History of football managment games?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I've never played a footie management game ever! :oops:

Does footballer of the year count? I played that on th C16 - It didnt have a graphics! It was all text.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:22 pm

TheDude18 wrote:I've never played a footie management game ever! :oops:

Does footballer of the year count? I played that on th C16 - It didnt have a graphics! It was all text.
Ginat Killers on the Dreamcast isn't far off that. To say I was disappointed with the game is an understatement. Just that title - 'Giant Killers' - brings to mind epic battles akin to Shadow of the Collossus. Nope. Dull text based footie management.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:24 am

Never tried the C16 version. Was it honestly all text ? So you didnt even shoot to score goals like the other versions ?

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:06 am

All text. The back of the box had c64 screenshots (as the norm) but I didnt expect it to be all text!

When to took shots at goal you had to type where at goal you wanted to shoot at!

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:44 pm

David wrote:I used to love the Kevin Keegan game on the snes.
Yep, absolutely.

Very good Player/Manager game. Loved it.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:05 am

CraigGrannell wrote:It's been done before, twice. Once was way back in issue 4 (Simon Brew's 'The beautiful game' feature), and this also featured non-management titles. The second time was issue 32's 'The Evolution of Football Management', by Sean Smith. It might be worth a revisit at some point, but only with a significantly different spin.
Yeah, but the article in issue 32 was pretty awful and spent too much time on Champ Man/Football Manager. I was really disappointed with it.

I think there could be an article on the earlier games; D&H released tons of games bth at full-price and on their 'Cult' budget label. As has been mentioned, Football Director 2 was excellent, it was the first game that really did feel like being a manager.

Tracksuit Manager was also a quality title, although unless you picked England you had to type in the names of your players!

Player Manager was immense, and very well-featured. SWOS had nowhere near the depth or strategy.

Anybody remember Multi-Player Soccer Manager on the ST/Amiga? It was another D&H game, but you could have up to 4 players at the same time. That was pretty good, the transfer market was always fun.

And what about The Manager from US Gold? On Christmas Day Santa flew over the pitch IIRC.

I owned so many football management games as a youngster, my friend and I used to have loads of fun with them. Clearly I vote for another article!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:17 am

a feature on football managment games?

DEAR GOD NOOOOOO ! ! ! !
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:19 pm

I seem to remember a game on the Spectrum where you just picked a handfull of teams & watched as the results of FA cup games came in & hoped that your teams were still in it at the later rounds?

Am I right or have I been drinking too much Staropramen tonight?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:53 am

I had Football Manager on the C16 - yet again, all text, but incredibly easy!!! :D

But your all missing an excellent Football Management game: Football Tactician 2 on the Amiga - a mail order game with constand updates to the data, four different leagues (England, Scotland, Italy, Germany) and then later re-released commercially under the name of Tactical Manger (CU Amiga gave away a playable-demo of Tactical Manager)

Definately a superb game, very accurate, but easy to get on with.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:35 pm

TheDude18 wrote:All text. The back of the box had c64 screenshots (as the norm) but I didnt expect it to be all text!

When to took shots at goal you had to type where at goal you wanted to shoot at!
I loved FOTY on C64, still play it now in fact... :)

Also liked, Football Manager, Tracksuit Manager, Player Manager, and have dabbled with a bit of CM, and am now giving Football Manager 07 a bash on the PSP.... and floundering around near the bottom of the Conference with Exeter City.... :(

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:58 am

Only one i've ever played was on the 64, anyone else played The Boss?

Text only, got quite tense from what I can remember, alas cannot remember who programmed it though...

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 am

Anybody remember the 'On the Ball' series made by Ascon on the Amiga. Fantastic games came in 'World Cup' and 'League' Edition, highly recommended.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:27 pm

the_hawk wrote:I seem to remember a game on the Spectrum where you just picked a handfull of teams & watched as the results of FA cup games came in & hoped that your teams were still in it at the later rounds?

No, you're right. It was called FA Cup Football and I always found it far more fun than it should have been.

You picked 8 teams (or had then picked randomly), then you picked the tactics for each match and occasionally you had to answer questions "YOU ARE THE REF!" style about your team.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:23 am

Oh, Football management sims - I've virtually been banned from them by my wife :P

Championship Manager 2 was great - besides the UK one I also had it in Dutch for the Dutch, Belgian and Italian leagues on the PC. Oddly enough you could edit the text bar that flashed throughout the game. So you could change the text from "And Platt shoots past the post" to something less favourable... though being a bit of a sadist I used to play as 2 managers, one with the richest club and one I liked, then crooked it so I'd sell all the good players to the team I liked for nothing, then sold the crap players to that club for squillions. Tips - on CM2, when you bid for a player, bid a crazy amount (more than 2x the value) and the offer will be accepted. Then go back to the bid and reduce it to zero, but don't click accept, just exit. If the player agrees to sign, you get him for free. Also, if you are playing as 2 managers, buy a player for the max money (20 million) and also offer 3 loan players. Get them to reject a move. Then when you sell the player, they all reject and the other club has to pay a shitload extra...

Otherwise Premier Manager. I found PM3 okay but it was slow. PM1 was nice; PM2 is my favourite despite all the bugs. You could do a season in an hour if you wanted to. I found so many bugs though... after X years all new players are rated "fair *" so you join a club and all your players are 100% crap, save for one who isn't but is nearly 40 and will leave anyway. Also, the more you loaded and saved, the more you did on the game, after X seasons the game crashes beyond repair, like even if you restart the PC and load it again, it just won't work anymore - it said the RAM had been used up. Why I don't know, when you're playing it on a PC with loads of RAM then there's no excuse really...

Worst one - The Premiership (Codemasters). Dreadful. And don't forget Baddiel and Skinner's Fantasy Football - great show, bland game.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:07 am

the_hawk wrote:I seem to remember a game on the Spectrum where you just picked a handfull of teams & watched as the results of FA cup games came in & hoped that your teams were still in it at the later rounds?

The game is just called FA CUP by virgin .

Its not bad if you can let your imagination run wild.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer