Is it me or are computers boring these days?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Wil

Post by Wil » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:40 am

I guess they are more boring but then I need my computer to do different things nowadays to back in 1986. My Mac/PC isn't a hobby I tinker around with, it's part of how I live my life and make my living. I need it to just work without having to know how it's doing it in the same way as I use a fridge or a TV (although a PC that works like that is a long way off).

If I wanted to muck about and learn how this stuff works then I think I'd probably head back to a simpler machine like a BBC or maybe (if I was feeling brave) an Amiga.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:07 am

You mean you don't know how your fridge and TV work? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Wil

Post by Wil » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:12 am

As long as I don't sit staring at the fridge and leave the cheese on the telly, I'm sorted.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:12 pm

well, ive tried to plug my joystick in the dog and the mouse in the sofa :lol: :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:20 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:well, ive tried to plug my joystick in the dog
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:36 pm

HAHAHA :lol:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

carmel1

Post by carmel1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:07 am

tpt wrote: But I think my view of modern computing would be a lot sunnier if a certain monopolising corporation just rolled over and died :evil:

I think you'd have to blame IBM for that, after all they tied uo with M$ instead of tying up with the dear departed Gary Kildall (after all isn't pcdros/msdros based or designed around CP/M, Mr Kildalls little masterpiece)

I wonder if we'd have had a different computer industry if Atari/Commodore hadn't focused to too smaller and niche markets and essentailly ballsed up the marketing and positioning of their competing products and allowed the pc and mac to walk away with the prize....

After all, we must remember that until the likes of SVGA came along, the Atari/commodore offerings were at least equal if not better then what the pc was capable of

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:57 am

Wil wrote:I guess they are more boring but then I need my computer to do different things nowadays to back in 1986. My Mac/PC isn't a hobby I tinker around with, it's part of how I live my life and make my living. I need it to just work without having to know how it's doing it
Same with me. I'm glad i dont have to faff around getting a new sound card or graphics card every few months or that.

I've had one upgrade on my PC but since then i've never had to touch the 'insides' ! Glad as i'm not a hardware fan.

Much prefer computers lately as i dont have to do much with them from the hardware side of things.

hedgehog

Post by hedgehog » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:14 am

carmel1 wrote:
tpt wrote:I wonder if we'd have had a different computer industry if Atari/Commodore hadn't focused to too smaller and niche markets and essentailly ballsed up the marketing and positioning of their competing products and allowed the pc and mac to walk away with the prize....
I thought my Atari TT was a superb computer, especially running their sys V variant but maybe a little bit too late to the party to make any difference. :(

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:48 am

Is it me or are computers boring these days?
I don't know about boring ...... but they are bloody unreliable nowadays :shock:

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:50 am

I agree with most of the comments. One of the joys of early gaming was seeing what the developers were doing to push the envelope of the system both in graphics and sound nowadays we expect top class graphics and sound with our dedicated cards which we don't always get. If i had the choice of going back to just owning an 8bit or 16bit computer I'd have to say no somethings have been great with modern PC's The Internet, typing letters, Emulation, Mp3 burning for easier portable tunes, games like Half-life, GTA...

We do tend to view gaming in the 80's with rose tinted glasses there were a lot of things that weren't all that great - not so much with the 16bit computers but certainly with the 8-bit ones such as; loading times and those could be unreliable - multi loads aargh!! Crap conversions of arcade classics that you loved (thank god for modern PC's so I can play Outrun Coast to Coast.) Visuals on a TV suck! I fished out my C64 & Amiga to play some old games & you do notice a difference if you've become used to a monitor now.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:34 am

I dont think pc's are as exciting now as they were. The technology has always moved fast but now I just think that its silly how much things are moving on so quickly. A friend of mine is always buying graphics cards and processors and the like. And a few weeks later its outdated. I remember my first pc, a Packard Bell with 4mb ram. God i loved that thing.

I can remember the reason I wanted a pc so much was because of Doom 2. Id never seen anything like it and I wanted it so much. Ive still got it at mums (Doom 2, not the pc) its the one with 5 floppy disks. Ill never get rid of that because I remember buying it when I was thirteen and being so excited.

And when I had it upgraded to 32mb ram shortly after I felt like a king.

happy days!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Nin10dofan

Re: Is it me or are computers boring these days?

Post by Nin10dofan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Yes games are very bad I just bought a 360 the games are very very bad, I'm playing stuff I played before like a lot of Wii shooters and gamecube games

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:37 pm

Computers def dont last nowadays ,
Last edited by oldtimer on Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Computers def dont last nowadays thats for sure!
I bought a state of the art Top end Packard Bell about 2 years ago , and now its almost in pieces held together with sellotape and glue, yet my almost vintage Dell laptop just soldiers on and on , ok a new battery and more ram but it just wont die.
PCs are boring nowadays thats for sure too , no excitement on buying a new one as its almost a necessity not a luxury or a pleasure, plus the event of mobiles and tablets have diluted it too.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!