Buying CD's

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

English Invader

Re: Buying CD's

Post by English Invader » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:34 am

oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:33 am
I use Charity shops a lot and ive noticed now that CDs and DVDs have almost gone the same way as Video tapes did all of a sudden.,
Instead of DVDs selling for around £2 markish and cds a £1 they seem to be around the 50p and 10p mark now which makes me wonder how places like CEX will survive especially as even new games will eventually move to downloads.
One thing CEX have that the charity shops don't is an organised distribution network and a catalogued inventory which means that if you're looking for something specific you'll have a lot more chance of finding it within CEX's infrastructure (either in-store or online) than in a random charity shop.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:54 am

Charity shops will sell any old tat though, where CEX is primarly based on selling movies, games and tech (phones/laptops/consoles). CEX will be hit hard by digital, just like retail game stores have been.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Wed May 06, 2020 9:33 am

Long story short I bought 4 total CDs today on ebay. (from the same seller)
I consider myself very lucky to have been able to buy them!
All from the same seller, I bought three. ($5 each + $2.50 each postage, I didn't try and request a total as I felt the $7.50 total postage was fair)
Then frantically installed the ebay app on Mama Rose's iPhon so I could use a $5 off Coupon!!! (a $10 free postage CD, coupon brought it down to $5 in total!)
I think in my opinion they are all quite rare CDs, and I will be listening to them...Giving them a go and stuff so I am feeling quite happy!

If you are reading this in the UK I spent in total: £14.31
The USA: $17.74
Europe: €16.40

^Reading those figures it seems I ripped myself off a bit :lol:

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:55 pm

MattySlug wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:33 am
Long story short I bought 4 total CDs today on ebay. (from the same seller)
I consider myself very lucky to have been able to buy them!
All from the same seller, I bought three. ($5 each + $2.50 each postage, I didn't try and request a total as I felt the $7.50 total postage was fair)
Then frantically installed the ebay app on Mama Rose's iPhon so I could use a $5 off Coupon!!! (a $10 free postage CD, coupon brought it down to $5 in total!)
I think in my opinion they are all quite rare CDs, and I will be listening to them...Giving them a go and stuff so I am feeling quite happy!

If you are reading this in the UK I spent in total: £14.31
The USA: $17.74
Europe: €16.40

^Reading those figures it seems I ripped myself off a bit :lol:
Thats not bad, I've passed the £20 mark on one occasion for one in recent times.
Watching you sleep since 1990

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:25 am

rocky1980 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:22 pm
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT
- another name gone from the high street.

Its been more than a few years since I last bought a CD. Does anyone so under 25 buy them :?:
I do, I'm 18, then again I'm just weird lol. :D

Online streaming usually offers unnecessary remasters which sound unnecessarily loud and "airy" compared to the original mixes (which is likely done to be tailored to a 'modern' audience better somehow), oh and I am building up a steady collection of stuff by Feeder, so...
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:12 am

Bought a Full Priced MOJO Mag for the CD it came with last week. ($13.99 AUD)
Heavy Soul Vol.2!

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:22 pm

It came with a great CD last month, a whole album of Nick Cave covers. As for buying a CD, I never buy them any more. I can't remember the last one I bought, but the last one I was given as a gift was a few years back and was either Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 'Skeleton Tree' or Faith No More's last album, Sol Invictus. Whichever of those was most recently released!

I kind of miss the days of sitting and putting an album on. Music is so disposable now, it's so easy to just move on to the next thing on Spotify, whereas when I was younger you'd listen to what you'd bought over and over and albums you didn't really like would grow on you. Some of my favorite albums I didn't really like at first, but you just don't get that now, which is partly the reason I guess I find myself falling back on old favorites rather than seeking new stuff to listen to.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:10 pm

I bought Mrs Ant a CD at Christmas. Didn't really want or need it, it was just something to stick the concert tickets to so it 'looked' right.

It's in my car now, as the only thing set up in the house that will play it is my PS3 and her car doesn't have a CD player.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:21 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:10 pm
I bought Mrs Ant a CD at Christmas. Didn't really want or need it, it was just something to stick the concert tickets to so it 'looked' right.

It's in my car now, as the only thing set up in the house that will play it is my PS3 and her car doesn't have a CD player.
That's something that bugs me with modern cars, even with the smart systems I still like a back up as such, that being said maybe I am a bit wierd as I was still using Casettes in my old car and I prefer my phone well out the way.
Watching you sleep since 1990

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:16 am

I just put two orders through for some CDs.

First was last night at 1am...it contained 3 albums from The Real McKenzies, 1 Face to Face Album & 1 Album from The Bombpops! + a Frenzal Rhomb Zombie C0Rona Bandana!

Second Order was just an hour ago containing 4 Leonard Cohen Albums + the latest album from German Band Rage!!!

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:08 pm

Last night I missed out on the GTA: Vice City Soundtrack CD Boxset.
It went for £34 + £16 odd Postage + £7 or so Aussie GST so if I had won it I would of spent a bit.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:10 pm

finally went on a bus and down t'braehead to get my sister some birfday stuff
and I got these

£7.99 AND £2.99 for resist ... BARGIN'

just had to dust off the old cd player :oops:

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:24 am

Whoa that's a Bargain for the Within Temptation!!!
I haven't bought that yet!

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:43 am

I have just put in 5 or 6 offers to the same seller over on ebay for some sweet CDs!
Mainly Mishenal Editions! some come even with a bonus DVD!!!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:48 pm

Just ordered: Sirius B and Lemuria by Therion. Seriously good symphonic metal. Theli and Vovin are worthy listens, too.
Recently received from the US, Songs From Here and Back by The Beach Boys. Available for silly money over here, whereas US sellers on eBay are flouting the disc for as little as a fiver (disc was only available for one day, Father's Day, in Hallmark card stores, in 2006 I believe, and then withdrawn). Bought specifically for one song, the doozy called PT Cruiser by Al Jardine.
Also recently bought The Gerreg by The Hu. Anyone who doesn't know, this group took the rock world by storm last year - Mongolian rock with traditional instruments. Wolf Totem is the standout track, but the entire album is super.

I buy very few by download. Generally, specific songs by artists that I only want that one song of; so buying the CD makes for an unwanted purchase. [The Beach Boys above is an exception - I LOVE the band so will always buy on CD] A physical item is far preferred: sounds better, looks good, lyrics, other extras. Still buy the odd vinyl, too. :)