CRT 14" TV recommendations. Prices rising!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

itsamemario

Re: CRT 14" TV recommendations. Prices rising!

Post by itsamemario » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Bit too big for me I'm afraid but they are supposed to be lovely TVs.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:00 pm

cant go wrong with a good Sony Trinitron i have 2 ive got a KV-14m1u which is great for saturn PS1 PS2 etc and i also have a kv-x2582U which is a lovely set for anything up till original Xbox or the 360 at a pinch

rach316uk

Post by rach316uk » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:58 am

Just about to buy a bush 21” for £50 off eBay lol. Gosh I hope it lasts more than a week. I couldn’t believe how bad my ps1 looked on a lcd tv when I started to play it again after years.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:46 am

rach316uk wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:58 am
Just about to buy a bush 21” for £50 off eBay lol. Gosh I hope it lasts more than a week. I couldn’t believe how bad my ps1 looked on a lcd tv when I started to play it again after years.
Bloody hell, thats a lot, unless its a really good one.
Facebook market place can give good results

rach316uk

Post by rach316uk » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:53 am

Gutted, so it’s a really nice tv excellent picture so I’m thinking (hopefully) worth the cash to play my mega drive and Amiga on. Although hadn’t solved my problem - I wanted to play my ps1 imports, atm they are playing in black and white and so is the xplorer fx cheat card. I’ve also got a scart cable (with the red white and yellow) cables. Gutted! I now think the mod chip in my psx is just duff. I have no idea what chip it is. I now think the chip in the psx just doesn’t like imports lol oh my days. For the benefit of Themis forum though really good tv with a working video and DVD player lol

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:14 pm

rach316uk wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:53 am
Gutted, so it’s a really nice tv excellent picture so I’m thinking (hopefully) worth the cash to play my mega drive and Amiga on. Although hadn’t solved my problem - I wanted to play my ps1 imports, atm they are playing in black and white and so is the xplorer fx cheat card. I’ve also got a scart cable (with the red white and yellow) cables. Gutted! I now think the mod chip in my psx is just duff. I have no idea what chip it is. I now think the chip in the psx just doesn’t like imports lol oh my days. For the benefit of Themis forum though really good tv with a working video and DVD player lol
The black and white image is more to do with the TV, some older ones will struggle with NTSC signals. Or it could be the cable, RGB SCART cables give the best signal

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Yes you will need an RGB scart lead to carry the 60hz signal and display in colour. The red/white/yellow leads are just basic A/V with a scart block connection on the end and not a real RGB lead.

The PS1 decides to output in either 50 (PAL/UK) or 60hz (NTSC/US/Japan) based on the region code of the game so it needs no mods like the old cart-based systems which need 50/60hz toggle switches. The modchip simply allows the console to boot up region codes other than the one it was originally manufactured for so I doubt that there is anything wrong on that end.

I may have a spare RGB lead compatible with the PS1 (its the same as the PS2 lead so I don't need both) so hit me up if you fancy trying that before buying more TVs or consoles to solve the issue!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

J4ce70

Post by J4ce70 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:53 pm

rach316uk wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:58 am
Was 21 inches big enough I wanted something bigger than 14 inches and the only things I Could find on ebay at the moment including shipping are about £100, I don't drive so I think anything bigger is out of the question, Whats it been like compared to your last setup ? :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:12 am

Around 20" was the standard 'big TV' size for many years, it's a decent step up from a 14" screen. Sure, bigger screens were available, but the 20" 4:3 ratio screen hit that sweet spot for size/performance and so persisted as a common one and should be readily available. Still a hefty weight, but manageable. Jumping up to say a 24" screen and it starts to get unwieldy. Stick with 4:3 if you can, don't opt for the wider screens as you end up with a smaller vertical height and may as well stick with the smaller 4:3 portable tellies in that case.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

J4ce70

Post by J4ce70 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:31 am

yeah I wanted something that wasn't tiny but also its a pain in the back side to move

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:54 am

I have a 28" Trinitron and its a monster to move. The depth of the tube/casing is ridiculous. It'll have to go in the near future but you can bet it will be pick up only for whoever buys it!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:56 pm

IMO
21" is the perfect size for a CRT, they are not heavy, not to small and are more often than not 4:3
BUT!
If you live on a ground floor place and aren't planning to move it much go huge, got a 28" Phillips one that while isnt perfect (Cant adjust overscan) is surprisingly light and has a wood panel look.

If you need to shift big CRTs around get one of them wheeled boards (Aldi sometimes sell them for a tenner) and a few mates. to get one upstairs, urgh
You can get a hand truck that will help a little, the wooden boards and sheets method with two people behind works best.

Best time to get great TVs cheap is ten years ago

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:55 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:56 pm
IMO
21" is the perfect size for a CRT, they are not heavy, not to small and are more often than not 4:3
BUT!
If you live on a ground floor place and aren't planning to move it much go huge, got a 28" Phillips one that while isnt perfect (Cant adjust overscan) is surprisingly light and has a wood panel look.

If you need to shift big CRTs around get one of them wheeled boards (Aldi sometimes sell them for a tenner) and a few mates. to get one upstairs, urgh
You can get a hand truck that will help a little, the wooden boards and sheets method with two people behind works best.

Best time to get great TVs cheap is ten years ago
I would agree with the get a few mates and a board to shift any CRT over 14" as when I shifted my 21" Wharfedale into the 'Sekrit underground bunker' aka the attic retro gaming mancave (neither secret nor underground just to confuse any ninja assassins)' I failed to do this and my back has not been the same since. However, it was worth it to get my older systems displaying as they should...well, barring the obscene chiropractor bills and oxycodone addiction :lol:
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:29 pm

I've had for donkeys years one from a Brand called Dual which was sold by Asda/Walmart and it's pretty good as CRTs go, will work with just about anything bar HDMI obviously and even sounds alright despite being Mono.

With CRTs now it you can't be too picky as there aren't that many left, you can get around an older set not having scart by using an old VCR to convert to RF although it will lack the clarity, you will also need to pick up in most cases as their weight even at the small end puts them in freight which can incure stupid prices.
Watching you sleep since 1990

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:26 am

I have a 20inch CRT for most of my gameing needs but ive also go at 14"LCD/Plasma(cant remember what it is) which is actually analogue and digital so i use that quite a bit too , seems to work quite well with my Atari stuff .
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!