What Do You REALLY Think Of Little Britain?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 pm

I like it!

Although, the success of Little Britain has caused a lot of truly awful sketch shows to be commissioned.

Katy Brand's Big Ass Show for example.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:38 pm

A pile of horse crap.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:15 pm

tom baker is definately the highlight of a average program, near enough all his commentary before clips are pure gold, such as bum troubler and bottom enthusiast when describing dafyd :lol: and tbh i find tom a lot funnier than the clips.

i think what ruined it for me was people impersonating characters from the show, there's only so many times i can stand some muppet repeatedly saying "i want that one, yeah i know" all day long.

the first time round i loved the program, but thought some of the clips went a little too far, the summer fete with the jams and marmalade for example..

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:37 am

its amusing rather than funny.

the only skit i really enjoy in it is the 'pirate memory game' guy because of the ridiculous but specific requests.

not really an endorsment of the show though...

and a little bit of fry and laurie was a good sketch show, theres quite a few snippits on youtube.

laurie singing 'the states' always brings a smile...

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:24 am

JackPainter wrote:I like it!

Although, the success of Little Britain has caused a lot of truly awful sketch shows to be commissioned.

Katy Brand's Big Ass Show for example.
Like Little Britain, Katy Brand's stuff is hit and miss, but when it's 'hit', it's hilarious.....I really like Katy Brand's 'Because I'm the fookin' Queen!' sketches for instance. But when it's 'miss', it's cringeworthy and sucks donkey balls.

As has been said, the best comedy shows are the ones that do something completely new or different each week. Which is why stuff like Monty Python will always be more fondly remembered than Little Britain.

Even using the same format each week, sitcoms used to be way better than the tosh we've get nowadays.....I'd much rather watch repeats of Steptoe, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em or whatever than new episodes of something like any episodes of My Family after series 2, or My Hero (and believe me, I've tried to enjoy them :( )
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:33 am

I do like a few of the sketches in LB.

Not sure on all the names but I do like the Mr Mann one (the "Dissatisfied Horse" one in particular), "Computer say's no", The Prime Minister and his assistant, a couple of the Vicky Pollard ones and the character that has a thing for OAP's (played by Walliams).

As someone else has already said, it's not funny, but can be amusing to a certain degree.

Some of the skits are downright crass and just courting controversy, just so word of mouth spreads and makes a few column inches to get more attention/bigger audience figures.

The most disgusting and puerile skit is the old lady that suffers inconstinance.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:48 am

I have a really annoying problem wherby if I watch a show that I like becase its a bit close to the knuckle or aloof like LB series 1,League of Gentlemen series 1,Nighty Night series1, catherine tate series 1 (you see where im going with this?)
Then Suddenly it becomes a hit at the comedy awards and moves from bbc3 to bbc2 or 1 and suddenly wallows in its own cockiness and alienates the original fanbase spewing out tired and lazy sketches galloping towards that illustrious playground repeated catchphrase,thats when I start to hate something.
Before Gavin and Stacey went massive I thought it was a beautiful and brilliantly observed comedy yet daily I hear people saying " oh ...whats occurring" and mimicking Rob Brydon......
Anywhoo Little Britain for me after series 1 lost it totally and relied far too much on shock tactics than it normally did...Dafydd suddenly not being able to buy Gay times turned into Vicars probing dildoes and butt plugs - just for shock value yet no laughs....sad.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:55 am

LB and other shows like it are a bit 'hit and miss' if you ask me.
SOme really funny laughs at times, but most of the time, it's crap!

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:33 am

When I first watched it I liked Vikki Pollard and hoped some of the chav ho's would realise this was how ordinary people saw them. The rest left me a bit cold really, Was never a huge fan of the Fast Show but I used to love Harry Enfields shows. The new version Harry and Paul is OK and did have one sketch that really got me (the Dragons Den One)

My favourite sketch shows recently have been impression based shows like dead ringers, 2DTV and Head Cases.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:45 am

Im on the fence with LB, things like Vicky Pollard werent funny the first time and their no better now.

I went off LB when it went from a show on late night bbc3 to prime time bbc1 so it has to fit into the more "mainstream" market.

Im going to watch LB USA to see what theyve done, but I dont think the show is that funny on the whole. Some characters are good, and some are just crap.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:54 am

Tapey297 wrote:My favourite sketch shows recently have been impression based shows like dead ringers, 2DTV and Head Cases.
These are normally the kinds of shows that I can't stand!

Head Cases is ok though.

Harry & Paul is ok. I like the DJs and Saw You Coming.

When exactly is Little Britain USA on?
Press Play On Tape

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:04 am

I used to hate it - then I got into it and thought it was pretty good - but im sick of it now and its just the same old stuff.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 am

The first time i see a sketch (eg computer says no) i find it funny, the 5th and 6th times etc its just boring.

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:04 am

I like it, and anyone who doesn't is a spazzy flid mong job, so there.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:17 am

I listen to radio comedy more than watch TV comedy and wasn't that impressed when it was on the radio. One of the last decent comedies to make the transfer from radio to TV was the League of Gentlemen.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"