Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:41 pm

oli_lar wrote: Its a pity those online shops selling crisps are so expensive as they have a decent range. 40 x pickled onion space raiders for a tenner when you can get the ten packs for a pound in pretty much every supermarket! You have to trawl round corner shops to get Quarterbacks or Snaps :(
I can only speak for my own line of work (wholesale) but crisps are usually that expensive because they are designed to be sold on for huge profits in cafes, retailers etc.

Quarterbacks were part of Red Mill's range but RM were bought out by Golden Wonder. The likes of Quarterbacks, Mighty Onion-O's, Chunky Cheesies and all that (they changed the names when GW took over) are all still sold by the shedload where I work but to cafes, kids playcentres and caterers. Snaps are a massive seller too but sadly the cheese ones still haven'yt come back :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:18 pm

I actually got one of the x40 boxes of space raiders from Costco not long ago. Think it was a fiver. Sadly it seems to be an intermittent product for them. They have started regularly doing mixed boxes of snaps, chipsticks and bacon fries though :D

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue May 23, 2017 2:20 pm

king size snickers bars (actual proper king size!) they have shrunk them down over the years and they are not the same. a case of the nanny state has decided because a few individuals eat 10 of them in one go or something that means we all have to have them made smaller.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Analog wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 2:20 pm
king size snickers bars (actual proper king size!) they have shrunk them down over the years and they are not the same. a case of the nanny state has decided because a few individuals eat 10 of them in one go or something that means we all have to have them made smaller.
That or Mars trying to make more profit by giving you less product for the same (or more) cost price. It's been slowly happening across all confectionary for years with the rising cost of cocoa allegedly responsible for the chocolate side of things.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat May 27, 2017 11:19 am

Things I miss.

Lilt. I don't know if they still make it but the last time I had it it was like drinking chemical waste. I mean Lilt in the 80s when it was nice.

Maverick bars. Always loses out in the nostalgia stakes to Fuse bars but these were better.

Skips in sweetcorn relish flavour.

Those weird He-Man branded jelly sweets you could get 30 years ago.

Freshen Up chewing gum.

Pacers.

Diet Vanilla Coke.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat May 27, 2017 11:26 am

Oh and I would have abolished all voting in this country when they people voted in the mint Kit Kay Chunky instead of the brilliant coconut flavour.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Whilst doing a bit of shopping the other day, I noticed they were selling 4-packs of Ski yoghurt.

Hadn't seen that for years!!
Press Play On Tape

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Dairylea Lunchables feels so old to me now but they still do them.

I don't think they are that good though mind. (Probably tastes the same though)
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Ricicles has now joined the club of discontinued foods for being too sugary. Pity, I loved those as a kid.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.