! And of course, The 6 Million Dollar Man. These were all on past my bed time in the mid-70's so it was a treat to watch them. I got a couple of bionic man DVDS... um, better left as nostalgic memories! At least the first series wasnt tooo bad. Never did work out how he could brace himself with his normal human arm though ;-) Anyone remember Bitronics, stickers in a magazine, "better than bionic"? The Rockford Files! Classic cheesy american lightweight stuff. Hawaiai 5-Oh, though I really remember only one as it figured in a nightmare I had, something to do with sports stands...

Noel Edmunds Swapshop! and Tiswaz, and of course Tizwas for grownups ;-) Some might remember "The Saturday Banana" on Southern, hosted by Bill Oddie. I was on the second one show, competing in "runaround" (won by Paul Gwellow, who won a portable TV). Odd choice, as the presenter appeared to detest kids... as Clive Raven found when he asked for an autograph. There again, I hate other peoples children so I dont blame him.

Later 70s was Blakes 7 and Grange Hill, the later was "awesome" because we were the same age and same year as the fictional characters, so Tucker et al started and left school same time as us. B7 got a bit cheesy towards the end though. Dr Who with Jon Pertwee was another "must see", and Tom Baker until his character/storylines became comical. There was a world of difference between hiding behind the sofa when the cybermen appeared, and the later Tom Baker episodes.

Going Out. Awesome, limited to Southern, and has a cult following of its own. Another Phil Redmond creation.

At 40-something, am Igrown up yet? Nah, The Bill in the 1980s (we only got 1 channel abroad, that was all I watched really, except for the AWESOME "A Kick Up the 80s" with Kevin Bloody whatever his name was, Turner? Rik Mayall anyway), Thunderbirds in the early 90s, Londons Burning, The Bill, Sharpe and X-Files of course.

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:22 pm

I simply adored Dr. Who. After Peter Davison was replaced with Colin Baker, I stuck with it. When it went on hiatus, I was heartbroken.

Once I read an ad in a newspaper for a meeting of Dr. Who fans. I had my mother drive me there. It was very strange, a few people milling around a room in scarves looking at tables with books and badges and models.

I never could quite get past the fact that I was the only child there. Very strange.

I don't watch the new series. I am told that it is very good, but it simply isn't the same to me without the rubber monster costumes and wobbly sets. There is something about needing to use your imagination to bring the story to life that appeals to me.

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:16 am

Captain Scarlett, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Thundercats...loads more :lol:
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:39 pm

If you're of a certain age and grew up in the '70s (like wot I did) these two up coming compilations might bring back some memories.

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info. ... ts_id=1055 for your lunchtime treats

and

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info. ... ts_id=1056 for after school fare.

The Look-In tie-in is nice, too. Each comes with a free comic :)

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:20 am

Yep, Swap Shop, Tizwaz, The Flashing Blade (whoaa flashback!!) Monkey, Ludwig the blue alien egg thingy.

Nienna

Post by Nienna » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Grange Hill
As quoted by Mike Wilson: plz join my group i need justice for my son!! Just join my group and pass it on n so on!! plz help me and most of all help Liam get justice http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-f ... 9196440290

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 am

Well, where to start! Ok, in no particular order:

Banana Splits
Trumpton
Chigley
Camberwick Green
Monkey!
Water Margin
Harold Lloyd
Terrahawks
Star Fleet
Swap Shop