Vision/Acid Software - Please can we have a feature!

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Heavy Stylus

Vision/Acid Software - Please can we have a feature!

Post by Heavy Stylus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:46 am

I'd love to see a definitive developer look back at Acid Software, the Amiga heroes.

Developers of classics such as Roadkill, Skidmarks, Guardian and of course Blitz Basic, the company that started off releasing shareware games (under the Vision name - or was that a different group?) on the Amiga (Zombie Apocalypse I&II) and Atari (Cybernetix anyone?) even released a few budget PC games before vanishing off the map early this decade.

It would be a really interesting read to hear what happened to the company during it's rise and fall, and why they decided never to move over from the Amiga/PC to the console market.

EDIT: It's worth noting that these two teams released another dozen or so games in addition to the few listed above - and if it wasn't for Blitz Basic we would have never had Worms... The original Total Wormage was coded in none other than Blitz, so Acid/Vision definitely had their part to play in the history of modern video games.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Well it would get a thumb's up from me. I still play Guardian and Roadkill every now and then.

Anyone know where Simon Armstrong or Mark Sibley are now?

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:23 pm

A developer lookback on Acid Software would be ace!

For me, the best racer on the Amiga was Super Skidmarks. Wasted many hours playing that as it's just so addictive! :D

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:40 pm

mikeb wrote:Well it would get a thumb's up from me. I still play Guardian and Roadkill every now and then.

Anyone know where Simon Armstrong or Mark Sibley are now?
Mark Sibly is, at least as far as i can tell, still involved with Blitz Research, so http://www.blitzbasic.com is a starting point and, if you're a registered Blitz user (twice in fact, i have registrations for Blitz 2D and Blitz Max) like what i am, you can search the forum and find a profile... in other words, if any of the RG staff bunnies want an email address and it's not easy to find without the search, i'll send what their forum has. =-)

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:51 pm

I already emailed Mark about this so expect to see something in the future... if Darran lets me chase it up. ;)

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:03 am

Wow! Thanks for your input guys :)
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:47 pm

I loved AMOS on the Amiga, and still love Blitz3D (yet to convert to BlitzMax, kind of got sidetracked by python and pygame) but an interview with Mark Sibly or developer look back would be excellent.

Thumbs up from me!!