Renting videotapes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Ryan GH

Re: Renting videotapes

Post by Ryan GH » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:32 pm

They said that about Blu-ray and yet dvds sell more. Much more.
Dvds are as chip as chips these days and I hardly get that horrible commercial about stealing a car in any of the latest releases from about 2016 on-wards. Dvds in JB Hi-fi sill outnumber the blu-rays by about 5 to 1.
Commercials are very easy to skip too, just use the remote to skip them. :P

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:35 pm

DVDs do look terrible on a big (50"+) screen though, so the shelf life is limited. Blu Ray is noticeably a better image. So DVD is ok for those cheap 'watch once' movies, but for the real spectacular faves, you want HD. I rarely ever buy physical now, having the downloads ready to play on any system in the house is too convenient.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:20 pm

I still buy blu rays of the he films I really like (eg Star Wars ones) but now due to digital I don’t really watch them ! Love Plex (signed up for the lifetime pass) and again I’ve got all the star wars films digitally as well

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 am

see i have a home theatre in a box dvd player system with a 5.1 setup so i still go for dvds but also watch stuff on sky boxsets/cinema as well as other movie channels but i find some downloads/streams to be of a poor bitrate quality but dvds you seem to get a standard bit rate on most of them apart from budget dvds but these still have a watchable bit rate even though its lower you still get little to no artifacts. although to be fair time of day internet connection quality and other factors probably come into it ith streaming.

if i do stream i use a 2.1 soundbar(sometimes with a dedicated sub woofer depending on what it is i'm watching and if it needs extra bass or not) but i do like having dvds they look nice on display and you get the poster art work on a lot of the covers or someother art work
This guy are sick

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 am

Having recently watched the remake of IT on an up-scaled dvd on a big 65 inch tv, I barely noticed the drop in quality at all. I do have a blu-ray player, in fact that was what we used to view it on.

I do have blu-rays of my utmost favorite movies but only about 150. Would I be just as happy with a dvd version?
Probably but only because I'm the kinda guy who would choose a playstation 2 over a playstation 4.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Ryan GH wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 am
Having recently watched the remake of IT on an up-scaled dvd on a big 65 inch tv, I barely noticed the drop in quality at all. I do have a blu-ray player, in fact that was what we used to view it on.

I do have blu-rays of my utmost favorite movies but only about 150. Would I be just as happy with a dvd version?
Probably but only because I'm the kinda guy who would choose a playstation 2 over a playstation 4.
IT was a great film cant wait for chapter 2 and yeah ps2 over ps4 anyday
This guy are sick

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Despite culling my DVD collection a bit, I find each year as boot fairs start up, I end up buying half the films (and then some) back, as they seem to go for as little as 20p now. I've also started watching all the old Chevy Chase / John Candy / Steve Martin films with my daughter and its nice picking them up for next to nothing and her getting to see the covers etc. Only problem is the mountain has grown again and I don't really have anywhere to store them now.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:08 am

I know how you feel. I have my collection stored in all places of my house and my old lady is not very impressed :-(

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 am

Ryan GH wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:08 am
I know how you feel. I have my collection stored in all places of my house and my old lady is not very impressed :-(
mine are in drawers and ontop of draws(those are my dads old ones that i had after his death) but just need a bit of dvd storage now(going to get a tall and wide book shelf that will do along with my other tall thinner book shelf but also need to replace my book storage as thats far too small for all my comics/books also need new d stoarage as my old storage fell apart as it was flimsy.

used to have double the dvds but had a huge clear out as i had got to the point i was storing them in piles on the floor so did a huge cex run and got a silly small trade in amount but its been worth it to have more space and i'm back at the point where ican buy new ones again as long as i do it in moderation(most my games aare digital now just the odd few that i want physical or if they arent on digital).

unless your a collector of films and want to keep the artwork ect you could just stick the discs in a big dvd folder(but that is risky as it can scratch the dvds)

how many have tou got at a guess anyway? i think i must have at lest 2000(probs not too much over that number used to be more like 4000)
This guy are sick

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 am

stayAwhile wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 am
unless your a collector of films and want to keep the artwork ect you could just stick the discs in a big dvd folder(but that is risky as it can scratch the dvds)
Exactly what I do, all the boxes are in boxes in a storage unit!
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:02 pm

DVDs do look terrible on a big (50"+) screen though, so the shelf life is limited. Blu Ray is noticeably a better image. So DVD is ok for those cheap 'watch once' movies, but for the real spectacular faves, you want HD. I rarely ever buy physical now, having the downloads ready to play on any system in the house is too convenient.
I feel much the same now, 99% of my physical media is gone. DVD's have no value at all now, my children have no real idea what a DVD is !. Its all streaming media for them.

When I was a kids my home town had two video rental shops and it was great. That feeling of going in and picking a film for the weekend, I really miss it. Even when I was first dating my wife we used to go into blockbuster and rent 4/5 DVD's for the weekend
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:08 pm

'People tell me I'm mad for opening a video rental shop in Liverpool'
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-o ... g-14825811

There's a "hidden arcade" too.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Nice idea but yeah mad

I know about the resurgence in vinyl and you can get quite a few new record players. But videos ??

I love retro stuff but nah i love stuff like Plex etc where in seconds i can watch a film. I have a lot of dvds but theyre gathering dust and i'm converted fully to digital stuff

"But with digital you dont own anything physical ?" Yeah i dont mind, still got tons of VHS tapes gathering dust, now the DVDs are

Brave move by this guy and having the arcade machine is quite cool but cant see the business lasting. Has to rent a ton of tapes out i'm sure to cover his costs

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:43 pm

He's still.going. Fair play I thought it would be closed by now.

This thread is now 6 years old which makes me happy and depressed in equal measure haha.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:04 pm

rocky1980 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:02 pm
When I was a kids my home town had two video rental shops and it was great. That feeling of going in and picking a film for the weekend, I really miss it. Even when I was first dating my wife we used to go into blockbuster and rent 4/5 DVD's for the weekend
But look what we have now. Can preview a ton of films online, Netflix/Amazon/Apple TV, check trailers out easily. I often have a quick look at an Empire review online.

In seconds i can then watch the film or TV series. Unbelievable what we have now compared to the bad old days where you tredge into town, they still dont haev a copy of Robocop for you to watch despite being on reserve for ages the idiot behind the desk tells you off for not rewinding the video you've returned etc.

I love nostalgia but i'm not that biased towards it, we've got it far far better now with tons of tv channels/latest films at a flick of a button or a cheap subscription. Look forward to binge watching through a series or choosing a film online with the missus to watch on a saturday.

Going on holiday soon, fill up the ipad with films for the kids and theyre quiet as a mouse on the trip in the car