Areas of games you could never get past

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kebabinho

Areas of games you could never get past

Post by kebabinho » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:56 pm

A feature where readers could request help getting past a section of an old game that they could never get past?

for example in another thread I have discussed I have been unable to get past a section in an old BBC micro game, that on revisiting 20+ years later I still cant get past.

lupogtiboy

Re: Area's of games you could never get past

Post by lupogtiboy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:26 am

The shopping mall section on Bart vs The Space Mutants on the Amiga, there's a part where you have to jump on invisible blocks across what I remember being like lava? I never got past that and usually got fed-up by then hearing Bart screaming 'Eat My Shorts!' for the 90th time.....
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

its not a proper job, and you can never go too far

dextrovix

Post by dextrovix » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:35 am

Pretty much the entire Repton 2 at the time it was originally released on the BBC Micro. With no way to save progress without leaving the game loaded, the one use transporter rules that meant you could be stuck if you choose the wrong one at the wrong time, and no way to jump to sections with passwords like the original, it seemed whilst feeling slicker to be a step backwards.

I did complete it properly under emulation, as that allows save states and the chance to come back to it another day... ;)

trunky

Post by trunky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:16 pm

All of Manic Miner. Never had the patience.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Level 3 of Kung Fu Master.

Only got to it once, mind.

Level 2 was no joke either.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 pm

The big boss in Shinobi after the Helicopter boss was an absolute soul destroyer. I think it was Stage 3. Basically you were screwed if you did not have a good projectile weapon and even if you did, best of luck! Impossible for me on master system so I can only imagine how much more impossible it was in the arcades.

The Ice World boss in Psycho Fox was bloody impossible due to slipping all over the place and one hit and you're dead.

Power Strike - Level 3 where if you shot a certain enemy, it would blowup and leave behind a bullet to dodge. Not entertaining when the screen had about two dozens of the bastards at once.

Cloud Master - Made it once to the second level and I call that my greatest achievement in life as this game hated you to death!

All master system games from the depths of hell!!! Oh sorry, no religious topics in here......

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Indiana Jones and the last crusade on the Amiga, I'd get to the room in the library where you have to break the floor tiles, but could never suss out which tile I was meant to break, so never got any further.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:59 am

There was a bit on a shinobi type game - maybe one of the sequals. It involved a room of spinning buddhas where you had to quickly destroy columns of spinning buddhas, once you destroyed one then another would drop vertically making you basically run out of space and hitting you. Hated it.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:29 pm

yes, that's the first shinobi game. Hard as nails on master system and harder still at the arcade.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 pm

The swamp in the Curse of Sherwood. An old 8bit budget game.

RichL

Post by RichL » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 am

The beginning bit of Airwolf on the spectrum :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:20 am

RichL wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 am
This one comes up a lot, but the first few screens are very simple once you've sussed them. It just needs a combo of speed and accuracy. Get the pattern down and you'll do it every time.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:20 am
RichL wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 am
This one comes up a lot, but the first few screens are very simple once you've sussed them. It just needs a combo of speed and accuracy. Get the pattern down and you'll do it every time.
Yeah, the trick with the first wall is to move up and down while firing so that you shoot forwards rather than that at an angle. Do it quickly enough and you should be able to clear a path to fly through before it regenerates. You can get past the second wall by flying to the next screen and back again at a lower level, giving you just enough time to move downwards to the next screen. The good news is that that's all the regenerating walls you've got to face in the game.

The bad news is that the later screens are even more finicky, and the main challenges are dodging gun turrets and timing your passage through forcefields. It's a game that eventually succumbed to practice and repetition for me, but it's not one that I'd ever say I enjoyed much.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:09 am

*I spent a hell of a lot of my childhood time trying to work out the bit in Hitchhikers Guide where you have to get the babel fish. And you thought you were getting so close.. until you give up and decades later when you read the walkthrough and realised there were still even more steps you would have missed anyway.

*I always got to brown belt on IK+ but childhood nerves would get to me and I'd never achieve black belt. I've done it a number of times since, sometimes we *do* improve as gamers!

*Donkey Kong, I could never even get to the top of the first screen, re-took up the challenge last year and realised what a great game I'd been missing out on playing, persistence really pays off with that one.