RGB cable from eBay?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

liam_abrown

RGB cable from eBay?

Post by liam_abrown » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 am

Would there be much difference between a PS1 RGB scart off eBay and the ones sold on retro gaming cables site which cost 4 times more?

RetroBob

Re: RGB cable from eBay?

Post by RetroBob » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 am

liam_abrown wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 am
Would there be much difference between a PS1 RGB scart off eBay and the ones sold on retro gaming cables site which cost 4 times more?
Potentially yes - depends what they've made it with.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Antiriad2097

Re: RGB cable from eBay?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Some of the 'RGB' SCART cables on ebay aren't really RGB, they're only composite. The more expensive ones tend to be fully wired to cope with both RGB and composite so will do whatever the telly can cope with. On the other hand, some cheap ones may be RGB only, not having the composite wired in the event you needed that for something.

I've known some cheap cables not work with certain tellies.

Cheap ones sometimes use bare minimum cables, thin with not much in the way of shielding. This can lead to interference on the display.

Build quality may not be so good on the cheap ones. Not a huge problem if it remains static, but if you often disconnect/reconnect your system, it may wear out sooner due to strain on the connections.

You could take a punt on one, but quality is not guaranteed. It will probably be fine, so depends whether you want to risk losing that money should you find it unsatisfactory.

I'm a cheapskate, so I'd risk it in the knowledge it could cost me more in the long run.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.