When Rap Was Great!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

OldSkoolCoolFool

Re: When Rap Was Great!

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 am

Action Bronson... I can't get enough of this guy...

Brunch. http://youtu.be/fPCQgzA1cnU

Hot Shots Part Deux. http://youtu.be/WpiFF6K1iZQ

The Symbol. http://youtu.be/J2AHvZWojSc
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:55 am

Theres been one or two acts that have performed well (grandmaster flash, run dmc) but this does not make the genre as a whole any good unfortunately, todays worsening of the style makes it even worse to have to listen to and I dont care much for it to be honest, especially when its just mouth blasting.

That and if I come across one more idiot who says "music is my life man" and all they listen to is rap and hiphop, im gonna nut em, music is more then 2 ruddy genres! *scowl*

PSN username - MartinPhantom

chiptraxxx

Post by chiptraxxx » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:40 am

90s rap is my favourite, public enemy, mobb deep and some others,
also into heavy metal :D

spuggybridge

Post by spuggybridge » Fri May 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Loved rap in the early 80's to mid 90's from artists such as Whodini, Egyptian Lover, Captain Rock, World Class Wreckin Cru up to artists such as Kool Moe Dee, BDP/KRS ONE (my favourite), Stetsasonic, Schooly D, EPMD etc, never understood the fascination with Public Enemy though always thought KRS 1/BDP was better, in my opinion.

These days I'd sooner listen to acts such as Nine Black Alps, The Do's, Dead Sons etc as modern Rap has degenerated into bragging dance rubbish.

The Sane Psycho

Post by The Sane Psycho » Sun May 18, 2014 8:59 am

There is actually quite a bit of good modern Hip Hop out there. You just aren't going to find a lot of it in the mainstream.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:13 am

There's really not.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Sane Psycho

Post by The Sane Psycho » Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:There's really not.
I disagree. Astro, Cata9tales, Gorillaz (although they are extremely popular), Hopsin, etc. If you only look at Top 40 Rap, you're going to get mostly crap, of course. But there are still good Hip Hop artists out there. Maybe not as good as '80s or '90s Hip Hop, but still good.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:26 am

That implies its ever been good :lol:

Don't mind me, I'm just following my dutiful requirement to say its all (c)rap every once in a while. If you like it, great, its fine that you have bad taste in 'music' ;)
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Sane Psycho

Post by The Sane Psycho » Sun May 18, 2014 10:39 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:That implies its ever been good :lol:

Don't mind me, I'm just following my dutiful requirement to say its all (c)rap every once in a while. If you like it, great, its fine that you have bad taste in 'music' ;)
Hey, it's all good. I can respect other opinions. As for me, there is only one genre in existence in which I absolutely hate with a passion and will refuse to listen to, and that is Crunkcore. Blood On The Dance Floor in particular may be the worst "artist" of all time.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:That implies its ever been good :lol:

Surely if you dont like rap you would simply stay out of the thread ? ! Considering theres been people on this forum admitting to worse crimes like enjoying Robbie Williams or enjoying watching semi naked men grapple with each other and fans arguing over fake fights (Wrestling) i'm surprised you post here ! Attack the others who admit they like those far worst crimes ! ;)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Those other things aren't quite as annoying as rap though. I keep checking in once in a while to see if anyone's posted anything to change my mind. Its not like there's any great discussion going on (which isn't surprising given the topic).

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:47 am

Saw a good documentary on youtube about NWA, enjoyed watching that, still tunes like Straight Outta Compton, F*ck the police and Express yourself are 3 great tunes. Sad about Easy-E as well.

Now Dr Dre is the first rap billionaire ! Come a long way from the early 90's living in Compton !

Still like finding some old Public Enemy favourites on youtube, classic group back in the day.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I keep checking in once in a while to see if anyone's posted anything to change my mind. Its not like there's any great discussion going on (which isn't surprising given the topic).
I gave up a loooong time ago trying to get my non hip-hop head friends to actually like the music. I could give a ton of examples to dispove the mostly negative stereotypes of the genre but actually changing the musical tastes of a person is a lot tougher. Real hip-hop is something of an acquired taste and to really appreciate it you do have to put a fair bit of effort in.

Unfortunately there is a hell of a lot of disposable crap (as there is in all genres) and its this crap that seems to sell best and get all the attention in the mainstream.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:38 pm

I've probably mentioned this already, but for me the best hip hop was from the early 90s when the whole "West Coast Gangster Rap" and "G-Funk Era" all started - all the early Dr Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg stugg is where it's at for me.

Other than that, a lot of 80s rap is pretty good - but it all went down hill after Eminem an "fiddy" (50 cent) started getting in on the act.
Rap is no longer about the hidden political message, oppression, gangster (or sometimes anti-gangster) etc. and now it's all about "me b*tches and me hoes" and being all blinged up - nowadays it's all about which rapper is the biggest c0ck!

Provvidenza

Post by Provvidenza » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:13 am

Started out listening to Grand Master Flash and most of the other Sugar Hill artists, but the later 80's stuff was really cool. DJ Cash Money & MC Marveous, Stetasonics, EPMD, Jungle Brothers, KRS1, Mantronix, De La Soul and Public Enemy of course. I have happy memories of all those albums and 12" singles, wish I still had them now, but luckily most of the stuff can be found on you-tube anyway.
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.