BASIC listings

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:20 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
mikeb wrote:I now have an uncontrollable urge to type it in too. The world's gone mad.
Seriously, man, just copy and paste, unless you're a masochist. (Well, or unless Windows-based C64 emulators don't let you do that, which would be a bit rubbish.)
They don't... instead the text version could be headered and footered up for Tok64 but that's quite a fiddly process.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:29 am

I just get an '?illegal quantity error in 30' message :(

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:30 am

SirClive wrote:I just get an '?illegal quantity error in 30' message :(
Sounds like a mistype matey, at a guess it's in the data rather than line 30 itself, check that none of them are greater than 255.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:36 am

Yep that did it :lol:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:34 pm

TMR wrote:They don't... instead the text version could be headered and footered up for Tok64 but that's quite a fiddly process.
Ah, fair enough. In my case, I just selected your forum post's listing, hit Command+C, opened Power64, hit Command+V, typed Run and hit Enter. Man, I wish type-ins had been that simple in the old days!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

starving horace

BASIC listings

Post by starving horace » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Hm. What a different idea, let me ponder over it for a while.....

How about... it's a rubbish idea.

PanzerGeneral

Re: BASIC listings

Post by PanzerGeneral » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Type in listings invariably failed during the eighties due to crap type setting and quality control.
Would I like to see them in Retro Gamer? - would I Fxxk!
Although the idea is not all bad,how about a multi format feature showing a few programming tricks on each machine - oh the wonder as I discovered the poke command that let you play audio tapes through the telly on the Atari 800xl, the wonderment on my youthful chops as I created a seizure inducing strobe on the beeb!

After all - emulators can do a lot more than accept the load"" command!

appman2010

Post by appman2010 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:50 am

I just looked at the data and converted to ASCII, it says, "THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!", why type it in when you can run it in your head...;)

I agree, listings are a thing of the past, very bad idea indeed, its a different world now.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:28 pm

appman2010 wrote:I just looked at the data and converted to ASCII, it says, "THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!", why type it in when you can run it in your head...;)
Well, i could've obfuscated things a little (the first thing that springs to mind is having each byte as an EOR value that follows on from the previous one) but i was keeping the listing short so that folks might actually consider entering it. =-)

appman2010

Post by appman2010 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Actually the last listing I ever typed in out of a magazine (just for fun mind) was one provided by the great Andrew Braybrook (C64 fame).

It was from an old article in the famous Zzapp 64 magazine called 'Mental Procreation', 'The birth of Paradroid'.

I have inserted the paragraph below which is an excerpt from it and kinda illustrates why I typed it in.

Hopefully by now some of you will have played the Competition Edition of Paradroid in the Christmas double pack. Being 50% faster than the standard edition, it certainly plays a lot more furiously. I discovered how to make Paradroid run fast after I finished Alleykat. I was experimenting with the double-speed CPU in the C128 which is an adaptation of the 6510, called the 8510. It can run at a clock speed of 2MHZ if required, but normally it runs at 1MHz for C64 compatibility.

Upon further investigation, I realised that the 6510 present in all C64s could also be encouraged to run at this higher speed by use of software. I have produced a BASIC listing to allow you to apply this discovery to your own software. Just key in the program and save it to tape or disk. . RUN it, and then NEW it. Finally load in any game from cassette. Once loaded, it will run at up to double normal speed, prepare for a mega-fast game! Since the 6510 Accelerator upsets disk loading speeds, it cannot be used to speed up disk-based software yet, but I am working on a solution to this.

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzap24/mental2.html

Can you guess what happend if you follow this article to its final conclusion!

Maybe I'll let you dig around for the answer ;)