Is it me or are computers boring these days?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:33 am

For me, the reason computers are dull is because I use them all day long at work. When I was at school, pens and paper all day long, getting home and fiddling with config.sys and autoexec.bat files was fun.

Whereas back in the day I was Mr PC, nowadays I quite enjoy the DS because I find it the most un-computer games console available.

If only I could arrange it so I didn't have to work...
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:18 pm

You are not wrong, computers today are intrinsicly(?) boring.
This is simply down to a lack of difference. The only place this can be found to a certain degree is in the console world.
Software has rolled over hardware and dictates our future... (that is the only reason why IBM mainframes and AS/400 systems still lives today.)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:17 pm

dunno if computers are getting more boring or easier,we all know someone that would ask us to fix theres

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Yes, modern computers are dull. They're also easier to use

You can't get easier to use than LOAD "". :)

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:52 am

It is a little boring that this Macbook Pro I'm typing on can do absolutely everything pretty much straight out of the box. Where's the fun in that?
I loved the obscure little hardware expansions for the likes of the Spectrum and all the promises they gave (did anyone ever use a ZX81 to turn their lights on?).

That said, at least this works and the software loads.

hedgehog

Post by hedgehog » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:18 pm

I once threw a mates ZX81 at the wall, hit the switch and turned the lights off.

Does that count?

Alex Ferguson

Post by Alex Ferguson » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:20 pm

liveinabin wrote:It is a little boring that this Macbook Pro I'm typing on can do absolutely everything pretty much straight out of the box. Where's the fun in that?
I loved the obscure little hardware expansions for the likes of the Spectrum and all the promises they gave (did anyone ever use a ZX81 to turn their lights on?).

That said, at least this works and the software loads.
If you're that bored of it, I'll happily relieve you of the burden.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Fair enough, it's in the post :)

Alex Ferguson

Post by Alex Ferguson » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:02 pm

liveinabin wrote:Fair enough, it's in the post :)
I'll be shocked if I receive it.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:45 am

So will I :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:28 am

I'm really into mini laptops, just about to buy an Advent 4211 which is a very good price.

I use them for surfing, playing lots of retro games on them and also to show demos to people. I'm not interested in the latest PC games but enjoy playing Red Alert, Half Life and lots of emulators on them.

Think its very exciting seeing PC's come out smaller and smaller all the time. I've currently got an oQo which is a tiny Win XP machine which is cool, love gadgets but sadly might have to sell this one.

Update - just bought one today, very cool little machine.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:18 am

stvd wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Yes, modern computers are dull. They're also easier to use

You can't get easier to use than LOAD "". :)
Even better, SHIFT and RUN/STOP :P

carmel1

Post by carmel1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:34 am

Modern pc's are only 'boring' because they are so god damned easy to put together....now if you could do that with an atari or commodore/speccy etc...wouldn't that make ALL COMPUTERS so god damned boring

However in saying that, because there is no standard pc version of Linux (i.e there are various flavours and supported formats, i.e. debian, knoppix, ubunto, mandrake, suse, redhat and the millions of others not mentioned as well as formats like .i386, .i586 and .deb as well as rpm's (whatever that is), we are slowly going back to the days of different computers having different o/s's ...you could almost say that Pc linux as a bit like having a modern equivalent to an Atari/Commodore/sinclair etc

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:03 am

carmel1 wrote:Modern pc's are only 'boring' because they are so god damned easy to put together....now if you could do that with an atari or commodore/speccy etc...wouldn't that make ALL COMPUTERS so god damned boring
Casting my mind back, I remember a time when PCs weren't so easy to build. Plug 'n' Play hardware has ruined the skill of PC building!
carmel1 wrote:However in saying that, because there is no standard pc version of Linux (i.e there are various flavours and supported formats, i.e. debian, knoppix, ubunto, mandrake, suse, redhat and the millions of others not mentioned as well as formats like .i386, .i586 and .deb as well as rpm's (whatever that is), we are slowly going back to the days of different computers having different o/s's ...you could almost say that Pc linux as a bit like having a modern equivalent to an Atari/Commodore/sinclair etc
Yeah! But most PC users are Windows users ....... a so called 'standard' OS. The amount of Linux users (if we're looking at PC users only) is a minority in comparison to Windows users.
I'm by no means saying that Windows is better, just that more people know Windows.

tpt

Post by tpt » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:50 am

Well I'm not sure if computers are more boring, but it certainly seems that way. I do remember the glee I experienced when I found a piece of software that would increase the amount of data I could fit on an Amiga floppy from 700kb to 900kb! Can anyone here say that they get the same high from system utilities now?

Strangely enough, installing Linux and using its programs has been the only thing that has come vaguely close to matching it.

*tpt has shameless nerdpride*

But I think my view of modern computing would be a lot sunnier if a certain monopolising corporation just rolled over and died :evil:
http://tpt.webeden.co.uk/
My latest chiptunes available here.