Anyone collect Digital watches ?????

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rainbird rich

Re: Anyone collect Digital watches ?????

Post by rainbird rich » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:16 am

I don't collect them, but I do remember that my first digital watch was a Trafalgar LED as well. That was followed up by a Star Wars LED watch, which was then replaced by a Trafalgar LCD watch (moving into the early 1980s now), which was then replaced by a CASIO calculator watch, etc. etc.
oldtimer wrote:Yet another of my collecting fads....anybody collect early Digital watches particualy LED versions.....
Ive been collecting since the late 70s having been given an early Trafalgar LED Watch for my birthday in the late 70s...still got it and it still works.
I love anything from the 70s.
Anyone else as mad as me ?
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

Panic Button

Post by Panic Button » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:04 am

I collect LED watches from the 70s! I've got > 10 at the moment. They're all brushed stainless steel and include:

Pulsar P3 Date Command:

Pulsar Time Computer - the first calculator watch:

Pulsar Ladies:

Bulova 'Side View' Computron:

Wittnauer Polara:

Ragen Synchronar 2100 - perhaps the highligh of my collection, the world's first solar powered watch:

I've also got a Timex Ladies, a Megatron, a Sharp and a couple of unidentifable brands, pictures of which I can't find...

I just love the retro futuristic styling of vintage led watches!

I also have a Spaceman Audacieuse which is not an led but a regular windup. It also dates from the mid seventies and has a fantastic exotic shape:

I've also got a Calcu-pen. Not strictly a watch at all, but an LED calculator on a pen!

I've also got a Seiko Data 2000, dating from 1983:

Image[/img]

www.ledwatches.net is good resource for vintage LED watches.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:41 am

David wrote:A guy in my primary school class had a watch that you could use to change TV channels.

It was great for the weekly TV time in school.

Teachers already have a huge problem with trying to figure out how to plug a TV in and get it set up to show us Geordie Racer, so us messing about and changing the channels and volume every time she sorted it was great fun!

poor old bugger probably topped herself due to stress come to think of it :?
I had the exact same watch, and one day, the teachers set up the TV in the assembly hall for assembly in front of the head, and I was bored with the crap they made us watch (something about Magic Magic E) so I decided to have some fun with my remote TV watch. It took them ages to work out what was wrong with it! It wasn't until after assembly that one of the teachers cottoned on (and it was only because my so-called best mate was talking loudly about said watch) :lol:

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:58 pm

You can still do that with a PSP...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:33 pm

I bought the fella one of those Atari Fossil watches last Christmas.

He's got the Breakout version similar to this:

Just a shame you can't play it :P

DigitalWatches

Yea i am the collector and Seller too..!

Post by DigitalWatches » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:30 pm

ahaa found a nice forum thread on Google search about vintage retro digital watches..

So dear folks!

i am the collector and seller of Vintage Retro Rare Classic Nerd Digital LCD Watches from 70s and 80s. I am mentioning the websites of my for your knowledge about Vintage Digital LCD Watches. so please don't consider its as a spam.

http://www.VintageDigitalWatches.com

http://www.CasioDigitalWatches.com

http://www.SeikoDigitalWatches.com

http://www.RareDigitalWatches.com

hope you like these all...!

Thanks
Kashif

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:38 pm

Is it spam or isn't it? Bit weird how you registered all those domains when a simple www.ilikedigitalwatchesabittoomuch.com would do....
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:00 pm

I had this one for about 3 days before some git nicked it during gym class:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Casio/FootballWatch.htm

I was gutted. Harped on for ages at my folks to get me a game watch, there was no way they'd replace it and I had no cash myself.

I guess that taught me not to buy stuff other people thought was cool and to stick to my own thing. Why I had a football watch in the first place I really don't know. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Wasn't too bad a game iirc. Not that I remember clearly thanks to that scumbag tealeaf.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:07 pm

I had one of these.

http://toyarchive.com/Diaclone/Kronofor ... Robot.html

First time I wore it it detatched from the strap, which was supposed to be a feature, fell on the floor and smashed to bits :lol:
Splink!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re:

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:56 am

woody.cool wrote:
David wrote:A guy in my primary school class had a watch that you could use to change TV channels.

It was great for the weekly TV time in school.

Teachers already have a huge problem with trying to figure out how to plug a TV in and get it set up to show us Geordie Racer, so us messing about and changing the channels and volume every time she sorted it was great fun!

poor old bugger probably topped herself due to stress come to think of it :?
I had the exact same watch, and one day, the teachers set up the TV in the assembly hall for assembly in front of the head, and I was bored with the crap they made us watch (something about Magic Magic E) so I decided to have some fun with my remote TV watch. It took them ages to work out what was wrong with it! It wasn't until after assembly that one of the teachers cottoned on (and it was only because my so-called best mate was talking loudly about said watch) :lol:
Poor Woody for getting caught over that. My brother also had the TV changing watch. We went around the town centre one time and it was early morning and we saw a Rumblelows. The store was still closed, but there was a shop assistant in there - we waited until he gone out the back and then my brother then set some of their TVs up to really loud and then switched them into standby! The poor shop assistant came into the store and then switched the TVs back on and got the shock of his life because they were so loud!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :)

I have had two Casio watches in the past. I did have a really great calculator watch which could also store telephone numbers from Casio. Remembering back to school and the teachers used to go nuts if a a watch's alarm went off(this was pre mobile phone days!). I also remember one of the GCSE Maths exams you weren't allowed to bring in calculators so you had to take off the watch!

My next Casio was a much simpler one which just told the time and had an alarm and a stopwatch. Sadly with both the two Casios I owned their wrist strap broke on both of them. I replaced the wrist strap on my second Casio, but after the second one broke I decided to get a different watch.

At the moment I have got a Seiko Kinetic wristwatch with a stainless steel strap(so it won't break)! It recharges its won battery by movement! I am thinking of getting an Accurist.

Brilad

Post by Brilad » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Ah, this is one of the things I think about from time to time.

Being at primary school until 1983, we had the first computers in schools etc (or nearly) and the casio calculators/watches.

now and again I think it would be cool to get an original casio game10.

I love all the LCD games/grandstand tabletops/early Game and Watches from that time. Any bit of shiny plastic from then basically. :D

Meurglys68

Post by Meurglys68 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:27 pm

I don't collect digital watches although I have been debating with myself about buying a modern one. Out of curiosity, did anybody get the infamous Cassette 50 games compilation and more pertinently did they get the digital watch that came with it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_50