Looking for advice on a retro gaming system...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Arctic Jack

Looking for advice on a retro gaming system...

Post by Arctic Jack » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:57 am

I’m long out of the loop when it comes to console gaming and systems. I’m just looking for some advice. I’m interested in buying a retro style arcade system for the kids for Christmas, my eldest is into the old retro games.

I’ve stumbled across these…

ArcadePro Mercury 3442 TV Console Arcade Machine
ArcadePro Venus 2097 Internet Enabled Bar Top Arcade Machine

At this website… https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/

I can’t seem to find much in the way of reviews on them, which worries me. In the past I’ve noticed emulator machines get horrendous reviews for not quite getting the old games right with speed and graphics etc. which can ruin the gameplay.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with these systems? Are there others out there that I should be looking at?

I'd love some expert advice from people who know this area...

psj3809

Re: Looking for advice on a retro gaming system...

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Way overpriced. About £1400 for a MAME style arcade

Got mine from http://retrobartopgames.co.uk/

Originally bought a bartop. Then got the base added later. Well priced and he used to be a lots of retro shows. Way cheaper than ones on that site you mentioned

Arctic Jack

Post by Arctic Jack » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:49 am

I think it says they use a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ inside. How well do the collection of games look and play on there? What Sort of price are you looking at for a bar-top?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:24 am

The one i got has a Raspberry Pi inside and use Retropie. So on my set up i've got MAME/Megadrive/NES/SNES/Spectrum/N64/Vectrex (turned off Master System and Gamegear) and GB/GBA/GBC

The one i got (bartop) was £500 but that might have been a special price at the Blackpool show. I then got a stand build for £150 so i think he sells them at £700 (bartop and stand). Maybe the bartop prices are still about 500-550

Its brilliant, cant fault it. I'm sure the ones on that website you posted are great but just think they're pricey. I know hes got tons of orders so i'm glad he's doing well but i'm very happy with the one i've got. Mines a Space Invaders styled one, he had a Star Wars styled one in his workshop which looked amazing