Maintaining old machines - A techy section?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:45 pm

sparky wrote:
A section purely about fixing hardware would not appeal to the vast majority of readers I don't think, particularly when imformation is already so accessible on the net.
Agree, but much of the information that is in RG is also available on the net. :wink:
Agree, agree!

But sometimes it's not as attractively presented! :wink: Plus, speaking from my own point of view, I learn more about other computers/consoles that I didn't have the first time around because I'm more likely to read interviews/articles in RG than I am to go and actively search the net for similar information.

Guess I'm just lazy... :P

sparky

Re:

Post by sparky » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:03 pm

andy vaisey wrote:
Agree, agree!

But sometimes it's not as attractively presented! :wink: Plus, speaking from my own point of view, I learn more about other computers/consoles that I didn't have the first time around because I'm more likely to read interviews/articles in RG than I am to go and actively search the net for similar information.

Guess I'm just lazy... :P
Definately, I also prefer to read a mag rather than browsing for information. :)

[CuBe]

Post by [CuBe] » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:36 am

I'm also in for some more "technical" information. For example, I loved the artikel about the Atari 2600 programming tricks some issues ago. Also I would like (more) technical info by the features about old systems.

(sorry for the bad English, it is not my native language)

ps.
Hi everyone, this is my first post on retrogamer :-)

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:03 am

sparky wrote: Right back to chinnyhill10's C64 issue, have you checked the voltage lines on the edge connector, assuming you have a voltmeter.
Might be worth me getting hold of one. Probably a little project over Xmas to pull the C64's out and give it all another go.

Voidoid

Post by Voidoid » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:44 pm

I'd like to see the occasional feature like this too. Something like tape head alignment is relevant to several different platforms and deserves a detailed explanation. (More than ten years of fixing tape decks and I still find it more of a superstitious ritual than anything else.)

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:35 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
planetmatt wrote:Basically if a cartirdge game fails to load; blow on it. Never fails :)
Yes, or perhaps use some 99% pure alcohol and some lint free swabs to clean the connectors.
Another good way is to use an "Ink" Rubber. Remember you used to get two tone erasers, one end with standard rubber and one with a more gritty rubber that caimed to be in k eraser and never worked.

Use the Ink end to take the oxidisation off of the copper contacts and the cartridge will work a treat.

You can buy proper copper buffing blocks but they tend to be expensive.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:02 am

with regard to the C64's datessette issue.

Don't know whether th C64's board is similar, but my C16 had a similar problem and I found that the motherboard features a fuse between the the tape connector and the circurity sending power out to the tape unit. When I replaced the fuse ...... hey presto! tape unit working.

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:24 am

woody.cool wrote:Don't know whether th C64's board is similar, but my C16 had a similar problem and I found that the motherboard features a fuse between the the tape connector and the circurity sending power out to the tape unit. When I replaced the fuse ...... hey presto! tape unit working.
It depends on the board, the older, bigger ones don't directly but the economy board used in most C64C machines (it doesn't cover the entire base of the case and almost always uses an 8580 SID) has a fuse at back right of the board that covers both the SID and the tape deck; if that's popped the deck'll stop working and, if the machine is given something to run from disk or cartridge, there'll be no sound.

As for techie articles... i've sort of offered in the past with no sign of interest, but i have a thought or two about a possible programming piece that'll be techie but i think will fit fairly snugly within RG's field.

GarryG

Re:

Post by GarryG » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:01 am

andy vaisey wrote:How about semi-regular articles that cover harware that relate to gaming - for example building cables to transfer game software or computer/console add-ons that enhance/improve gaming somehow?
I would still like to see an article on converting the origonal games pads for the older consoles to work on the PC.

I think most people would like to play emulated games with the origonal controllers.
I'm thinking adout things like the Master system, Megadrive, NES and SNES type of console pads...

I don't thing this is too far away from the 'games' topic, certainly no more than the 'building a MAME' cabinet article.

I'd still like to see a 'how to build a Suppergun' article as well.