Arcade hardware?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Tellah

Arcade hardware?

Post by Tellah » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:48 am

Is there scope for a regular arcade hardware focused feature?

Even if they were rarely exported, Sega, Taito, Capcom, Irem, Namco etc. all produced incredibly well engineered arcade cabinets... http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/List_of_Candy_Cabinets.
... and game hardware, such as the IREM M92, which powered games such as R-Type Leo, or the Capcom CPS... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System

To me, these boards and machines are the ultimate in retro gaming... but maybe it's too far away from the home computer / console users the mag is targeting?
Personally, I find it fascinating... and it's within anyone's reach to physically own these machines and boards these days.

NickThorpe

Re: Arcade hardware?

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:03 pm

We actually ran a series of Arcade Inspection features in the earlier days of the magazine, focusing on game hardware - the Sega Model 2, Capcom CPS-2, Taito F-series and SNK Neo Geo MVS. Although they're from before my time, I believe they weren't tremendously popular, hence their discontinuation.

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's a shame. I wonder if the renewed popularity in arcade history (unless I'm imagining it) could prompt a fresh look at the hardware in a new way? I'd love a magazine that covers retro arcade hardware.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:11 pm

I would also like to see that,.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 am

... and so would I. :mrgreen:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

driver695

Post by driver695 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Sokurah wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 am
... and so would I. :mrgreen:
Ditto

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:41 am

NickThorpe wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:03 pm
I believe they weren't tremendously popular, hence their discontinuation.
Where has this popularity info come from?

The forum is hardly representative of the readership as a whole.

Were there complaints about those articles not being interesting? Were there polls in the mag or here?

Given the right writer, they could be good. Doesn't need to focus on the hardware explicitly, some detail on the top and/or obscure games for the systems would round things out nicely to appeal to a more general audience beyond the hardware fans.

Personally, some nice pictures of the cabs from a few angles, some closeups of particular details like control layouts, some screen grabs from games, those would be appealing to me at the very least on a nostalgia level. Nothing quite like seeing a cab to ignite my interest in trying an old game.

There must be someone on Jamma+ who'd be up for it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Just a quick bump to see if opinion has changed on this. With the dwindling well of home systems to retroinspect, going back over arcade hardware could be large source of fascinating untapped content to focus on... This is just the Sega systems... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... tem_boards. Each has their own best / worst games, some with dedicated cabinets too. I'd buy a magazine that looked at each arcade system in turn... I can't see how it would be less popular than a retroinspection on Oric / Dragon 32 etc... Surely more people had more exposure + memories attached to... just for example... Sega System 16 games.