The Classic Movie: Memphis Belle

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
JetSetWilly
Posts: 9535
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: We Must Perform A Quirkafleeg!
Contact:

The Classic Movie: Memphis Belle

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:15 pm

The true story of the Memphis Belle's last mission, excellently told and well acted, with a strong sense of emotion. I loved this movie (and still do).
I watched it this morning after i bought it, and it hasn't aged badly at all. The special effects still hold up after 21 years (the plane that gets chopped in half by the german fighter and the nose gunner that gets sucked out the plane still shock me today)

what does anyone think?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Post by markopoloman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:38 pm

21 years :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Is it really that old! Where has all the time gone.

Actually, I loved the film - and I may have taken my new girlfriend to see it at the cinema :? - I'll ask her later :roll:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26810
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:10 pm

I liked it right up to the end when it got the stupid cartoon ending. That spoiled it for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
SexyWayne
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Kidderminster, UK

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I liked it right up to the end when it got the stupid cartoon ending. That spoiled it for me.
sounds like you're think of one of the amazing stories episodes, the one where the plane loses a wheel, the belly gunner is stuck in his turret but draws a picture of a plane with cartoonish wheels and it appears under the plane

User avatar
andy vaisey
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cymru
Contact:

Post by andy vaisey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Yes, not a classic but a good, solid, enjoyable film; it depicts well the horrors that airmen during wartime must have gone through...

I was under the impression though that the film is not entirely accurate - the film is a kind of "mixture" of mission events, with fictional characters and inaccuracies.

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Essex

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:46 pm

andy vaisey wrote:Yes, not a classic but a good, solid, enjoyable film; it depicts well the horrors that airmen during wartime must have gone through...

I was under the impression though that the film is not entirely accurate - the film is a kind of "mixture" of mission events, with fictional characters and inaccuracies.
I think that's pretty much it, the inspiration came from the historical 'Memphis Bell' but most of the rest of the film is down to artistic licence.

Eminently watchable though, a bit of a halfway house between the old classic WWII films and the newer visceral ones.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26810
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:58 pm

SexyWayne wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I liked it right up to the end when it got the stupid cartoon ending. That spoiled it for me.
sounds like you're think of one of the amazing stories episodes, the one where the plane loses a wheel, the belly gunner is stuck in his turret but draws a picture of a plane with cartoonish wheels and it appears under the plane
Doh!

I've avoided watching Memphis Belle again ever since :oops:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
sleeper77
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:14 pm

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 pm

I'd rather watch Memphis Belle anyday rather than Pearl Harbour, which I thought was overrated hyped up moneymaking rubbish.

User avatar
mick_aka
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:05 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by mick_aka » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:25 pm

One of my guilty favorites this.

My old pal Mac McDonald is rather bitter about this movie, he aparently had quite a large part in the film and ended up having all his scenes cut except the one near the end where he's riding down the field on a bike.
He also had his scenes cut out of Alien, neither are to be mentioned around him unless you want a long rant on the subject ;)

The film itself is excellent, quite a few goofs in there but nothing you can't look past to enjoy what is essentially and excellent movie.

The acting slips a little in a few places, but not to any major extent.

An enjoyable favorite.
Image

User avatar
andy vaisey
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cymru
Contact:

Post by andy vaisey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:40 pm

sleeper77 wrote:I'd rather watch Memphis Belle anyday rather than Pearl Harbour, which I thought was overrated hyped up moneymaking rubbish.
This is indeed true!

User avatar
madblokeything
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:11 am

Post by madblokeything » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:41 am

i come from grimsby/cleethorpes ..the film was made on our local airfield/base(binbrook)..lots of my mates where auditioned and appeared as extras,,,they came to our town hall and held them there.

whenever we see the film we all sit and friend watch (those 15 secs of fame eh)
http://card.mygamercard.net/apps/geowar ... ything.png
http://.mygamercard.net/madblokeything.png

User avatar
yakmag
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: St Helens

Post by yakmag » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:18 am

madblokeything wrote:i come from grimsby/cleethorpes ..the film was made on our local airfield/base(binbrook)..lots of my mates where auditioned and appeared as extras,,,they came to our town hall and held them there.

whenever we see the film we all sit and friend watch (those 15 secs of fame eh)
I too have some mates who were in the RAF (as coppers) who appear in this film, one is a pilot in the briefing room, can't recall where the others are though...

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:34 am

andy vaisey wrote:I was under the impression though that the film is not entirely accurate
Shocking for a Hollywood war movie :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
JetSetWilly
Posts: 9535
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: We Must Perform A Quirkafleeg!
Contact:

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:41 pm

fair enough.

some parts were fabricated, i now believe, but its still a damn good movie though. It does capture the horrors of what happens during battle with another plane.
I mean, just look what happened to the rookie's B17, Mother And Country, it got its tail chopped completely off by a falling Stukka/Mischershmit and the bloke falling out the nose gunner window after it gets shot at in another B17. If i saw those happen out my window, I'd be needing some new underpants.....and a clean seat.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

User avatar
GenghisJones
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 5:26 pm

original documentary

Post by GenghisJones » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:35 am

has anyone seen the original documentary (read PROPAGANDA) film of 'Memphis Belle'? The movie was mostly inspired by it - but I've only seen a few clips at the Imperial War museum archive.

(accurate or not - you had to be a brave chap to go on a bombing run in my opinion - I know I wouldn't have had the nerve to do it)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest