How Far Behind in the Magazine Issues Are You?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

icemann

How Far Behind in the Magazine Issues Are You?

Post by icemann » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 pm

So I've been an avid reader of Retro Gamer Magazine since the beginning. My problem? Finding time to read it. There's just so many good articles per magazine generally, though I tend to skip the Spectrum articles since we never had that over here in Australia + I feel that the magazine has a odd love for that console (just look at the reviews of the Spectrum ports in the "Conversion Capers" bits. They always get high praise, despite the average graphics compared to the other consoles).

So I'd estimate that I'm roughly 4 years behind in the magazine by this stage. I'm still subscribed mind you. Currently making my way, bit by bit through issue 144.

So how far behind are you? Worse than me?

Kind makes it amusing for me, as even the "present day" articles are nearly retro in themselves by the time I get to read them.
Bipolar Game PC Edition available at: https://store.steampowered.com/app/463450/Bipolar_Game/

RetroBob

Re: How Far Behind in the Magazine Issues Are You?

Post by RetroBob » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Haha yes I have this too! I am 3 issues behind. The worst I have been is about 10 months maybe. The good thing is that most of the mag doesn't age and is worth reading.
XBL: RetroBob
Wii U: RetroBob
PSN: RetroBobUK
3DS: 0232 8156 8633
Feel free to add me!

icemann

Post by icemann » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:48 am

Definitely
Bipolar Game PC Edition available at: https://store.steampowered.com/app/463450/Bipolar_Game/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:28 am

Not sure how far back it goes, but the stack next to my bed of unopened issues goes from floor to top of the bed.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 am

icemann wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 pm
So I've been an avid reader of Retro Gamer Magazine since the beginning. My problem? Finding time to read it. There's just so many good articles per magazine generally, though I tend to skip the Spectrum articles since we never had that over here in Australia + I feel that the magazine has a odd love for that console (just look at the reviews of the Spectrum ports in the "Conversion Capers" bits. They always get high praise, despite the average graphics compared to the other consoles).
Well the Speccy was huge in the UK, one reason it was on the front cover of the first RG and the front cover of the updated RG when Imagine took over. Wouldnt say its an odd love, be weird if it wasnt featured that much. Still tons of homebrew games coming out every year

If you're a fan of retro games you must know graphics dont make a game. So many Speccy games were so playable, monochrome graphics or not. I think the highly defined graphics on the Speccy were great. Many stand the test of time years later

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:26 pm

I always try n read mine from cover to cover in the month.
Im right up to date and ive been buying the mag from the NO 1.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm up to date, but I do tend to skip parts on genres that don't really interest me (Sport, RTG and heavy RPG mainly) and anything modern looking I.E. textured 3D polygons.