MattySlug

Re: Buying CD's

Post by MattySlug » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Oh I am so excited!
I ordered a cheap CD that I once owned but it broke:
NOFX's first Live Album: I heard they suck live
&
I just won this fine item from ebay:
Poverty's No Crime: The Autumn Years, an album from 1996!

for around $20 in total!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:05 am

We have a carload of CDs and DVDs we're dumping in a charity bin today.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:04 pm

Picked up a few more CD's this week: Judas Priest's Painkiller (Remastered), and Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. II (Expanded Edition) by Helloween.

Half of the fun of buying old-school metal CDs is the awesome cover art.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

markallsworth

Post by markallsworth » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:58 pm

I have a large music collection almost 2500 of it is cds they basically take up a whole wall I might be biased but I think it's a thing of beauty! I always try and buy cds if possible although recently I'm starting to get annoyed of hearing a particular game soundtrack coming out only to find out its a some limited edition vinyl that is almost always overpriced and feels very gimmicky to me. I buy a lot of music from Japan mostly anime or game soundtracks they are still popular over there and although they are expensive to import they will almost always at least retain their value but in most cases increase massively. The other thing I like about Japan is they still do cd singles! I do miss these 😕

With the sort of recent comeback of 80's synth stuff (mostly due to things like the stranger things soundtracks) some places are now even selling their new albums on cassette!

As others have said nothing beats the quality of cds and being able to rip a flac from it - streaming and mp3s are generally poor quality in comparison. If I have to buy digital I prefer bandcamp as you can get the highest quality and it's a much better for the artist in terms of revenue. I make music and did a game soundtrack which is $4 on bandcamp. It would take tens of thousands of streams on Spotify to make the same amount but I digress - long live cds 😁

Also would like to say I've loved the cds given away with the magazine over the couple of years hope that continues 😉

slap shot

Post by slap shot » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:26 pm

I have around 500 CDs at home, but it has been some time since I bought the last one. The reason are simple, money and room for them :)
My wife is an enthusiast of vinyl records and I have some too, but very few, I prefer CDs.

There was a time I used to purchase them directly from Dischord Records (Fugazi, Minor Threat, The Evens and Embrace, one of my favorite ones) because they always came with a handnote from Amy Farina, Ian MacKaye's wife, co-owner of Dischord and The Evens drummer, saying thanks and all.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:21 pm

markallsworth wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:58 pm
I have a large music collection almost 2500 of it is cds they basically take up a whole wall I might be biased but I think it's a thing of beauty! I always try and buy cds if possible although recently I'm starting to get annoyed of hearing a particular game soundtrack coming out only to find out its a some limited edition vinyl that is almost always overpriced and feels very gimmicky to me. I buy a lot of music from Japan mostly anime or game soundtracks they are still popular over there and although they are expensive to import they will almost always at least retain their value but in most cases increase massively. The other thing I like about Japan is they still do cd singles! I do miss these 😕
The vinyl thing irks me as well. I don't get why it is the only "retro" or hard-copy option for the majority of the soundtrack releases. Well, I DO get it (vinyl is fitting for 80's games), and collectors will seemingly buy anything, but I'll wager that most collectors will put the vinyl on their shelves/display cabinets and never actually play it (if they even HAVE a player).

I wouldn't be so annoyed but there's rarely an option for a digital download for people who don't have turntables, don't want them to begin with, and just want the music. It's vinyl or nothing which sucks.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:03 pm

The thing with Vinyl is that it only really adds anything when taken from a source where the frequencies it has are present, most modern releases are entirely Digital so it's pretty much identical on the Vinyl as it would be just as a simple MP3 or played from a CD so it doesn't make sense to not give you that option given its cheap enough to do too.
Watching you sleep since 1990

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:25 am

MattySlug wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:41 pm
Oh I am so excited!

I just won this fine item from ebay:
Poverty's No Crime: The Autumn Years, an album from 1996!
This finally arrived the other day from Düsseldorf and I was so happy then I found out this band is releasing a new Album tomorrow (the 30th) so I have just order the CD Edition, I could of ordered the double LP but decided not to...probably for money reasons subconsciously.

Here is a song from the upcoming album!
Warning it has some Skulls and stuff and the song is about death I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34tvNDz_uYA

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:20 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:21 pm
The vinyl thing irks me as well. I don't get why it is the only "retro" or hard-copy option for the majority of the soundtrack releases. Well, I DO get it (vinyl is fitting for 80's games), and collectors will seemingly buy anything, but I'll wager that most collectors will put the vinyl on their shelves/display cabinets and never actually play it (if they even HAVE a player).

I wouldn't be so annoyed but there's rarely an option for a digital download for people who don't have turntables, don't want them to begin with, and just want the music. It's vinyl or nothing which sucks.
The Commodore music scene gets a lot more CD and digital love. C64audio.com and Psytronik are the two names that spring to mind for physical CD releases. Allister Brimble has his Amiga Works collection available for download from Soundcloud:
https://allisterbrimble.bandcamp.com/al ... miga-works

Also a lot of the games you can buy from GOG or Humble Bundle often come with a free soundtrack download. I acquired the music for several Neo Geo, old school PC and Indie games in this way. YouTube is also your friend.

I caught the Hi-Fi bug a few years ago and I've worked my way up from a cheap HMV turntable to a £1,700 system that incorporates vinyl, CD, digital files and streaming. Records and CDs are equally important to me. Digital less so but it has its place.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:20 pm

I built my HiFi from Boot sales, it looks miss match but despite what some of the items might be worth I paid no more than £20 a component and is worth doing should you have the space, even just a good Amp with a Line in from a PC with a decent soundcard or a Media player with good output is ideal if you love your Music.
That being said these Days I live in Box room so it's usually just what the Laptop outputs into my okish Skullcandy headphones or either a Jukebox CD player Radio thats a bit poo sound wise (Someday I will mod it though to be better) but pretty or my Hitachi Boombox as the Crown is not quite right and everything else is either in storage or just stacked to a side as theres no space to run it.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 01, 2021 4:45 pm

English Invader wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:20 pm
YouTube is also your friend.
Yeah, YT has always been solid but it isn't without drawbacks. For one, I get fed up of putting a playlist together and finding - months later - that videos have been deleted or removed due to copyright issues, or the uploader's channel getting deleted etc.

Also, I hate having to be connected all the time and streaming the music from there, all the ads etc.

CD and digital download are just so much better since I have that music for good and can do what I want with it forever.

It's just a shame that physical game music is mostly a Japan thing and a lot of CDs are rare and expensive. I saw a definitive Outrun boxset for example that had everything but was selling for hundreds! Even I wouldn't buy that, but you couldn't download it either.

Obviously, I have "acquired" Youtube music before but it's not something I like to do en masse, for both the inconvenience of it, and the paranoia of attracting too much attention to myself (probably unfounded when there are bigger fish to fry but I've never been able to shake it lol).

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Mon May 10, 2021 6:15 am

I do have about 600 Cds, and half of them are still at my parents, and I moved out almost 15 years ago!. I love them, but they take a lot of space so I need to be really picky with what I buy these days.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun May 16, 2021 10:37 am

Bought the soundtrack to American Graffiti this week via Amazon for about 50p plus postage .
Great album (double) fab songs from the 50s/60s
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Nicram

Post by Nicram » Mon May 24, 2021 12:35 pm

You compensate the artist and you can copy it how often you like, so for me it is not strange.