Selling on ebay

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

alistair_thomas

Selling on ebay

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:44 am

I'm after a little bit of friendly advice - I have decided to part with my old video games (for Dreamcast, Saturn, Gamecube, N.Gage and GBA) and have just set myself up an ebay account. Having not used ebay for a good 10+ years, I have no idea how to go about the listings. If anyone with experience could give me a few pointers in terms of starting prices etc. I would be very grateful :)

shinymcshine

Re: Selling on ebay

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:21 am

I'd been away from ebay for about 8 yrs, then listed an item a few months ago, quite quickly and easily using their Android app.

It's all pretty straightforward from what it use to be, IIRC you can even scan in the barcodes from items and it auto populates the fields.

What I hadn't accounted for though was quite how much you now seem to get charged in fees (no idea whether it had changed, or perhaps I use to just do smaller sales), but it seemed like I was charge 10% as a sellers fee, and was later invoiced to pay it separately, rather than it being deducted off the sale price.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Thank you. I signed up for an eBay and PayPal account and just used the app to list my first item, a trial run of sorts. I've decided I may as well try and sell all my old games that although I would love to keep them, I know they wouldn't get used and I've got my little man (1 year old on 1st September!) to think about :)

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/302043359183?_mwBanner=1

^ link to the listing for any feedback. Please advise if this is breaking forum rules, I'm not trying to advertise it here.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:24 pm

Well it would seem I've made a huge mistake already! I've just been listing some more items using the app, when I noticed one of the items had a 30 day period rather than 7 days. As I was looking into what I had done wrong, I had a notification saying my item had been bought, then I received a message from someone saying it's a shame I let it go at that price to a reseller.

I'm pretty sure I set it at Buy It Now for £0.99 rather than an auction start price of £0.99. I've sent a message to the buyer explaining the situation, asking to cancel the transaction and for their understanding so I guess I'll have to see what they say.

EDIT: Order cancelled - the buyer understood and requested the refund and seemed pretty good about it. Phew! I realise it could still ultimately go for 99p, but still :)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:31 pm

You have good pictures and low start auctions, low postage (perhaps too low for first class) - great work.

If any of these go for over £5 I would recommend sending them tracked since an unscrupulous buyer could claim they were never received and get their money back. I don't do it on everything, but it's worth the extra 90p, trust me!

Also, when you post these, since these are fairly flimsy PS1 cases, make sure you either send them in a cardboard box or add extra bubble wrap. Again, it's not that likely that they'll break but better to be safe than sorry, epecially as your account is new. Have a quick check that the box you use will still be counted as a small packet, measurements on post office website.

I really like using ebay's built in postage cost thing, once the buyer has paid you can generate the postage label, print and pay for postage and all you have to do is drop it at the post office where they scan it and give you the tracking number. You'll need your own scales and a ruler but it's really handy if you have tonnes of stuff as it otherwise takes ages in the queue. Might not be necessary as you only have 7 items, but thought I would let you know.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Thank you for the feedback, very much appreciated :)

I'm doing these as a trial of sorts before I start Listing other things. Any money made is going straight into savings so fingers crossed :)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:18 pm

RetroBob wrote:I really like using ebay's built in postage cost thing, once the buyer has paid you can generate the postage label, print and pay for postage and all you have to do is drop it at the post office where they scan it and give you the tracking number. You'll need your own scales and a ruler but it's really handy if you have tonnes of stuff as it otherwise takes ages in the queue. Might not be necessary as you only have 7 items, but thought I would let you know.
Do you have to pay for these labels? I've always avoided them for that reason...

Worth remembering also that the ebay fee is 10% of the final selling price + postage charge. This has always annoyed me because if you charge the exact postage then you will lose out but we have those sellers who used to make big profits from inflated postage to blame...I tend to build postage into my start price and advertise it as 'free' to keep things simpler.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:52 am

You pay the same amount as in the Post Office, all you are doing is printing and paying at home.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:23 pm

RetroBob wrote:You pay the same amount as in the Post Office, all you are doing is printing and paying at home.
Yeah, that was a stupid question to ask! :oops:

Cheers :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:05 am

Well after a couple of weeks now I've pretty much sold everything I listed, made just under £300 (which has paid for the new car seat for my little one) and received some good feedback. It's been quite fun packaging everything up and printing off the postage labels!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:16 am

Ha, glad you went with that option! I agree it is nice to see the pile of stuff reduce over a few days.