How to play these chip tunes?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Arnie

How to play these chip tunes?

Post by Arnie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi all,
I'm new here and would like to ask a question about a problem that's been bugging me for a while. I'm a big fan of retro gaming and computers mainly of the 80's and early 90's, 8 and 16 bit years. As well as collecting a small amount of hardware from these times and playing with emulators I also have a fascination with the music created with these machines its nice to hear what they were all capable of. The Commodore 64 SID chip is probably the most loved by many and the size of HVSC is a testament to this.
To that end I have tried to seek out similar collections for other chips such as ASMA for the Atari pokey and AYGOR for all things Spectrum and Amstrad. Its files in the last collection I'm having trouble playing. All the spectrum and Amstrad .AY files play fine but this collection also contains some file in the same .AY format but using the SAA1099 sound chip either from the Sam Coupe or a spectrum add on. The players I have load the files but playback is silent even if they can play Sam Coupe music in .COP format.
So does anyone here know of a music player that can break the silence with these files preferably for Linux or even AmigaOS4?

Arnie

Re: How to play these chip tunes?

Post by Arnie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:28 pm

I guess you good folk are as stumped as me on this one :? .

I've gone through the entire AYGOR collection now, well apart from the above SAA files and have been rather surprised to what some of these guys have got out of the humble 48k beeper. I knew of many multi channel tunes but I have never heard near SID quality before, truly remarkable. Its a real shame the poor processor had to put so much effort in to it as games with that sort of music playing would have made the AY chip obsolete.

Its good to see (hear) other machines other that greats like the C64 really pushed beyond what was thought possible in the sound department, what do you think :?: