Christmas 2014

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PAC

Christmas 2014

Post by PAC » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Let's have a feature on seasonal games / Santa Claus / Jack Frost appearances, next autumn !

merman

Re: Christmas 2014

Post by merman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:18 am

The real problem is timing - if it's the issue that is out in December in the UK, then America and the rest of the world get it weeks later after Christmas. If you time it for America, it"s too early for the UK/Europe. There have been seasonal features and a sparkly Nights cover before, but it would seem unlikely it would happen again.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Planned properly,it could work. Create 2 issues. Send the chrimbo one overseas when we get our November one. Then send our November one overseas when we get the chrimbo one. Swapping those 2 issues for the domestic and overseas market sorts it out.

How Daz is suposed to squeeze in another issue is the big problem.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:05 pm

Or give us a Christmas one and everyone else a non-Christmas one. America doesn't like Christmas anyway, so they would probably prefer that.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

PAC

Post by PAC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Yeah,, shame that scheduling should wreck it. This kind of stuff is fun and surely lots of oddities and eggs hidden away for a pretty cool feature !

Apologies not knowing there's been a cover in the past. I only joined in / found RG thanks to buying the Atari special for a trip to Australia, Christmas 2012 !!

PAC

Post by PAC » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Well, it was very good to read about 'Christmas Nights Into Dreams', in the Paperboy issue. Totally new discovery for me !

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:25 pm

ive got Christmas Nights and its lots of fun ,, found it in a job lot from the car boot sale a couple of years ago :D
Well worth playing.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 pm

I agree with PAC.

To heck with the rest of the world not receiving the mag in time for Christmas! That hasn't stopped the RG team having Christmas covers in the past and those previous Christmas covers have been awesome. RG's heritage is rooted in the Amtix, Zzap & Crash line - magazines that embraced a Christmas edition even increasing the content in a special, Radio Times-esqe fashion, bumper edition.

RG is a UK mag, the rest of the world know this. The rest of the world accept that Brits are an idiosyncratic lot anyway so a Christmas cover on their favourite retro gaming magazine, a friendly editorial wishing readers a happy Christmas, and maybe some other references to the season of goodwill and jolliness through the mag is not a big deal.

Do the right thing. Add "Christmas themed cover are we having this year" to the agenda of the next RG team meeting.

I don't think I've ever had a Christmas rant in February.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:53 am

I agree, its a UK mag, i'm sure no one in the US would be upset if they got their copy a month or two later and it featured a Xmas cover. Most of us probably arent that religious, but its a nod towards the old mags in the 80's when you would literally sprint to WHSmiths to get that massive Xmas copy of Crash/Zzap etc. One great thing about Retro Gamer are the nods towards the mags of yesteryear, the old xmas special was one of the main points as a gamer in the 80s

PAC

Post by PAC » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:10 pm

We'll, it's now a Christmas rant in March, Mire Mare.

All I have heard this week is, "Good grief, it's March already,, before we know it, it's going to be Christmas !!"

Retro Gamer Christmas Special 2014,, Please !!

smilertoo

Post by smilertoo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:07 pm

I don't see any problem; it's a UK magazine so it should be timed for the UK's xmas.
yes i have a sig.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:56 pm

I agree that it's a UK-centric mag. Where do you draw the line? Ditch the Brit favourites like the Speccy, Amstrad , ZX81, Oric etc in favour of the more popular (outside the UK) Atari , Commodore etc machines?

Would the US public not buy the mag because it had a Christmas/Winter themed cover?

It's easy to check , but not for us readers. Did the issue with the specially commission Oli Frey Christmas cover sell significantly worse than the Afterburner one we got a year later, outside of the UK?
Obviously we want RG to continue to thrive, and a non-Christmas cover is hardly the end of the world. But for a mag that likes to be as authentic as possible, all UK 8/16 bit mags back in the day had seasonal covers at Christmas, so it would be nice for RG to continue this tradition
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm

ImageImageImageA little something for Christmas!

PAC

Post by PAC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Panzer General.. i have to get me one of these !!

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:34 pm

PAC wrote:Panzer General.. i have to get me one of these !!

Best of luck-the cartridge will cost you more than the machine to run it on.

an unboxed with no instructions example will usually fetch around £20-30, with box and instructions you are talking between £40 to £60.