Some Mothers Do 'ave 'em

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

David

Some Mothers Do 'ave 'em

Post by David » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 am

Have been watching a few episodes of this on sky recently and have never realised just how funny it was until recently.

a vastly underrated show in my opinion

any fans?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 am

Flying Lesson. Classic.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 am

I just love the way that Spencer can reduce normal , professional people into gibbering wrecks

The psychiatrist one is my all time favourite

"Every day in every way , I'm getting better and better!" :lol:

BTW Anyone remember 'Ballad of Frank Spencer' by the Barron Knights?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLS8ChBz1c
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:50 am

Loved this show when i was a kid but i'm really into retro games but retro TV shows just age sooo badly and i cant watch them for long. Think my sense of humour/taste in tv shows has changed sooo much from when i was much younger.

Still love Fawlty Towers but some mothers do ave em i couldnt sit through much nowadays

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:02 am

There was one episode where he was doing a cabaret type act, swinging his mic around but he swings it into the floor, I think setting off a load of sparks, that really made me laugh.
Splink!

David

Post by David » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:31 am

paranoid marvin wrote: The psychiatrist one is my all time favourite

"Every day in every way , I'm getting better and better!" :lol:
haha this is the episode I just saw that prompted me to post this thread

Also, reading your reply made me burst out laughing while on the phone in work :D

When the psychiatrist is trying to get him to pretend to be an angry customer, and he's trying to get himself mad and then the best he comes out with it "You..............DEVIL!" almost made me die of laughing

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:33 am

Oh betty!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:34 am

he was rumoured to do his own stunts right?

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:52 am

yeah he did..the nut job...that's what makes them so realistic and not a Grey wig in sight..like the A-team stunt doubles...lol

Greyfox
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 pm

i just think its funny when he proudly proclaims:

'hm hm........im a failure!'
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:45 am

I caught a bit of one last night - Frank had some bloke round for some insurance claim.

The bloke was Richard Wilson - Obviously getting into practice for a future role as he was a grumpy b*stard.

What was great though was that there was a scene where they all sat down but Richard Wilson sunk into his chair. They were all sitting in a row but he was significantly lower down than Frank & Betty - You have to see it but its one of those great moments of visual comedy and timing.

But the best thing was that Crawford started to smirk, Richard Wilson tried to hold it in - he just about managed it for a few seconds but couldn't hold on any longer and cracked up before getting back into character.

Its stuff like that which makes me laugh and makes shows like this great - You don't see that anymore - Today, it would have been cut and they would have done another take, and the only place we would see that is on those sh*tty blooper shows.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:07 am

I'n not as enamoured by it as I once was but it is still good fun. Do like the set pieces, though, and some of the stunts are remarkable - I love the roller skates sequence. :)

Never did, though, and still doesn't square up in any way to the might of the incomparable Fawlty Towers; that show can still leave me crying with laughter. :D

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:35 pm

The episode where he played the Angel Gabriel at a nativity play is one of my faves flying up through the roof!, Anyone remember Condorman?

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:13 am

Cornervizion wrote: Anyone remember Condorman?
I own this of VHS, always a film I have enjoyed :oops:
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Love the one when he gives Mr Lewis a lift (cos his Zephyr's door was knocked off by a Milk Float!), in his 2CV, he is a gas fitter and goes in to a house to fix a problem, after a few minutes there's an explosion, all the windows blow out and fire erupts... the front door opens a burnt Spencer walks out, turns round and says "I'm sorry, that's the best I can do".... genius...

Also the bit in the episode whern they left their old house, he shuts the door and drives off... within a few seconds, bit by bit the house totally collapses... comedy gold... :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip