What Do You REALLY Think Of Little Britain?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

What Do You REALLY Think Of Little Britain?

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:58 am

Hello

Now its been a couple of years sine the last series of Little Britain I just wondered what you guys thought of the show.

I must say, I'm not a fan. Not any more at least.

I started of really liking the show and I thought series one was great.

But as series two and three came about I started to find the show less and less funny.

I think that once they found that the catchphrases were popular, that gave them (Lucas and Walliams) the excuse to stop trying.

It seemed to be that the sketches were just building up to the catchphrases, and the body of the sketches just stopped being funny, and the catchphrases I just found increasingly annoying.

I also felt that the show just reached out to the lowest common denomiator.

I saw the stage show in Shepherds Bush and it was a fun night, but I wouldn't say it was great.

I also think that certain sketches such as the Fat Club maybe could have made not a bad spin-off.

I guess its down to personal taste, but I've never been a fan of catchphrase based comedy. There are some exceptions, but generally I don't find it funny.

I'm glad Little Britain had finished personally. I really don't think it was/is as funny as people made out and I think it became too repetitive and boring.

What say you?
Last edited by SpecChum81 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Press Play On Tape

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:01 am

Very much like the Fast Show and Harry Enfield in that once you've seen one or two episodes there really was no need to watch any more. But then a lot of people appear to like the comfort of watching something that won't present them with something new or unexpected, hence it's success.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:11 am

Little Britan is very clever and very very funny.
I'm so glad it's NOT over and that Little Britan USA will be starting in a week or so :)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:16 am

I thought it was hit and miss but generally quite funny. Recently watched series 3 again and still chuckled at it. I always liked Fat Fighters, Lou and Andy, Daffyd, Dennis Waterman, Emily Howard and Mr Mann (any pirate memory games?) but couldn't stand certain others like the woman who kept throwing up, or "bitty".

David

Post by David » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:17 am

I liked the guy in the wheelchair

but once you'd seen one episode, you had basically seen every joke they were ever going to do.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 am

Load of old censored. Just like the fast show before it. Just watch one episode and you have seen it all.

Hope it dies.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:33 am

It's tosh. Give me Vic and Bob any day.

Or Hale and Pace at a push.......................................

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 am

Vic and Bob are too hit-and-miss to watch fo guaranteed laughs.

If I watch a comedy show , I want GUARANTEED laughs. The same jokes in the same/similar situations are as funny the first time as they are the tenth , so repetition is fine with me.

That's the whole point of sketch shows though ; you can't experiment with different material every week , so you stick with what you KNOW will work
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:49 am

Some bits i quite like but the punchlines i find very boring after a while. The one with the disabled bloke is amusing at first but after a while very boring.

The worst one for me is the 'mental' bloke making those high pitched noises, dont find that funny at all.

The two grannies who are racist/homophobic are amusing but again its much of the same.

boyo

Post by boyo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:05 am

Absolutely love it - I can watch it again and again and again, just like I am re-watching all the Father Ted episodes at the moment for like the 4th time.

Black Adder series 2-4 is another show I can watch and watch and watch.

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:12 am

I really don't get on with it, someone compared it to a "censored Emry'ed League of Gentlemen" and that sums it up for me.
I think therefore I'm right!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:51 am

Interesting comments.

But something like Blackadder is in such a higher league than Little Britian.

Same as for sketch shows, Flying Circus, Not Only But Also, Two Ronnies and Not The Nine O'Clock News are of such a better quality than Little Britain and 30-40 years later, the vast majority of material seems just as fresh and as funny as it did when they first aired.

I really don't think Little Britan will stand the test of time, nor do I think it will be viewed as a classic. In fact, I really don't think the vast majority of comedy made the last 10 years will stand the test either.

I don't think Little Britain will be poplular in 30 years time, whereas Python, Pete and Dud, Fawlty Towers and Blackadder still attract masses and masses of new fans.

Similarly, people are still watching Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and Buster Keaton some 80 years later.

Having said that, I'm going to watch Little Britain USA to see what they've done with it, and I shall keep an open mind...
Press Play On Tape

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:09 am

Utter bollox. Can't stand the show. I'd rather watch big brother - and I'd rather chop my nuts off with a blunt egg whisk than watch Big Brother!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:48 am

markopoloman wrote:Utter bollox. Can't stand the show. I'd rather watch big brother - and I'd rather chop my nuts off with a blunt egg whisk than watch Big Brother!
or start watching BB and save a fortune on nappies!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:10 pm

I watched Bad News on Tour last night, and I'd have to agree that the 'old' comedy we grew up with is far more intelligent and longer lasting than the recent stuff that's churned out. Too much reliance on catchphrases and short skits now, when the old guard could create characters that stood up for much longer.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.