Looking for a Magazine

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

antmit

Looking for a Magazine

Post by antmit » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:11 am

Hi

I realise I'm asking about another magazine on a magazine site (which I subscribe to, btw)...though I don't think it's really a 'competitor' thing.

I remember that in the run-up to Christmas 1991, my friend at school gave me a magazine he'd bought about the Mega Drive / Megadrive. I absolutely loved it, and thinking about it to this day fills me with nostalgia for childhood Christmas memories, and the excitement of badly wanting a MD (which I did get) that year.

I've never been able to find it. At first I thought it was Mega Tech, which is the magazine I subscribed to the following year. However, I believe that this came out a few months after the one my friend lent me, and may even have been the successor to this magazine.

After spending more time on tracking it down than I care to admit, I believe it was this one (attached). However, I can only find a front cover and not a PDF download of the whole thing - something that you can generally find for nearly every other mag afterwards. Does anyone HAVE this magazine, or know where there IS a PDF download of it? I don't mind paying for this little trip down Nostalgia Lane, just off Memory Avenue. I've seen an eBay bid somewhere, but I don't believe it's live any longer.

Thanks
Ant
Attachments
414px-CGtMD_cover.jpg
414px-CGtMD_cover.jpg (68.56 KiB) Viewed 127 times

RetroBob

Re: Looking for a Magazine

Post by RetroBob » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:42 am

Fear not friend, you're totally cool to discuss nostalgia for old mags on here, we love it!

Could this be Mega Drive Advanced Gaming or Mega Action? That reminds me I need to get around to selling some of my SEGA mags!

http://segamags.co.uk/magazines/mega-drive-magazines/
Xbox Live: RetroBob

antmit

Post by antmit » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:14 am

Hi Bob

No, I don't think it is. I read somewhere that it was the predecessor to Mega Tech as I say, but I might be mistaken. The fonts and layout are similar. MD:AG has a similar look too, but the date is wrong as it was definitely Xmas 91. This is the cover that made me go "yes, that's it!" The banner stretching across, the "display until". The only question I have is that there was a review for Castle Of Illusion in it, but a little nagging doubt tells me that the review was for the Game Gear...which obviously wouldn't be this mag. So then I thought, well was it a general Sega mag, like MM:S, but again the date is not right. The mag in question didn't look like a typical games mag of that time (ie Catwoman or a footballer for Kick Off, etc). It was understated, like the attached image is.

Sorry for the waffle, but thank you for your help.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:44 am

It looks like a one-off special issue thing not specific to a particular mag. The fact it says 'from the creators of C&VG and Mean Machines' suggests it's probably a compilation of features & reviews from those mags, probably tied together with a smattering of new text to form the 'complete guide'. Sites catering to those two mags are probably most likely to have scans, though I've not stumbled on one in my brief search.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Djones73

Post by Djones73 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:57 pm

I do remember this. It was indeed a one off with old Sega reviews taken from both 'Mean Machines' and 'Computer and Video Games' or C+VG as it was more commonly known as. Two sites worth checking out with online magazine scans are outofprintarchive.com and retromags.com . Happy hunting.

antmit

Post by antmit » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:19 am

Djones73 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:57 pm
I do remember this. It was indeed a one off with old Sega reviews taken from both 'Mean Machines' and 'Computer and Video Games' or C+VG as it was more commonly known as. Two sites worth checking out with online magazine scans are outofprintarchive.com and retromags.com . Happy hunting.
Excellent, I'll give this a go, though I think I've already tried retro mags I'll try again anyway. Thanks very much for your help. Glad I'm not the only one who remembered it.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:49 am

I know C&VG used to bring out the odd special bookazine, I suspect this was one of them. I think I used to have once, not anymore though.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:18 pm

yeah, CVG and mean machines did a few of these.

most were in the same style, The complete guide to sega, and complete guide to consoles ( a few volumes of that one )

That megadrive one changed the Format a bit and I think it was used as the basis for megatech

this site has a lot of top quality scans for old mags