A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

oldtimer

Re: Renting videotapes

Post by oldtimer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:45 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:43 pm
Nice idea but yeah mad

I know about the resurgence in vinyl and you can get quite a few new record players. But videos ??

I love retro stuff but nah i love stuff like Plex etc where in seconds i can watch a film. I have a lot of dvds but theyre gathering dust and i'm converted fully to digital stuff

"But with digital you dont own anything physical ?" Yeah i dont mind, still got tons of VHS tapes gathering dust, now the DVDs are

Brave move by this guy and having the arcade machine is quite cool but cant see the business lasting. Has to rent a ton of tapes out i'm sure to cover his costs
Good VHS Machines have slowly begun to rise again in value over the past year ive noticed and some charity shops are beginning to sell them again.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm currently in the process of downsizing my Blu-Rays, HD-DVDs, DVDs and VHS to a more manageable level. My master plan is to have the lion's share of films in Blu-Ray and keep the legacy formats for films that are either unavailable on BR, have special features that are unavailable on BR, have a certain aesthetic or visual appeal that is lacking on BR or go back a long way from a nostalgic point of view.

I'm not convinced that 4K Ultra HD will last in the long run. It might have an appeal for the Home Theatre devotees but it's too expensive for most people and most films don't take advantage of 4K anyway.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:40 pm

English Invader wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:49 pm
I'm currently in the process of downsizing my Blu-Rays, HD-DVDs, DVDs and VHS to a more manageable level. My master plan is to have the lion's share of films in Blu-Ray and keep the legacy formats for films that are either unavailable on BR, have special features that are unavailable on BR, have a certain aesthetic or visual appeal that is lacking on BR or go back a long way from a nostalgic point of view.

I'm not convinced that 4K Ultra HD will last in the long run. It might have an appeal for the Home Theatre devotees but it's too expensive for most people and most films don't take advantage of 4K anyway.

I've watched a couple of ultra hi-def films (including Bladerunner 2049) from Google store. I honestly couldn't tell any noticable increase in quality from watching on a pretty decent 49 inch tv. I've seen tech demos in shops and uhd can look utterly stunning - but that was only tech demos. Anyone recommend a movie to watch that looks significantly better in uhd?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:15 am

Will the difference be that noticeable on a screen that size? The difference between SD and HD wasn't significant until you had a screen that was 42" or larger, perhaps 49" is at the low end of the scale to see the difference from HD to UHD.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:03 am

Depending on your viewing distance you would really need a 55”+ screen.

Also you have to take compression into account. Dvd and 1080p quality streams are about the same as their disc based equivalent.

4K is a different beast altogether. The compression is high so even though it looks great it’s actually very poor compared to 4K discs. It’s around upto 40mbps for a stream and a 4K disc depending on the master around 100+mbps. Literally around a third of what a disc gives you.

Also the audio with streams is very poor as it’s also heavily compressed compared to full hi def audio off discs.