Pinball Machine Article?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:11 am

The cover of the latest issues says 'every games system covered', yet lists not one pinball table...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:06 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:The cover of the latest issues says 'every games system covered', yet lists not one pinball table...
Doesn't list board games either, nor dvd players!! :wink:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:24 pm

How about an article that covers the classic pinball computer games such as Pinball Dreams, Fantasies and Illusions?

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:13 am

Katzkatz wrote:How about an article that covers the classic pinball computer games such as Pinball Dreams, Fantasies and Illusions?
Issue 26 had a "Making of Pinball Dreams" feature and discussed the other titles. It's on the eMag...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:48 am

Sorry. I missed that one!

The5thAxis

Post by The5thAxis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:30 pm

Well I'm definitely FOR pinball videogame coverage (less for pinball TABLE coverage).

I had Pinball Dreams in the early nineties for my PC - initially one table was given free with a PC Format cover disk - and I was hooked. I spent more time on that than Monkey Island II for god's sake!

Later on I owned and loved 'The Web' on my PS1 and 'Judge Dredd' on the PC, both of which are cracking examples of good video games.

So a big yes to Pinball video game coverage, but a firm no to Pinball Table coverage.

telengard

Post by telengard » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:00 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Pinball machines have nothing to do with our part of the gaming world and using any space in the magazine to cover them is not only a boring waste of space but another intresting article has to be left out to put this junk in.

The only thing that might be interesting is a round up of the pinball machines that were based on a video game, but only a page and only near the end of the mag to fill up space and only with more pictures than words.
I disagree. Arcades back in the late 80s consisted of two types of games; video arcade games and pinball machines. IMO they are classic games. They aren't necessarily video games, but they are classic games nonetheless. They are also retro. Some even had a slight video component in an attempt to compete. They don't seem out of place at all to me. In fact some of the pinball machines from that era give video games a run for their money, like Black Knight 2000.

I guess everyone's taste is different. The japanese/import game sections bore me to tears but for some people it's like sliced bread.

I'm looking *very* forward to the pinball article.

~telengard
My mame cabinet and 8 bit gaming room:
http://home.comcast.net/~bsturk/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:13 am

telengard wrote:Arcades back in the late 80s consisted of two types of games; video arcade games and fruit machines.
Corrected. If we're judging worth by prevalance, there was only 1 pinball table in the 3 arcades I used as a kid, a tatty old Playboy. No end of fruit machines, including a whole slew of video ones by the late 80s.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

telengard

Post by telengard » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:04 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
telengard wrote:Arcades back in the late 80s consisted of two types of games; video arcade games and fruit machines.
Corrected. If we're judging worth by prevalance, there was only 1 pinball table in the 3 arcades I used as a kid, a tatty old Playboy. No end of fruit machines, including a whole slew of video ones by the late 80s.
Must be a regional thing. I don't even know what a fruit machine is. In the US it was arcade games and pinball.

~telengard
My mame cabinet and 8 bit gaming room:
http://home.comcast.net/~bsturk/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:38 am

Ah, I forgot you're in the US. Pinball didn't have anywhere near the saturation in the UK as it did over there, though it was popular.

A fruit machine is a slot machine to you, a one armed bandit. Colloquially named a fruit machine due to the predominance of systems featuring fruit as symbols on their reels (cherries, melon slices, lemons and grapes being typical, with a gold bar commonly offering the top payout if you can match it across all reels).

The slot machine arcades used to also house mechanical games machines (wire controlled aircraft, slot racing gambling machines, sometimes even remote controlled boats in a small pool [a favourite of mine] or cars in a glass case), then when 'videos' were introduced they started creeping in. Initially just the odd Gun Fight or Fire Truck or other early monochrome machine, but by the early 80s vids dominated and fruities got pushed to a much smaller floor space. With the death of arcades in the 90s, we're now back to predominantly gambling arcades with just a few videogames here.

driver695

Post by driver695 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:20 am

I just posted re. Pinball earlier today:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 9&start=15
I gotta say that PB is defo part of Retro Gaming.

My Retro Gaming perspective is that of the Arcade - and the Arcade contained pinballs. Eugene Jarvis and Larry De Mar designed pinballs before Defender, Robotron, etc. Pinball can be emulated really quite well on todays PC's.

Gotta say I liked how this particular topic got all the console fanboys so riled :lol:

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:08 am

So if someone was to do a Making Of for a classic pinball table - say the biggest selling one of all time - which I think would be really quite interesting - would they get lynched? ;)

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:49 am

They aren't videogames, but they're still a part of gaming's history, and I think should merit inclusion occasionally.

Some of the more elaborate tables were works of art, featuring very complex mechanics that eclipsed their videogame rivals at the time and many did feature a limited amount of interaction in common with videogames (via the score panel which often included bonus and skill games seperate from the main table). Star Wars being one particularly good example.

I don't think they were significant enough over here to warrant regular features and things but they are certainly viable as something that should be considered as relevant content in the context of Retro Gaming on the rare occasions they might be considered for inclusion in the mag.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

driver695

Pinball Info for those interested...

Post by driver695 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:35 pm

Anyone wanting to find out more about pinball could do worse than heading off to http://www.marvin3m.com/topcast - or searching for Topcast under podcasts in iTunes.

Some great in depth interviews with some of the top designers/programmers - inc. Eugene Jarvis, Larry De Mar & George Gomez

George was the designer Williams innovative, but cancelled, Pinball 2000 concept - which was an attempted crossover between video gaming and pinball. It used a Pepper's Ghost type mirror to create the illusion of animated grpahics appearing 'on' the playfield. Well worth checking out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinball_2000

Before that in the early '80's he was the designer/programmer for the arcade game Spyhunterat Midway - and *trivia warning* - the designer of the Gorf joystick [his name is hidden in the black & red chequered insert].

Show well worth a listen if into pinball.

Carl

Post by Carl » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:17 pm

i`d be interested in a pinball section as i ain`t got one but want to get one but can`t afford the grand for it :`-(