Technical Marvels!

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Starlight

Technical Marvels!

Post by Starlight » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:15 am

Hello RetroGamer!

New to these suggestions. :)

Anyway, I am unsure whether I have seen an article that looks into certain games that push the limits of each hardware via software/hardware trickery, Chiptune Tricks to expand the sound limitations or perhaps even visual effects that otherwise wouldn't be possible on the native hardware.

What do you say fellow members? Would you like to see an article on games that literally go 200% on the hardware that they are on? :)
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

The Laird

Re: Technical Marvels!

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 am

Starlight wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:15 am
Hello RetroGamer!

Anyway, I am unsure whether I have seen an article that looks into certain games that push the limits of each hardware via software/hardware trickery, Chiptune Tricks to expand the sound limitations or perhaps even visual effects that otherwise wouldn't be possible on the native hardware.

What do you say fellow members? Would you like to see an article on games that literally go 200% on the hardware that they are on? :)
So, just like the Pushing The Limits articles they do then? :wink:

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:20 am

The Laird wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 am
Starlight wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:15 am
Hello RetroGamer!

So, just like the Pushing The Limits articles they do then? :wink:
Ah damn. I recall seeing those. Do they do them monthly or now and again? :S

I love seeing how different consoles and PCs work with the current article on the BBC Micro being the latest one. (I am too young to know of the Micro but I like to learn :))
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

The Atari 2600 pushed the limits of the console 200% with tricks n stuff, for sure.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:57 am

Yes some programmers used such ingenious techniques, and they kind of had to back in the day. I remember reading only a few days ago - and have forgotten which programmer and system it was - but they used all the monitor ram up to speed up the game.. or get more sprites or something, was it the C64? Geez I have a rotten memory. Then you had the C64 where they would utilise the outer blue screen to effect.. lots of these amazing tricks. But is it pushing beyond the systems limits or just being clever.. I have no idea. :D

But an interesting topic nonetheless.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu May 03, 2018 9:27 am

The C= 64 has 3 "general" tricks that can be done on other machines
- parallax scrolling a la Hawkeye by showing (multiple) character sets, (each) having multiple version with prescrolled backgrounds
- massive amounts of object animation a la Gauntlet by cycling through character sets
- fast filled 3D like Stuntcar Racer by filling in 8x8 squares; setting background colour per character area

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:33 pm

I'd like to see more of these types of articles with maybe some explanation from the programmers. I think sometimes these kind of articles (not necessarily in Retro Gamer) miss the point and include games that use custom chips e.g Mario Bros 3, Starfox, Virtua Racing (MD) etc.The irony is that these games aren't usually even pushing the custom chips that hard!

A great one I can think of is Duke Nukem 3D on the Megadrive. How was that even possible? Also games like Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga etc. Also some of the NGDevteam games on the Neo Geo look like the bullet-hell schmups you see on systems 20 times as powerful.