The Hardest Games Ever!

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:21 am

JD! wrote:Wolverine: Admantium Rage on the Mega Drive. That thing drove me insane!
Snes one ain't much better, its the one game I put a huge effort to finish only to lose the cartridge and never find it again! I think I was only about 2 levels off the end of the game but damn they sure made it as hard as possible to get anywhere in that game!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Carl

Post by Carl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:07 am

pottyboy wrote:
Carl wrote:One springs right to the front of the head, T2 (terminator 2) for the mega drive my *** i can`t complete that game to save my life, i get stuck on the same level all the time.i`ve had it for like 12 yrs or more and get stuck on the same part. :lol:
Is that the shooting one or the platform one?
shooting one, though the platform(T1) is good.It`s the bit where your in the truck and youhave the robots and plane/helicopter shootiong at ya.

djjohnmerry

Post by djjohnmerry » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:08 am

What about SUPERGRAN? on the C16 was this possible?
Trying to make the Internet a better place to live :-)

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:42 am

I can't believe you'd mention T2 (MD) in a thread about the hardest games ever! :shock: This game is pips in two player! The harderst part is deciding who gets to blast the metal bast into the forge at the end. :lol:
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

carmel1

Post by carmel1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:33 am

Electraglide...A8 version (impossible to complete without cheating)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:57 pm

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Fred83 wrote:The easiest boss ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUNLh2YF9Q
The Leader never really was into the physical stuff. :D
Splink!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:54 am

I always found Taz-Mania on the megadrive bloody hard. It felt like the controls were covered in treacle.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:48 am

Fred83 wrote:The easiest boss ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUNLh2YF9Q
I still remember thinking "was that it" several times after beating Leader, thought something was wrong with my game! I read somewhere that he gets stronger on harder difficulties but I never did bother checking that out.

Also, even easier than The Leader:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBkuAin3Bcg
He was also a pushover in the first EWJ game, literally you just pushed his bowl over to defeat him!

And a game that is actually hard as hell would be Dragons Lair for the Nes. You have to commit the whole game to memory to complete it!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

NecroticSoul

Post by NecroticSoul » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm surprised to see so many people citing Ghouls 'n' Ghosts... I've always found it to be a walk in the park compared with the original arcade version of Ghosts 'n' Goblins. That final ascent up the tower is absolutely harrowing!

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:28 am

Oh, some are just mad...

Knight Rider (NES) - can't even get past the first level. But that could also be because it's really really unplayable and crap.

Batman (NES) - lovely game. But even with a Game Genie I can't finish it.

Super Hunchback (Gameboy) - even with a Game Genie I can't finish it. I think I got to level 5 without help but man what a tough game. Got it in Holland for just 39 guilders (games were about 100) on import, as NL's Nintendo releases were few and crap.

Bayou Billy (NES) - dreadful game. But so hard...

moshboy

Post by moshboy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Ghosts'n'Goblins definitely. Rick Dangerous was also frustratingly hard.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:12 pm

Any black label Cave shmups..

vince

Post by vince » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:48 pm

I remember playing Duke Nukem on the Playstation was quite tough. The first two levels were easy but from the third no matter what difficulty, there was enemies everywhere. The rocket launcher was a must have weapon if trouble was to be avoided.

Fifa 98 Road to World Cup (if I remember that was it's name) had a bug in it where it was almost impossible to beat certain teams. One of them was the VIRGIN ISLANDS. I didn't know they had a league never mind an international team. I only knew this because myself and mates were playing it against the computer to see who could score the most goals in a 20 minute match and we picked any team to play against the mighty Virgin Islands. None of us won. A month later in a magazine I bought there was an article saying it was bugged and you could return it for a refund but I didn't. It's still a classic night I won't forget. High school years were great when you had fake ID, it made the geeks more determined to be cool.
www.livescore.com

Check how badly your teams losing and how much mines winning. Thanks for the 2p.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:12 pm

Garies on the Megadrive is the spelling correct.. Impossible shoot em up with all robotic female enemies and bosses..

Any Razing game
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"