What was Max Headroom all about?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cloud Atlas

What was Max Headroom all about?

Post by Cloud Atlas » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:48 pm

This was the question I asked myself before looking on Wikipedia. I watched this as a child but could remember nothing about it apart from how he freaked me out. He still does.

It's so 80s, yet seems so now.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:57 pm

Matt Frewer (the guy who was Max Headroom) also played Jobe in Lawnmower Man 2 (although it was a goddawful movie) and has also recently starred as the weird dogcatcher in A Town Called Eureka (currently showing on Sky on Wednesdays).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:21 am

I was a big Max fan. I do sometimes wonder if Matt would have been better off without it though. It made him famous, but his face became so iconic that I've never seen him since without thinking 'there's Max'.

As for 'what was Max Headroom all about'? - that depends how you aproach the question.
The tv movie (which is a decent slice of sci-fi hokum) explains everything quite well and places Max into a contextually reasonable premise.This was spun out into a tv series following the reporting of Edison Carter with Max as a bit part.
We also got, for some strange reason, a talk/video show presented by Max himself, but this was taken out of context of the sci-fi shows and set in our real world and timeframe. This was strangely watchable in my opinion, with Max remaining superior throughout, a novel tactic at the time.
Max was, allegedly, a clone of Edison Carter's (star reporter for Channel 24) mind, an attempt at replacing him in broadcasts with a digital copy.It didn't quite work and Max 'escaped'.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:34 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Matt Frewer (the guy who was Max Headroom) also played Jobe in Lawnmower Man 2 (although it was a goddawful movie) and has also recently starred as the weird dogcatcher in A Town Called Eureka (currently showing on Sky on Wednesdays).
Also made a very good cameo in Star Trek The Next Generation, playing the time-traveller Berlinghoff Rasmussen...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:25 pm

And an extensive part in the Stephen King mini-series, The Stand.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:43 pm

merman wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:Matt Frewer (the guy who was Max Headroom) also played Jobe in Lawnmower Man 2 (although it was a goddawful movie) and has also recently starred as the weird dogcatcher in A Town Called Eureka (currently showing on Sky on Wednesdays).
Also made a very good cameo in Star Trek The Next Generation, playing the time-traveller Berlinghoff Rasmussen...
I remember him in that, was quite a good story.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:22 pm

And there was also the Max Headroom Music Show which was him linking a load of videos with the occasional interview.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Ahem.
Antiriad2097 wrote:We also got, for some strange reason, a talk/video show presented by Max himself, but this was taken out of context of the sci-fi shows and set in our real world and timeframe. This was strangely watchable in my opinion, with Max remaining superior throughout, a novel tactic at the time.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Ahem indeed. :wink:

I only skimmed throught this thread having recently watch the music show again which is why it sprang to my mind. Thanks for pointing it out Ant, will pay more attention in the future! 8)
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:14 pm

Brilliantly spoofed by Sledge Hammer, too.

steve2272

Post by steve2272 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:40 pm

didn't he get the name from the height restriction signs you see at car parks........MAX HEADROOM 6' 2''.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:38 am

steve2272 wrote:didn't he get the name from the height restriction signs you see at car parks........MAX HEADROOM 6' 2''.
Yes, it was the lat thing Edison Carter saw before his mind was copied, as he was knocked unconscious by one.

oldtimer

Re: What was Max Headroom all about?

Post by oldtimer » Sun May 16, 2021 1:13 pm

I just found a load of Max headroom show stuff on some VHS video tapes i was looking at!!!!
very futuristic at the time .
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

5MinuteRetro

Post by 5MinuteRetro » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:07 am

Cloud Atlas wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:48 pm
This was the question I asked myself before looking on Wikipedia. I watched this as a child but could remember nothing about it apart from how he freaked me out. He still does.

No idea but the Max Headroom signal hijacking freaked me out more. Still freaky to this day, in fact: YouTube clip.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:20 am

Funny thing is they won awards at the time for computer graphics, even though Max was actually just the actor in plasticky make-up under a single bright light source, with the video edited to make it go slow then jump. The make-up guys were constantly pi**ed off that they never won an award even though they fooled everyone!