Acorn to return

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Acorn to return

Post by necronom » Fri May 05, 2006 6:25 am

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 05, 2006 6:36 am

Yawn. Not really a story is it? Windows XP PDA? The REAL Acorn would be doing something innovative.

Wake me up if they announce built-in emulation of all the old Acorn/BBC machines ;)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri May 05, 2006 8:36 am

Yeah, not really much to do with the Acorn we all know, but you could run some emulators on it...

Imhotep

Re: Acorn to return

Post by Imhotep » Sun May 14, 2006 6:09 pm

necronom wrote:http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/05 ... rs_reborn/

Nice to see them back.
Well from what I can gather from various sources in the post-Acorn world this is nothing
to do with Acorn Computers of the 80s and 90s . It is simply someone sticking Acorn Computer logos on Windows XP laptops.

This company are claiming that they are the same Acorn, but it appears to be nothing more than a marketing gimmick to make their laptops stand out from everyone elses.

How legal and above board it is I don't know but this company certainly isn't the same lot from Cambridge thats for sure, shame as it would be great if it was then maybe the would finish the Risc PC II AKA Phoebe!!

So everybody ignore them and hopefully they'll go away !!

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Thu May 18, 2006 1:51 pm

Yet another attempt to cash in on a familiar name, just like like the idiots marketing "Commodore" branded crap... :x

Imhotep

Re:

Post by Imhotep » Thu May 18, 2006 3:35 pm

andy vaisey wrote:Yet another attempt to cash in on a familiar name, just like like the idiots marketing "Commodore" branded crap... :x
It certainly is exactly that, this lot are no more Acorn Computers than I am, they have registered the name somehow and then copied the original Acorn logo almost exacty, and are playing on the success of a previous company to get sales.

The REAL new and not so new Acorn computers are from companies who are manufacturing computers using Acorn's Operating system RISC OS - these are Castle Technology with their Iyonix, Advantage 6 with their brand new this weekend A9 the size of a CD drive, and the Operating system is still being developed by RISC OS Ltd. and also the Virtual Acorn (run the latest versions of RISC os on your PC)

Who will get ripped off next ? Sinclair , Atari ?

OriginalJax

Re:

Post by OriginalJax » Fri May 19, 2006 2:59 pm

Imhotep wrote:Who will get ripped off next ? Sinclair , Atari ?
Erm, Infogrames bought Atari quite a while ago... and yes, as we all expected, they destroyed the reputation of a once-mighty brand.

It's not uncommon for companies to buy up older ones just to use the name - at the time they buy them the old companies are either dying or essentially dead already, though. Looking back, it's often preferable to allow these companies to just fade and leave only good memories :(

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:59 pm

I didn't know that the company went busted. I remembered using the Acorn computers back in those school days. :)

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:06 pm

thl wrote:I didn't know that the company went busted. I remembered using the Acorn computers back in those school days. :)
The company split into two businesses, ARM (Advanced Risc Machines) developing the RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Chip) chips that are now used in many things from mobile phones to Internet fridges. Acorn was eventually taken over by Pace, the set-top box company.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:16 am

And it has to be said, ARM are doing really quite well. They provide cpus for both SP and DS I think.

So if you do want a real acorn, buy a DS.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

thl

Post by thl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:12 am

During that time when the Acorn computer was available at school, a friend of mine said to me that the company went busted. I believed in what he had said.

Most of all, I understand the point what Merman said yesterday.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:45 am

Well, you couldn't "Bring back" acorn computers really could you? The market would be so niche they'd never make any money...Beside, i picked up an electron at a booty for 50p a few weeks back, can't get better value than that!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

thl

Post by thl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:53 am

I remembered playing several titles on that Acorn computers despite it's all demo. Games such as Hamster caused a lot of controversy that the teachers were so disgusted by the level of violence. :o

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:01 pm

My form Tutor had kept a load of acorns including 2 BBC Micros, We used to mess about with them alot, 2 mates of mine got banned from using them as they got some voice regonition programme to swear heaviley about a teacher. They were bloody good fun until our form got moved downstairs to a smaller room and there wasen't room for them, so they got put into the thing called storage. Shame really. I have since left school and my Form Tutor retired