History of football managment games?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

IronMaidenRule

History of football managment games?

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:57 am

Not too sure if this was done in previous issues, but i think an article on Football Managment games would be awesome!

You could start from Football Manager on the spectrum then look at Premier manager and Player manager on the Amiga then up to the mighty CM01/02 on the PC.

Oooooh, you can also explain on how the advancements in computer technology has evolved these games! :P

psj3809

Re: History of football managment games?

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:59 am

BoyzoneRule wrote:Not too sure if this was done in previous issues, but i think an article on Football Managment games would be awesome!

You could start from Football Manager on the spectrum then look at Premier manager and Player manager on the Amiga then up to the mighty CM01/02 on the PC.

Oooooh, you can also explain on how the advancements in computer technology has evolved these games! :P
Yeah i wouldnt mind that, loved Football Manager and of course the Amiga management games. My favourite though was Player Manager on the Amiga, bit of standard management to it but playing the games was cool as well

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Seconded! I would find this article very interesting! My favourite has to be Championship Manager 93 on the Atari ST, I lost whole days to that game (but won a lot of titles 8) ).

Premier Manager was a good one, though I always found it wierd that the manager should have to pick the advertising boards! Although it was a good source of revenue and an indication of how far your team had come.

I enjoy Player Manager too. Mostly because I love Kick Off and the added depth was brilliant - akin to when Sensible Soccer became Sensible World of Soccer. I didn't have SWOS at the time as it never surfaced for the struggling ST, but a friend had it and I discovered it properly for myself recently when it was released foy XBox Live.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Well, myself and my brother have played lots of football management sims in the past, including some obscure ones (Professional Footballer on the CPC to name one), but yes I'd love to see an article on footy management sims.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:09 pm

If any of the staff are reading this, I'd also love a history of football management sims.

Y'know, 'cos winter won't be long coming in, and I'll need some kindling.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:22 pm

It's been done before, twice. Once was way back in issue 4 (Simon Brew's 'The beautiful game' feature), and this also featured non-management titles. The second time was issue 32's 'The Evolution of Football Management', by Sean Smith. It might be worth a revisit at some point, but only with a significantly different spin.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:37 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:It's been done before, twice. Once was way back in issue 4 (Simon Brew's 'The beautiful game' feature), and this also featured non-management titles. The second time was issue 32's 'The Evolution of Football Management', by Sean Smith. It might be worth a revisit at some point, but only with a significantly different spin.
Oh yeah! Forgot about them ....... (walks off to dig out old RG magazines)

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Amusingly of course you could call it "Football Manager to Football Manager"
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Naturally, I shall object.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

David

Post by David » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:39 am

I used to love the Kevin Keegan game on the snes.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:46 am

I played the original Football Manager on the c64 (and later Football Manager 2 on the Atari ST). Loved how players increased and decreased in value fairly haphazardly.

The most difficult game was Jimmy's Soccer Manager for the C64. I don't remember playing much of it and I couldn't get out of the conference. Match of the Day was also hard as you had no budget and crap players (I'd like to see it revisited nowadays with a digitised Gary Lineker and Alan Hansen!)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:17 am

David wrote:I used to love the Kevin Keegan game on the snes.
Really exciting for a while, then the cart looses the plot and walks away.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:49 am

Tracksuit Manager and Football Director 2 were excellent.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:39 am

Trying to remember the game i played tons on the PC in the mid 90's, must have been a Championship Manager one.

I used to add lots of players but then sell/drop all the best players from the teams and using one team used to buy all these players or add them.

It was like an early Chelsea team as i had all the young stars, made it much better for me !

Just didnt have the time to nurture and develop lots of players so went for the best squad there was, great game though

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:02 pm

Audiogenic's football management game on the Amiga was great , mainly because player's abilities were described verbally , with not a stat in sight

'the Double' on the 8-bits was probably the most difficult to conquer (maanged to do it eventually) , and of course Anco's Player Manager on the ST/Amiga was superb in that improvements in the quality of the players was tangible in their on-screen abilities to pass and shoot

Unfortunately the Football Manager ended up going full-circle back to stat based 'games' which , whilst undeniably addictive , are little better than than spreadsheets
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"