Street Fighter Zero 3

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fred83

Street Fighter Zero 3

Post by Fred83 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:06 pm

Says on wikipedia that sega saturn version of street fighter alpha 3 is better than one on ps2 anthology.is this true?
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:27 am

I played both extensively a few weekends back and didn't notice any difference.

I was under the influence of Jack Daniels though, so I wouldn't really take my opinion as gospel.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:22 am

The Last Ginja wrote:I played both extensively a few weekends back and didn't notice any difference.

I was under the influence of Jack Daniels though, so I wouldn't really take my opinion as gospel.
And I beat him, extensively. 8)

Although I was under the influence of Satan.
that sega saturn version of street fighter alpha 3 is better than one on ps2 antology
I liked the colour one better :lol:
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:23 pm

Smurph wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:I played both extensively a few weekends back and didn't notice any difference.

And I beat him, extensively. 8)

Although I was under the influence of Satan.
that sega saturn version of street fighter alpha 3 is better than one on ps2 antology
I liked the colour one better :lol:
I nearly took you in the semi final!!! nearly.

Yes, colour is good. Did we not also play the DC version after I remembered I had it with me?

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:10 pm

Aye, but the pads aren't a patch on the Saturn ones. Shame.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:17 pm

Until Alpha Anthology/Fighters Generation came out, Sega Saturn was the home port of choice for Zero 3. Even though the loading wasn't entirely optimized, it still was very accurate. The sound is a bit dull too. The PS2 compliation is arcade perfect and comes with varying versions and settings, unlike Saturn. Not only, but there's only one point of loading and that's when you select game. If only I had one of those elusive official Saturn PS2 pads from Japan then I could really enjoy my Fighters Generation version. Until then MAME with USB Saturn pad and Saturn itself will suffice.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:31 am

I'm always reading about how the Dreamcast version of Alpha 3 was somewhat compromised but in what ways is it inferior? Also out of interest port wise where does the PSP version of Alpha 3 stack up in comparison to the other ports. With the D Pad mod it's a great portable version and I personally like the proper arcade mode and tag matches.

Never the less I still love the Dreamcast version of Alpha 3, I've spent many hundreds of hours between that and the PSOne version back in the day
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:54 am

The Saturn version is the way to go (though it needs the 4MB RAM cart)

The Dreamcast conversion did'nt really seem to be quite as good IMO.

Still prefer Alpha 2 though to be honest, none of the new Alpha 3 characters really clicked with me.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 am

ShadowMan wrote:I'm always reading about how the Dreamcast version of Alpha 3 was somewhat compromised but in what ways is it inferior?
V-ism timing is messed up, smaller sprites, lower sound quality, and many of the games properties are tweaked making it (for competitive play) a bit unplayable compared to the rest. I believe it could be one or both iterations of Z/A3 on Dreamcast that removed crouch cancelling (important for V-ism) and this is a big deterrent for most players. (SFZ3U the NAOMI game has crouch cancelling removed and I'm just not sure if it's ported to both FMS and normal SFZ/A3 on DC)

PSP, well, anyone who is serious wouldn't consider a handheld version. I know very little on Z/A3 DU but I wager it's not the best choice out there.

Sega Saturn is presented in true low-res, like the CPSII original, which, compared to the PS2 AA/FG pack is about the only pro in this day and age. The PS2 games are sadly stretched and look a bit worse for wear in higher quality video inputs. Both of these games offers glitch fixes, although ultimately you're limited to what you get with Saturn as opposed to being able to modify many values to set Z/A3 to your liking on PS2.

Again, I'd recommend PS2 as the port to go for, but only slightly as for me, it's ideal to use a Saturn pad, which is hard to find for PS2. Then again, I have a USB Saturn pad and I have 'zero' complaints about MAME. At least there you can challenge online with the most authentic version around.
Last edited by Limbrooke on Fri May 16, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:28 am

Limbrooke wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:I'm always reading about how the Dreamcast version of Alpha 3 was somewhat compromised but in what ways is it inferior?
V-ism timing is messed up, smaller sprites, lower sound quality, and many of the games properties are tweaked making it (for competitive play) a bit unplayable compared to the rest. I believe it could be one or both iterations of Z/A3 on Dreamcast that removed crouch cancelling (important for V-ism) and this is a big deterent for most players.

PSP, well, anyone who is serious wouldn't consider a handheld version. I know very little on Z/A3 DU but I wager it's not the best choice out there.

Sega Saturn is presented in true low-res, like the CPSII original, which, compared to the PS2 AA/FG pack is about the only pro in this day and age. The PS2 games are sadly stretched and look a bit worse for wear in higher quality video inputs. Both of these games offers glitch fixes, although ultimately you're limited to what you get with Saturn as opposed to being able to modify many values to set Z/A3 to your liking on PS2.

Again, I'd recommend PS2 as the port to go for, but only slightly as for me, it's ideal to use a Saturn pad, which is hard to find for PS2. Then again, I have a USB Saturn pad and I have 'zero' complaints about MAME. At least there you can challenge online with the most authentic version around.
Ah, the V-ism timing explains all the negativety around the Dreamcast version, and also explains why I haven't noticed (Frankly, I suck using V-ism), might have to get the alpha pack one day (love all of the options to choose from). Shame about the graphics filters though to be honest I wonder why capcom stopped using them after the Saturn as the Dreamcast fighters all had related graphical issues.
Not that I cared, they all played fantastic!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:44 am

Sorry, I haven't played it on my Saturn, but...

The Dreamcast and PS1 version is Street Fighter Alpha 3 Saikyo Dojo, which has a sweet custom-character mode called World Tour and multi-character Dramatic Battles. Saikyo Dojo is based on the Japanese-only arcade game Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper which has extra characters and I believe was based on the Naomi board instead of the CPS2. The Dreamcast version is arcade perfect and I believe it uses real transparencies instead of the dithering found in the CPS2 version. The PS1 game is adequate.

It's also worth mentioning that the Dreamcast version is awful to play unless you have an ascii arcade pad or some other alternative controller. The DC controller is one of my least favorite things ever, especially for this kind of game.

The PS2 version is a straight port of the Street Fighter Alpha 3 CPS2 arcade game, but Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper is unlockable. It has the extra characters found in Upper but it doesn't have the cool game modes, just arcade and versus.

Oddly, the best version of SFA3 is the PSP version, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max. Of course, the control sucks, but it is based on Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper (japan) so it has 3 more characters, and it has all of the modes from Saikyo Dojo and more. It is a lot of SFA3, and it is great.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:13 am

bigfreakypossum wrote:Sorry, I haven't played it on my Saturn, but...

The Dreamcast and PS1 version is Street Fighter Alpha 3 Saikyo Dojo, which has a sweet custom-character mode called World Tour and multi-character Dramatic Battles. Saikyo Dojo is based on the Japanese-only arcade game Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper which has extra characters and I believe was based on the Naomi board instead of the CPS2. The Dreamcast version is arcade perfect and I believe it uses real transparencies instead of the dithering found in the CPS2 version. The PS1 game is adequate.

It's also worth mentioning that the Dreamcast version is awful to play unless you have an ascii arcade pad or some other alternative controller. The DC controller is one of my least favorite things ever, especially for this kind of game.

The PS2 version is a straight port of the Street Fighter Alpha 3 CPS2 arcade game, but Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper is unlockable. It has the extra characters found in Upper but it doesn't have the cool game modes, just arcade and versus.

Oddly, the best version of SFA3 is the PSP version, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max. Of course, the control sucks, but it is based on Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper (japan) so it has 3 more characters, and it has all of the modes from Saikyo Dojo and more. It is a lot of SFA3, and it is great.
Just to correct a couple of your points, Saikyo Dojo was the subtitle for the Dreamcast version only, not the Playstation version (to my knowledge), and featured a completely different version of world tour mode compared to previous versions.
Also the Arcade version of Upper came after the console versions, not before.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:57 pm

bigfreakypossum wrote:Sorry, I haven't played it on my Saturn, but...

The Dreamcast version is Street Fighter Alpha 3 Saikyo Dojo, which (like PS1) has a sweet custom-character mode called World Tour and multi-character Dramatic Battles.
Sega Saturn has all these features too. And while Dreamcast has basically no loading at all, what I've explained below makes the 1/2 optimized loading on Saturn the better version.
bigfreakypossum wrote:Saikyo Dojo is based on the Japanese-only arcade game Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper which has extra characters and I believe was based on the Naomi board instead of the CPS2.
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper is the Japan only NAOMI revision of the CPSII game. Saikyo Dojo (the Dreamcast game) is not based on Upper as it came out a few years before it's appearance in the arcades. SFZ3 For Matching Service, which came out around the same time as Upper could be based off it. Since there is so little information on this, nobody I've spoke with has said for sure.
bigfreakypossum wrote:The Dreamcast version is arcade perfect and I believe it uses real transparencies instead of the dithering found in the CPS2 version. The PS1 game is adequate.
As mentioned, there are several problems with the DC game, most notably is the timing regarding V-ism, which essentially kills the game for any serious competition. The sprites are also much smaller and from I recall it's not displayed in low-res like Saturn, but I could be wrong it's been a while since I've played it myself. PS1 is alright, but I find there's too much in-between loading and the colours look a bit dull last time I checked. In the 32bit era Saturn was the best home port, bar none.
bigfreakypossum wrote:It's also worth mentioning that the Dreamcast version is awful to play unless you have an ascii arcade pad or some other alternative controller. The DC controller is one of my least favorite things ever, especially for this kind of game.
Of course, unless you're playing a Neo-Geo port or MVC2, the Dreamcast pad isn't your best option. Ascii Pads are getting rarer these days and you'll have to fork out good change to land one.
bigfreakypossum wrote:The PS2 version is a straight port of the Street Fighter Alpha 3 CPS2 arcade game, but Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper is unlockable. It has the extra characters found in Upper but it doesn't have the cool game modes, just arcade and versus.

A straight port is a bad thing? I myself could care less about bonus modes and whatnot like World Tour, if I can play versus and or straight arcade then it's good with me. Besides, apart from the non-low-res aspect there's absolutely nothing wrong with PS2. By the way, Upper in the arcade was just that, Arcade mode and nothing else, just like it's found on the PS2.

As far as PSP being the best, well, you are entitled to your opinion but apart from the clunky controls nobody would seriously consider a handheld version to be the best among the rest. Besides, there are CPSII emulators for PSP now so the real SFZ/A3 can be played noprblm.
Geez, another multi-quote post...

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:15 am

Limbrooke wrote:
bigfreakypossum wrote:Saikyo Dojo is based on the Japanese-only arcade game Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper which has extra characters and I believe was based on the Naomi board instead of the CPS2.
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper is the Japan only NAOMI revision of the CPSII game. Saikyo Dojo (the Dreamcast game) is not based on Upper as it came out a few years before it's appearance in the arcades. SFZ3 For Matching Service, which came out around the same time as Upper could be based off it. Since there is so little information on this, nobody I've spoke with has said for sure.
I guess I was mislead by the fact that the NAOMI board basicly is a Dreamcast, and I find it surprising that the extra characters (T Hawk, Deejay, etc.) appeared first on consoles and then in an arcade revision.
Limbrooke wrote: As mentioned, there are several problems with the DC game, most notably is the timing regarding V-ism, which essentially kills the game for any serious competition. The sprites are also much smaller and from I recall it's not displayed in low-res like Saturn, but I could be wrong it's been a while since I've played it myself. PS1 is alright, but I find there's too much in-between loading and the colours look a bit dull last time I checked. In the 32bit era Saturn was the best home port, bar none.
No matter how you slice it though, the Dreamcast version has no excuse for not being arcade-perfect. I've never played it long enough to notice anything about it either way, I don't have an ascii pad.

There are plenty of things I could rip on about the PS1 version, it's missing a lot of frames of animation, the load times suck, etc. But to its credit, the controls are sharp (a Capcom Street Fighter pad helps or a Namco Arcade stick are good choices) and you can seriously reduce load time by turning off the between-stages animation in the options menu, which is nice. The PS1 is severely disadvantaged next to a Saturn in this department -- Saturn has more memory for 2D graphics and that's not even counting the RAM cart.
Limbrooke wrote: Of course, unless you're playing a Neo-Geo port or MVC2, the Dreamcast pad isn't your best option. Ascii Pads are getting rarer these days and you'll have to fork out good change to land one.
Even beyond the whole using-a-trigger-for-a-button thing, which is awful, the Dreamcast controller is anti-ergonomic. I seriously thought my hands were going to have some sort of permanent damage during the period of time when I was addicted to Crazy Taxi.
Limbrooke wrote: A straight port is a bad thing? I myself could care less about bonus modes and whatnot like World Tour, if I can play versus and or straight arcade then it's good with me. Besides, apart from the non-low-res aspect there's absolutely nothing wrong with PS2. By the way, Upper in the arcade was just that, Arcade mode and nothing else, just like it's found on the PS2.
I certainly wouldn't say a straight port is a bad thing, honestly I mostly play it on MAME, can't get any straighter than that. But if you give me two arcade perfect copies of any fighter, and one of them has some extra game modes that I can enjoy when I don't have an opponent, I'm going to go for the extra bells and whistles.

By low-res and non low-res, I assume you mean with or without filtering? I think almost all people would prefer without, but for some reason I see that filtering often. I want to see every single pixel displayed as sharply as possible on my screen. I was really disappointed to see that SF2' on Xbox Live arcade uses bilinear filtering, it is yucky looking. Honestly on a standard def tv I could never tell the difference but now that I've got hd i can really see it.

Some games gave you the option, like you could hold down on a certain but on SF3:Third Strike on the DC as it was starting up and it would disable bilinear filtering.
Limbrooke wrote: As far as PSP being the best, well, you are entitled to your opinion but apart from the clunky controls nobody would seriously consider a handheld version to be the best among the rest. Besides, there are CPSII emulators for PSP now so the real SFZ/A3 can be played noprblm.
Geez, another multi-quote post...
I mean that the PSP is the best in terms of its content and presentation combined with its arcade-perfectness. It's not the best gameplay experience, the controls make sure of that.

But.... what do you mean aside from the controls? Imagine if you will, and this requires a lot of imagination, that the controls were somehow great. Like you had magically hacked it to use a Sega Saturn pad or a hotrod arcade panel or something, and you have two people with a PSP, so you can play two player. Is it the size of the screen that bothers you?

Okay, so imagine one of the two players has a PSP slim and he's using the video out and you have your magical non-sucky controls. Now how would you not seriously consider it a real version of SFA3? If you were playing that, you would be playing the best version of sfa3 period. Consider the following:

-the resolution is arcade perfect and it doesn't use bilinear filtering
-it is not missing one frame of animation from the characters or background
-it has extra characters. and they aren't too bad.
-it has extra game modes. some of them are fun

Although the PSP CPS2 emulator is a programming marvel, it doesn't work as well as you would hope. Not knocking ngemu he is a talented programmer. But the fact is, the PSP doesn't have enough memory to emulate CPS2 games without swapping a page file on the memory stick. While the author has implemented some nifty caching tricks to make it work better, it will never deliver as smooth of an experience as Capcom's port.

Also, you can't play 2 player on the emulator yet as far as I know, so that pretty much kills any comparison. That's pretty much the most important feature.

retrakill

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Post by retrakill » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:03 am

The best version of this game is teh PS version in my opinion, The woprld topur mode alone makes it worth hunting. If you've got a decent fighting game pad or arcade stick, its definetly better than the PS2 version.