How Far Behind in the Magazine Issues Are You?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

icemann

How Far Behind in the Magazine Issues Are You?

Post by icemann » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 pm

So I've been an avid reader of Retro Gamer Magazine since the beginning. My problem? Finding time to read it. There's just so many good articles per magazine generally, though I tend to skip the Spectrum articles since we never had that over here in Australia + I feel that the magazine has a odd love for that console (just look at the reviews of the Spectrum ports in the "Conversion Capers" bits. They always get high praise, despite the average graphics compared to the other consoles).

So I'd estimate that I'm roughly 4 years behind in the magazine by this stage. I'm still subscribed mind you. Currently making my way, bit by bit through issue 144.

So how far behind are you? Worse than me?

Kind makes it amusing for me, as even the "present day" articles are nearly retro in themselves by the time I get to read them.

RetroBob

Re: How Far Behind in the Magazine Issues Are You?

Post by RetroBob » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Haha yes I have this too! I am 3 issues behind. The worst I have been is about 10 months maybe. The good thing is that most of the mag doesn't age and is worth reading.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

icemann

Post by icemann » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:48 am

Definitely

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:28 am

Not sure how far back it goes, but the stack next to my bed of unopened issues goes from floor to top of the bed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 am

icemann wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 pm
So I've been an avid reader of Retro Gamer Magazine since the beginning. My problem? Finding time to read it. There's just so many good articles per magazine generally, though I tend to skip the Spectrum articles since we never had that over here in Australia + I feel that the magazine has a odd love for that console (just look at the reviews of the Spectrum ports in the "Conversion Capers" bits. They always get high praise, despite the average graphics compared to the other consoles).
Well the Speccy was huge in the UK, one reason it was on the front cover of the first RG and the front cover of the updated RG when Imagine took over. Wouldnt say its an odd love, be weird if it wasnt featured that much. Still tons of homebrew games coming out every year

If you're a fan of retro games you must know graphics dont make a game. So many Speccy games were so playable, monochrome graphics or not. I think the highly defined graphics on the Speccy were great. Many stand the test of time years later

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:26 pm

I always try n read mine from cover to cover in the month.
Im right up to date and ive been buying the mag from the NO 1.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm up to date, but I do tend to skip parts on genres that don't really interest me (Sport, RTG and heavy RPG mainly) and anything modern looking I.E. textured 3D polygons.

icemann

Post by icemann » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:31 am

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 am
icemann wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 pm
Well the Speccy was huge in the UK, one reason it was on the front cover of the first RG and the front cover of the updated RG when Imagine took over. Wouldnt say its an odd love, be weird if it wasnt featured that much. Still tons of homebrew games coming out every year

If you're a fan of retro games you must know graphics dont make a game. So many Speccy games were so playable, monochrome graphics or not. I think the highly defined graphics on the Speccy were great. Many stand the test of time years later
For the UK sure. For the rest of the world though, we never even heard of the Spectrum until RG. I'm a child of the 80s and here in Australia we had pretty much everything else around except that.

The Spectrum is just a very UK specific one. The rest of us were too busy on our Commodore 64's at the time.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:26 pm

That surprises me Icemann, that Australia wasn't really into Spectrum. In NZ it was huge. Most people I knew had one, moved up from ZX81. Perhaps NZ had more more of a cross section of market, embracing UK, US and Hong Kong, covering Atari, Commodore, BBC, Sinclair, Orics and Dragons, to V tech and Sega. I always thought Australia had been similar. Because of the cost of the Spectrum, most opted for it....then as more kids had then, more kids wanted it due to being able to tape swop

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:24 pm

The Spectrum wasn't just a UK thing though, it was also very popular in Spain, Portugal and Russia too.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:54 am

I'm usually 2 or 3 issues behind, although i try and flip through a new issue. Sometimes i'll read the new issue but still have 2 or 3 i haven't read.

Just on the Speccy - it was insanely popular in the UK in the 80s, and RG is a UK magazine, ergo it features a lot! I certainly don't think it's over represented. But it's all subjective I guess - i personally am not interested in Xbox articles and there seem to have been a lot over the last year (probably just my impression!)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:27 pm

I've got piles apon piles of still sealed mags upstairs, I did try to cancel it a while back as I just don't get to read the mag that much anymore and I'd be better off just picking it up from Tesco's when I fancy a dip.
Watching you sleep since 1990

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:18 am

Hi Guys,

First time back on this site for a few years. I buy the mag from time to time but I must be missing at least 12 issues now.