Pinball Machine Article?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:58 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There's a pinball themed article in the next edition of the magazine.
Yes...., but that could merely be an article with pinbally pictures lining the sides of the pages!

Being a cynical ("bar steward"-Ed) I'm going to hazard a guess that we're looking at video game pinballs, like Pinball Dreams, Fantasies, Illusions, et al.
Mind you, I also like stirring the pot a bit, so to speak. So, when the next issue comes out, PLEASE feel free to "stick it to me" if I'm wrong.

Which I hope I am!

Besides, there is NO comparison between flipping off a pinball machine that has just screwed you, and a video game killing you off.
I think it has to do with the fact that unless the pinball machine is in totally pants condition, the loss of your ball also has something to do with you clocking the shabs, however slightly.

I couldn't agree with you more, Tellah. I mean, isn't there enough Retro love to go around to include Pinballs, surely cousins to our mighty video games?

So um, while we're here, anyone want to list some of their favourite pinball machines, both played and wanting to play?

My favs:
Played: Spiderman(movie edition), Pinbot, The Machine-Bride of Pinbot, Lord Of The Rings, Black Knight 2000, Centaur(("clucking"-Ed) fantastic artwork).

Want to play:Original Spiderman, Space Invaders, Black Hole ( I was trying to repair one at my work but the damn thing just didn't want to work properly AND it zapped me, leading to my jerking my arm out minus nearly half the skin on the top of it.("Brother-plucker"-Ed)), Family Guy.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm quite looking forward to this article - something slightly different and I've always had a soft spot for pinball.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:05 am

NorthWay wrote:Since "Retro Gamer" is not "Retro Computing" (as have been pointed out to me), when did "Retro Gamer" become "Retro Videogamer"?
I agree, I’ve banged on about an article on electro-mechanical games before. These were the first screen based games that I remember plying in the arcades (yes I am that old), so I would be interested in finding more about them and the people who made them.

By the way, what are those Japanese machines where you shoot lots of little metal balls up into a pin board type of thing all about then?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:07 am

GarryG wrote:By the way, what are those Japanese machines where you shoot lots of little metal balls up into a pin board type of thing all about then?
Pachinko?

High score game. Simple as that. Like basic pinball, except with less control.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:30 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There's a pinball themed article in the next edition of the magazine.
Any mention of PinMAME? Great emulator. You are able to play your favourite tables on your PC.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:18 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
GarryG wrote:By the way, what are those Japanese machines where you shoot lots of little metal balls up into a pin board type of thing all about then?
Pachinko?

High score game. Simple as that. Like basic pinball, except with less control.
So it's basically an electro-mechanical arcade game with-balls then?

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:59 am

Pachinko is basically a upright table with pins and ramps that you fire balls up and along and you try to get them to go into different holes for different points. VERY similar to ANCIENT pinball and indeed the father of pinball, Bagatelle. Except with holes, and electronics. THis old mini golf place I used to go to had a Pachinko machine that only took 2 cent pieces, which were phased out of our currency here in Aus in the early to mid 80's. So the owner would have had around 200 bucks in two cent pieces. Some pachinkos are like slots, in that if you get the right hole, or the right score, you can get your money back and/or make more money.

VERY addictive game in japan I've heard.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:16 pm

So it's the modern-day Jap equivalent of slot machines, except it's based on the ancient /original form of flipper-less pinball machines.

See that was interesting...

We need an article covering, interesting, electro-mechanical stuff through the years!!

merman

Post by merman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:40 am

GarryG wrote:So it's the modern-day Jap equivalent of slot machines, except it's based on the ancient /original form of flipper-less pinball machines.

See that was interesting...

We need an article covering, interesting, electro-mechanical stuff through the years!!
Actually, pachinko has been around for many years. In the last few years it's undergone a steep decline in favour of home consoles and other games.

(In most pachinko parlours, you buy a set amount of balls to put into the machine. Getting them in the right slots in the machine earns you more balls. At the end of a session you trade the balls in for money or prizes... although here there was a catch. Technically, gambling is illegal in Japan so the actual exchange is in two parts. First of all you swap the balls for a token of some kind, and then you went to a separate room or a nearby shop to exchange the tokens for the prize/money.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachinko
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:29 pm

Hey, I've just been playing around with Visual Pinball and I have to say that it's pretty damn cool.

But....Have any of you played "Future Pinball"? Holy crap its not half bad. And Australian Made :lol:
Seriously, I'm tossing up whether the artwork is drawn or whether I'm looking at a photo of the table. It really is supremely awesome. About 13 different camera views, including a Moon Patrol upright cab in one corner of the room and a Donkey Kong cocktail in the other.
Totally go and check it out.
BTW, I've got NOTHING to do with development or anything. Not plugging it, just saying anyone who even remotely likes Pinball should check it out.
Oh yeah, both Visual and Future Pinball are also editors, so you can make your own Pinball Table.
Theres a rather nice Bubble Bobble one out there, and I'm in the process of making a Transformers Pinball.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:37 am

Pinball machines have nothing to do with our part of the gaming world and using any space in the magazine to cover them is not only a boring waste of space but another intresting article has to be left out to put this junk in.

The only thing that might be interesting is a round up of the pinball machines that were based on a video game, but only a page and only near the end of the mag to fill up space and only with more pictures than words.

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:06 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Pinball machines have nothing to do with our part of the gaming world and using any space in the magazine to cover them is not only a boring waste of space but another intresting article has to be left out to put this junk in.

The only thing that might be interesting is a round up of the pinball machines that were based on a video game, but only a page and only near the end of the mag to fill up space and only with more pictures than words.
If it weren't for pinball machines propping up the pay to play industry for so many years, you wouldn't have video games. They're as much a part of retro gaming as anything else (unless your entire concept of "retro gaming" is 1980 onwards, which is pretty much exclusively video.)
Last edited by Nitters on Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:07 am

Yeah, shut up, Pinball machines rule.

I put a very snotty letter into the "suggestions box" in the local mall recently, complaining that "shopping today has become a thankless and dismal affair" since they removed the pinball machine (Jurassic Park Lost World) from their "entertainment area".

In English, which might explain why I've not had any reply yet, haha!

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:13 am

Yeah, a pinball article would be great! :roll:

And maybe an article on how coins are made.
Video games & pinball need money eh?

Or maybe another article that has some vague
connection to retro gaming. ie skipping, hula hoops.............

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:39 am

Gets the thumbs up from me. I'm about to make my first foray into pinball machines (will be getting a couple for the new games room) and some coverage on good ones would be helpful.

I think they are viable content for a feature in the mag, what with them being a prominent feature in arcades for years, the fact they don't fall into the conventional videogames category doesn't mean they should be excluded from the 'Retro' gaming cannon. Many of them included graphics, mini games, and other features, and for a long time the sight and sound of them was an integral part of the ambience we remember from old school arcades.

They even have PC based emulators (VPinMame and the excellent Future pinball).
Last edited by FatTrucker on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.