Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RetroMartin

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 am

Had a result in bath. Got battle Lade warrior, appointment with FEAR, citadel of chaos, demons of the deep, freeway fighter, talisman of death, temple of terror, trial of champions and the first avenger way of the tiger book for 9 quid.

They also had book 3 and 4 of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! And starship travellers (already own) and Fighting Fantasy (the book of how to make your own)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

tachi

Post by tachi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:31 am

Excellent find, I love Demons of the Deep :)
I've got them all now and but am now collecting the later Lone Wolf books but am finding books 20+ impossible to find anywhere except eBay :(
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 pm

tachi wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:57 pm
I got the collectors edition and in all honesty the stories pretty dire. In the first paragraph you gain 1 stamina yet haven't lost any yet and the first part is a rush to find food as your starving yet you begin with 10 provisions.
There are loads of other consultancies like this and it really feels rushed and poorly proofread but anything that reignited people's love for gamebooks is good imho.
In terms of world building its interesting enough, but you're right, from a play through point of view it's an unadulterated mess. The way all the stamina and skill buffs added up, my character was a walking tank by the end, which shouldn't be possible if you're using the proper rules for initial scores and such. All credit to Livingstone as one of the founders of the genre and further credit fro trying to revive it, but his books weren't great when he was writing them full time, and now he's really phoning it in. If they're serious about continuing and they can get some of the better FF writers back (Johnathan Green, Peter Darvill-Evans, Stephen Hand, Keith Martin) then we might have something. So far the only new book announced is from Charlie Higson. I can't say I'm enthused.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:47 pm

tachi wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:31 am
Excellent find, I love Demons of the Deep :)
I've got them all now and but am now collecting the later Lone Wolf books but am finding books 20+ impossible to find anywhere except eBay :(
If you're just wanting to read them, and dont mind not having physical copies, check out Project Aon:

https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

There's also the Freeway Warrior books and the World of Lone Wolf books on there. There's even a reader app for Android phones and tablets.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm

'Should' be out next month (They did say Feb 18) but theres a new app by the Fighting Fantasy team which sounds like you basically 'buy' books so its like a hub of hopefully lots of Fighting Fantasy games. They did release some a while back as seperate apps but sounds like this new app is basically going to collate all of them. Should be good

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm
'Should' be out next month (They did say Feb 18) but theres a new app by the Fighting Fantasy team which sounds like you basically 'buy' books so its like a hub of hopefully lots of Fighting Fantasy games. They did release some a while back as seperate apps but sounds like this new app is basically going to collate all of them. Should be good
They haven't explained whether or not you have to rebuy all the books you've already paid for, which haven't been updated to work on later versions of IOS yet. If I do that's a bit of a kick in the teeth.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Well its out and you cant get your old purchases as those were just for the standalone apps. They'll still support those

For the sake of a tenner i dont mind, just bought all the books in the new app. Nice its part of this compilation. For Tin Man to constantly keep releasing seperate apps it was going to be a lot of work with updates etc so i can see why they've gone for this new app. Thats the thing with digital media you will have issues like this, frustrating but as a bloke in my 40's i can handle paying another tenner for these games. Must admit always wanted one single app instead of lots of over bloated seperate apps.

They should be releasing many more books for the new app this year which will be good

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 am

A writer on Den of Geek revisits Deathtrap Dungeon.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/books-comic ... ntasy-book
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Tin Man Games have released Fighting Fantasy Classic on Steam to bring the classic gamebooks to our desktops. Bloodbones should be included as a freebie.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 am

Boulder wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:05 pm
Tin Man Games have released Fighting Fantasy Classic on Steam to bring the classic gamebooks to our desktops. Bloodbones should be included as a freebie.
Getting confused with these now ! I've got quite a few fighting fantasy games on my phone, need to get back into them !

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:03 am

Two new books for the Fighting Fantasy classics app

House of Hell and Trial of Champions, becoming a great little app this one. Nice to see these two books in it

Presume you all know there was a Freeway Fighter graphic novel ? Bought the issues from Comixology, read the first few, not bad at all

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:16 pm

I used to love these. Warlock of FTM, House of Hell ,Deathtrap Dungeon and the Sorcery series were easily the best books

I did buy a more recent FF book about 10 years ago. I must have re-started it about 4 times but each time kept losing interest. Not sure if its because of my tastes changing or the book!

I bought the Warlock of Firetop mountain Nintendo DS game a few years back. Is pretty good, it's like a first person adventure. I don't think it was released here. I got the US version.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 am

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:03 am
Two new books for the Fighting Fantasy classics app

House of Hell and Trial of Champions, becoming a great little app this one. Nice to see these two books in it

Presume you all know there was a Freeway Fighter graphic novel ? Bought the issues from Comixology, read the first few, not bad at all
I love Trial of Champions, but it hasn't aged well. You take the wrong turn at a T-Junction near the start and you're dead further down the line, no matter what you do and annoyingly you never know what it is without massive trial and error. Could have done with a bit of tweaking.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Wasn't Trial of Champions essentially Deathtrap Dungeon with some gladiatorial trials before hand? Did I remember that correctly?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:26 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:37 pm
Wasn't Trial of Champions essentially Deathtrap Dungeon with some gladiatorial trials before hand? Did I remember that correctly?
Pretty much, but most Ian Livingstone books are essentially the same dungeon crawl, even when they're above ground. So many T-junctions, even in Forest of Doom...