Retro Films With Retro Games in em!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

devilman

Post by devilman » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:04 am

Not a film as such, but D.P.O., an X-Files episode from Season 3 has an arcade in it with a fair few games on show, with the main villian of the piece being a master at Virtua Fighter and DPO being the initials he uses on the high score table.

LDX#40

Post by LDX#40 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:05 am

Turkish science fiction parody "G.O.R.A." has a C64 in it. Not used for playing games, but to upload combat routines into the main character's mind :P

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:10 am

LDX#40 wrote:Turkish science fiction parody "G.O.R.A." has a C64 in it. Not used for playing games, but to upload combat routines into the main character's mind :P
Yeah, I used to do that to my brother all the time. Plug it into his head and then...

10 PRINT "KILL! MUST KILL!"
20 GOTO 10
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:21 am

Ok, lets set a few things straight...

D.A.R.Y.L is by far the best film mentioned, as a kid I could recite the whole film (whilst watching it on mute) - my dad described it as sad, very very sad.

Swingers is brilliant and a big heads up to whoever mentioned that.

Ferris Bueller is John Hughes best ever film, no argument, shut up. Breakfast was great but ferris all the way - and in relation to the neighbours point of using the computer to change his school grades. Ferris did that, but to change the amount of sick days he'd had :)

Kevin Smith has made some terrible films (as well as great ones) Jersey Girl is just utter pooh, and jasbsb is toss as well - clerks, mallrats and amy are all great though.

and lastly, and most importantly RED DWARF - kryten says "Starbugs crashed more times than a ZX81" BRILLIANT!!! :):):)

end of.

mr pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:47 pm

pforson wrote:Ok, lets set a few things straight...

D.A.R.Y.L is by far the best film mentioned, as a kid I could recite the whole film (whilst watching it on mute) - my dad described it as sad, very very sad.

Your Dad sounds like a very sensible man.

Swingers is brilliant and a big heads up to whoever mentioned that.

Ferris Bueller is John Hughes best ever film, no argument, shut up. Breakfast was great but ferris all the way - and in relation to the neighbours point of using the computer to change his school grades. Ferris did that, but to change the amount of sick days he'd had :)

Utter rubbish, Breakfast Club is far, far better than Ferris, as is Planes, trains and Auto... Ferrris is just a naughty, thiefing little censored who had no respect for one of the sexist cars ever made.

Kevin Smith has made some terrible films (as well as great ones) Jersey Girl is just utter pooh, and jasbsb is toss as well - clerks, mallrats and amy are all great though.

My mrs says Jersey girl is a great film and anything with Jay and Bob in can never be described as "TOSS"... J & B are funny just standing still. End of.!

and lastly, and most importantly RED DWARF - kryten says "Starbugs crashed more times than a ZX81" BRILLIANT!!! :):):)

GRRRR how the hell did I forget that one..? Good call.

end of.

mr pete

LDX#40

Post by LDX#40 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:17 pm

[...] who had no respect for one of the *sexist* cars ever made.

SEXIST car? Gotta watch that movie again (or find the car)...

:D

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:22 pm

It was KITT's less respectable brother :)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:24 pm

KARR lol

Note to self :

Must cheak speeling, must cheak speeling...

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:21 pm

Electric Dreams had the main character chased thru his house by pac-man.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:02 pm

yakmag wrote:Electric Dreams had the main character chased thru his house by pac-man.

Are you sure it wasn't Ghost?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:09 am

Doom had a handheld in it (cant remember at the moment what it was) and of course the awesome scene near the end of the film hehe
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:15 am

Grosse Point Blank had a kid playing Doom on an arcade machine totally unaware of the gun fight going on in the shop. (Had headphones on)

drws

Post by drws » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:27 pm

In the movie Judgment Night, As the main cast get in a big top-of-the-range RV, Cuba Gooding Jr. grabs a NES Lightgun and pretends to shoot the other guys. The NES is sitting atop a TV.
No-one actually gets around to playing the thing though.
Considering this RV is meant to be the best thing going, and it is 1993, you'd think it would have come with a snes. :D

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:53 am

drws wrote:In the movie Judgment Night, As the main cast get in a big top-of-the-range RV, Cuba Gooding Jr. grabs a NES Lightgun and pretends to shoot the other guys. The NES is sitting atop a TV.
No-one actually gets around to playing the thing though.
Considering this RV is meant to be the best thing going, and it is 1993, you'd think it would have come with a snes. :D
Hey, if that's the same film I'm thinking of then it's quite good.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:23 pm

Anyone mention Gremlins yet?