Oldie TV programmes you remember

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:33 pm

"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

NecroticSoul

Post by NecroticSoul » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:59 pm

"Hey Hey Vicky! Hey Vicky Hey!"

I remember that. What a theme tune! :D

On a different note, it wasn't a childrens' program but does anyone remember 'The Riff-Raff Element' from the early nineties? It was a comedy drama about the class divide, following the lives of a bunch of commoners who moved into a wing of some posh family's castle. It was fantastic stuff, but that's about the only fact I can remember about it. There don't seem to be ANY clips from it floating around the interweb, and it's not available to buy either. Pah!

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Mighty_Zol wrote:
Malkavian wrote: Finally, and I'm not trolling or anything but I seem to remember ITV producing some massively racist and generally offensive sitcoms. I can't remember one specifically, but I'd find it fascinating to watch one of these now complete with canned laughter. Also I think there were many sitcoms where the humor revolved around the difference between working class and middle class, one wth a character called Roper who I just remember having a ginger moustache.
I can help you out there with a few examples....these are all Sitcoms as opposed to Kids' TV of course...

Mixed Blessings - Basically a show observing the run up to the marriage of (i think) a black man, and white woman.

Love Thy Neighbour - Hilarious [/sarcasm] consequences when a young black couple move in next to an extremely
racist white neighbour.

Mind Your Language - Based on an English Language evening class for newly-immigrated people of all cultures -
EVERY single racist stereotype is reinforced in this show, from the Japanese business man complete with camera, the Italian guy
in tight pants and open shirt, the dotty Blonde Swede....I could go on but won't.

Till Death Us Do Part / In Sickness and in Health - Alf Garnett at his shouty, grumpy, racist best. Using words for black people
that you cannot even comprehend on telly now.

Rising Damp - if only for Rigsby's attitude to his black house-guest - quite abominable at times, what with him being from Africa
and all.

It Ain't Half Hot Mum - Set in Burma in WWII, portraying the experiences of a British Army entertainment troupe.
Rarely repeated, due mainly not to it's portrayal of constant bullying and abuse of the natives by the Sergeant Major, but more so
for the fact that he constantly refers to his men as a 'bunch of poofs'. A shame, as this is a very good comedy written by
the Dads' Army team.

I think these shows are an interesting slice of history - in previous decades, it appears we were so insensitive to these matters
of race that we would brazenly make shows that poked fun of foreigners in such a way. Totally unacceptable now, but really hard
to believe times were ever like that!

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:53 am

Mind Your Language - Based on an English Language evening class for newly-immigrated people of all cultures -
EVERY single racist stereotype is reinforced in this show, from the Japanese business man complete with camera, the Italian guy
in tight pants and open shirt, the dotty Blonde Swede....I could go on but won't.
Would you believe that they still show this occasionally on SABC Africa, the news channel for Africa coming from South Africa - with our racial history! If we can show it without getting offended, why can't anyone else... aww but I loved It Ain't Half Hot Mum, of course the content of such shows was relevant to the times and not just meant to be offensive, but I can't get it when people are so sensitive to racist jokes. In SA it's so different, you make jokes about black people and the blacks are the first to laugh but the whites are first to get offended. You make Indian jokes and the Indians will join in. No need to take offence...

Anyway, man all the old 80s shows have been mentioned, give us a chance :D I don't recall anyone mentioning these but I could be wrong:

Mysterious City Of Gold (some Spanish cartoon series they had on BBC)

Around the World With Willy Fogg (Phileas Fogg becomes an animal)

Gordon the Gopher (a sock puppet with a squeaker and clothes, go figure)

Edd The Duck (nauseating to think about now but it was fun as a kid)

Button Moon (ITV mid-80s?)

Tickle on the Tum (with Ralph McTell?)

Rainbow

Cockleshell Bay

Pigeon Street

Bagpuss

Bertha (can't remember what it was about but it was a machine yeah?)

Dangermouse (David Jason doing the voices)

Dungeons and Dragons (with the ginger guy from Happy Days doing the voice)

Rod Hull and Emu

Playbus/Playdays

Maid Marion and her Merry Men (Nick Robinson is so funny)

Superted

He-Man and the crappy She-Ra

Grotbags and T-Bag

Okay, these are all kids shows - but then I was only born in 1980... I remember a few more adult shows, like the theme tune from Juliet Bravo, Blankety Blank, Wogan, Knight Rider, A-Team, oh there are so many. I left England in 1988 and from then only had access to BBC 1+2 for 13 years so I fell behind with UK shows...

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Anyone remember Sport Billy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6khYz1YVDk

Two I forgot about and this thread reminded me, Chemsford 123 brilliant sitcom, and Chocky a kids live action fantasy drama (there was also a kids film called Chocky starring a big metal ball... it would have been a Threesies in my playground!).
Scott me up beamie!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:25 am

I loved that show! err, ironicly of course...
Scott me up beamie!

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:15 am

I remember Mind Your Language as a kid and I loved it - as a kid I was of course very innocent and all the racial aspects simply went over my head. If you see if for what it is - i.e. an early 80s sitcom with early 80s attitudes - it's a harmless bit of fun.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:32 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Jonny Ball was great too - maths made fun with Think Of A Number et al
Oh I loved his shows. Nearest thing I can find nowadays is Nina & The Neurons (I only watch it for Nina).

I'd love to get hold of the old Jonny Ball shows for my kids.

Recently I've been subjecting the kids to The Raccoons, Duck Tales, He Man and The A-Team.

Anyone mentioned Ulysees 31?

I also vaguely remember Number 73 on a Saturday morning which had that actress from My Parents Are Aliens in it (the dark haired one).

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:04 pm

Who remembers The 8:15 From Manchester??

I loved this show, esp the Inspiral Carpets theme tune...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:35 am

How about Get Fresh? It was on ITV saturday mornings. Gaz Top presented it with an Alien and Charlotte Hingle (there was a bit about it in RG about 6 issues ago).

Also does anyone remember the cartoon in the show?

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:03 am

Dont recall the cartoon offhand, but the alien was Gilbert the Alien, who even starred in his own game:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0002044

They used to get a couple of kids to play Starglider head to head on Get Fresh too.

Can anyone remember whether it was Get Fresh that featured Rainbirds Weird Dreams, or another saturday morning show?
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

luzur

Post by luzur » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:25 am

hmm....i can remember these:

The Young Ones
He-man
Transformers
GI Joe
Spitting Image
Alf
Disney Dax
Zvampen
TÃ¥rtan
Solstollarna
Fraggles
Dungeons and Dragons
Pole Position

prob lots of shows ive seen but cant remember right now.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:03 pm

TheDude18 wrote:How about Get Fresh? It was on ITV saturday mornings. Gaz Top presented it with an Alien and Charlotte Hingle (there was a bit about it in RG about 6 issues ago).

Also does anyone remember the cartoon in the show?
Oooh they came to where I lived when I was younger. Was a really exciting moment even if I didn't get to see much.

I thought it was Motor Mouth that featured Wierd Dreams and then Magic Pocket's although I could be wrong.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:15 am

Yup, I remember Get Frest

Also

Stoppit And Tidy Up
WhatAMess

Fantastic Shows!
Press Play On Tape

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:52 am

There's a programme that's been bugging me. I can hardly recall a thing about it.

I remember a boy riding a horse across a beach, which I think might have been part of the titles, I certainly recall it as a recurring image.

And... er, that's about it, actually. For some reason I'm coming up with a character called the Shrew (or something like that), but that might not be right at all. I *think* it was set in a grubby town and the boy *might* have been homeless. I'm recalling a scene by the docks as well. It wasn't an animation.