Whatever became of Anirog?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

yakmag

Whatever became of Anirog?

Post by yakmag » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 am

Anyone any ideas????

Utini

Post by Utini » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:33 am

They went bust. Or got bought up. Possibly.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:59 pm

At some point they became Anco. I think Anirog is kinda cooler.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:08 pm

No Anco is way cooler, cos they released Kick Off.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:54 pm

and Player Manager
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:41 pm

Hmm I know I had a quick run-down of Anirog history somewhere... but yes Anirog did become Anco through one way or another. Can't recall exactly how or why... I think Anirog was a partnership and one of them died or wanted to sell out, so Anirog got closed and Anco formed in its place. Something like that I think.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:49 pm

i may be getting totally mixed up but wasn't the name Anirog a contraction of christian names or something, so when the partnership split only the An(i) was carried over? And me, i much preferred the Anirog name. =-)

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:34 pm

An(i) was Anil Gupta, but he died in 2003 and that was the end of Anco.

No idea about the rog part.

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:04 pm

Ah, Anirog.

Slap Shot - with SPEECH! :D

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2344
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

retr0nut

Post by retr0nut » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:15 pm

I know this is an old thread but the 'ROG' from ANIROG was Roger Gammon.

Anil and Roger originally set up ANIROG and opened a small stall/shop in the CO-OP in Crawley, West Sussex.

I used to be a regular visitor and bought both my VIC20 and CBM64 from Roger himself and I must say he was a fantastic guy.

In fact my CBM64 blew its internal fuse and my Dad called the Anirog number only for Roger to invite us round to his house one evening where he replaced it while we waited.

The best Customer Service I have ever experienced and nothing was ever to much trouble.

Sadly, Roger passed away many years ago from a brain tumour (I think) and I believe that Anil started ANCO soon after.

Never met Anil as he was rarely seen in the shop in the early days as it was usually Roger and his Son/s whom also used to write games for the ANIROG label.

I got to meet at least 3 or 4 of the programmers whom were of a similar age to me and went to schools in the area.

Good times.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:33 pm

retr0nut wrote:I know this is an old thread but the 'ROG' from ANIROG was Roger Gammon.

Anil and Roger originally set up ANIROG and opened a small stall/shop in the CO-OP in Crawley, West Sussex.

I used to be a regular visitor and bought both my VIC20 and CBM64 from Roger himself and I must say he was a fantastic guy.

In fact my CBM64 blew its internal fuse and my Dad called the Anirog number only for Roger to invite us round to his house one evening where he replaced it while we waited.

The best Customer Service I have ever experienced and nothing was ever to much trouble.

Sadly, Roger passed away many years ago from a brain tumour (I think) and I believe that Anil started ANCO soon after.

Never met Anil as he was rarely seen in the shop in the early days as it was usually Roger and his Son/s whom also used to write games for the ANIROG label.

I got to meet at least 3 or 4 of the programmers whom were of a similar age to me and went to schools in the area.

Good times.
Interesting , and a shame about Roger - sounds like one of the good guys .Did you ever get to see/speak to DD?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retr0nut

Post by retr0nut » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:40 pm

I take it you are referring to Dino Dini and no never did meet him.

Once ANIROG had gone I lost all contact with the old ANIROG folks except one of the programmers whom used to come out with me and my friends clubbing etc.

He wrote Cybotron and a few other games for ANIROG and went on to write a couple of games published by Firebird.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:45 pm

retr0nut wrote:I take it you are referring to Dino Dini and no never did meet him.

Once ANIROG had gone I lost all contact with the old ANIROG folks except one of the programmers whom used to come out with me and my friends clubbing etc.

He wrote Cybotron and a few other games for ANIROG and went on to write a couple of games published by Firebird.
Sorry , yeah Dino Dini ; they were certainly astute in signing him up - I guess Kick Off and it's sequels literally made their fortunes
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Underrated softco Anirog were - yes some of their arcade ports were dreadful, but they did BY FAR the finest home conversion of Time Pilot (Space Pilot on the C64) I've ever played - it was truly brilliant.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:26 pm

Didn't they do House of Usher on the C64?

Spent bloody HOURS trying to complete each of those bloody rooms!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/