Article idea:The games of 2000AD

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Dreddonarrival

Article idea:The games of 2000AD

Post by Dreddonarrival » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:13 pm

It shouldn't of escaped your notice, but February 2017 marks the 40th anniversary of The Galaxy's Greatest Comic, 2000AD!

As well as spawning classic characters like Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Halo Jones, etc, etc, it has also inspired two Judge Dredd movies, as well as many games of varying quality!

From the poor Spectrum 48K/C64 Judge Dredd game and Nemesis The Warlock game on Amstrad CPC/Spectrum/C64 to the slightly more successful Judge Dredd movie tie-in on Megadrive/SNES all the way to the rather good Dredd Vs Death on PS2/XBOX/Gamecube and Rogue Trooper game, also on PS2/XBOX and Wii, a Pinball machine and an aborted Coin-op Judge Dredd game!

I think a related article would be of interest to retro gamers and Comic fans alike and be a fitting tribute to one of Britain's great creative and cultural success stories!

What say you guys?

merman

Re: Article idea:The games of 2000AD

Post by merman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:32 pm

A good idea, I'll pitch it...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Dreddonarrival

Post by Dreddonarrival » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:06 pm

merman wrote:A good idea, I'll pitch it...

Cheers merman!

If you need any help or info, give me a shout! :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:44 pm

Has potential, but Dredd Vs Death is terrible. I paid less than two quid for it and still felt conned. Rogue Trooper is good though.

Has there only been the early Speccy game based on Nemesis, or have there been more?

Or should I just wait for the article?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dreddonarrival

Post by Dreddonarrival » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Has potential, but Dredd Vs Death is terrible. I paid less than two quid for it and still felt conned. Rogue Trooper is good though.

Has there only been the early Speccy game based on Nemesis, or have there been more?

Or should I just wait for the article?
Oh I don't know I quote enjoyed Dredd Vs Death. Sure the mechanics were clunky and the game engine was showing its age even back in 2003, but there was a lot of fun blasting and arresting perps and it was great to see an authentic representation of Mega-City One in a video game.
I have it on the Gamecube and enjoyed it enough to complete it at any rate, but I agree that Rogue Trooper is a much more polished game.
Wouldn't mind a remaster of Dredd Vs Death from Rebellion, or even a GTA style open world Dredd game down the line!

As for Nemesis?
There's only the Spectrum/Amstrad/C64 that I know of, but there are some interesting 2000AD games that nearly came to fruition, including a Halo Jones and Judge Death game from Piranha that were canned when the company went bust.
Last edited by Dreddonarrival on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:35 pm

There was also a Strontium dog game by Quicksilva on the Speccy as well. Unfortunately it's drokking awful.

As the forums resident gamebook nerd, can I crowbar in a mention of the excellent Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106 gamebook on Steam, IOS and Android. Well written by someone who clearly knows Dredd, it's a lot of fun and should provide you with a top up to your levels of Thrill Power.

Dreddonarrival

Post by Dreddonarrival » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:30 pm

Treguard wrote:There was also a Strontium dog game by Quicksilva on the Speccy as well. Unfortunately it's drokking awful.

As the forums resident gamebook nerd, can I crowbar in a mention of the excellent Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106 gamebook on Steam, IOS and Android. Well written by someone who clearly knows Dredd, it's a lot of fun and should provide you with a top up to your levels of Thrill Power.
You're right Treguard, that gamebook is a lot of fun, with some great art!

If you're after a quick blast, Dredd Vs Zombies on IOS and android is good fun too and free!

There's also a top Judge Dredd pinball machine recreation by The Pinball Arcade downloadable on consoles, PC and IOS!

Give them a go! The mighty Tharg decrees it! :D

John Pannozzi

Post by John Pannozzi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 pm

I'm all for this.

Being a filthy Yank, I'm a noob when it comes to 2000 AD, and I'm not familiar with any 2000 AD-related games, aside from the Dredd ones.

theblazeuk

Post by theblazeuk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 am

I quite enjoyed Dredd Vs Death, though it was far from a classic it was decent enough and captured the aesthetic of the more madcap Dredd brilliantly. Plus the voice acting was superb. Like the Dark Judges stories in general though it did veer too far into a non-urban adventure.

Would love a DREDD game now that I think about it, though Karl Urban is no Toby Longworth in terms of vocal weight. Was probably a better casting choice for the movie tho! I loved Dredd vs Zombies on the mobile for a bit as well, along with the Countdown Sector 106 gamebook, though I think the latter suffered because I didn't feel so much like Dredd as any random Judge. Dredd doesn't die nearly so often.

Vaguely remember playing the Judge Dredd movie game on the SNES/Megadrive. Remember thinking it was a pretty dire game, even if my faculties were so nascent at the time that I still kind of enjoyed the movie.

Always surprises me we haven't seen more with the license as Rebellion have made some decent games until Sniper Elite became a reliable profit maker and doing lots of mobile market games. Which were good for what they were but quite limited. AvP (1st one not the dire newer one, which still walked all over Colonial Marines), Battlezone, The SImpsons Game, Rogue Trooper.... of course there's a lot of stinkers in there too. Rogue Warrior is sadly not a sequel to Rogue Trooper but one of the worst games ever.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 pm

Slaine is an interesting game with pretty neat graphics
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"