What aged the best?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

PanzerGeneral

Re: What aged the best?

Post by PanzerGeneral » Tue May 20, 2014 9:40 pm

I don't belive there has ever been a feature on the Enterprise in the magazine, perhaps if it was possibe to stick a little nintendo badge on it, or possibly rebrand it-the Enterprise CPC464.

Just maybe it may get a small mention.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat May 24, 2014 7:56 am

PanzerGeneral wrote:I don't belive there has ever been a feature on the Enterprise in the magazine, perhaps if it was possibe to stick a little nintendo badge on it, or possibly rebrand it-the Enterprise CPC464.

Just maybe it may get a small mention.
Classic :lol: good idea tho
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:31 am

The ZX80 still looks great. I'm also quite fond of the JVC Wondermega as there's something quite visually appealing about the elongated shape and the curve of the CD unit coming out the front.

Also, while looking around I saw a few pictures of the PC Engine Shuttle, which is not only gorgeous but looks even more like a spaceship than the Amstrad GX4000. Take a look.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Here's another contender - The GameCube. A little childish possibly, but I think it's quite simple, elegant, cute even. And the Panasonic silver one is just the sex.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 pm

The white PC Engine is still the most beautiful console ever! Love it!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Now I want a White PC Engine :(

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:44 am

nakamura wrote:The white PC Engine is still the most beautiful console ever! Love it!
Yep, only recently bought one and saw it in the flesh for the first time, what a design...and why did those silly US people ruin it? :wink:

Have to give another shout for Spectrum, a lovely design that looks sleek

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:04 am

From the sublime to the pig ugly!

They made amends with the final version as seen below.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:38 am

Yep, the original 48K Spectrum is an eternal classic. It may just be a Casio calculator widened to take a QWERTY keyboard, but the simplicity with which it marries form to function is a delight to behold.

The Oric Atmos with its decent black keyboard and orange-red underside looks great too.

The Atari ST is a very good shape, with those neat inlaid function keys, but the beige was bad enough, never mind what awful colours they (and Amigas) have faded too over the years.

And the Vic 20 / C64? Sorry, no. They may have a switched keyboard but it's set too high with tiny narrow key tops and a hard response. Looks like an instrument of torture for anyone who has to press more than a few keys every half-hour. It's a Mediterranean rock-strewn donkey-trail for your fingertips. :lol:

The GX4000 does still look a treat, and I hadn't seen that Wondermega before but I immediately want to strap it on my back and bust some ghosts!

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:31 pm

joefish wrote:Yep, the original 48K Spectrum is an eternal classic. It may just be a Casio calculator widened to take a QWERTY keyboard, but the simplicity with which it marries form to function is a delight to behold.

The Oric Atmos with its decent black keyboard and orange-red underside looks great too.

The Atari ST is a very good shape, with those neat inlaid function keys, but the beige was bad enough, never mind what awful colours they (and Amigas) have faded too over the years.

And the Vic 20 / C64? Sorry, no. They may have a switched keyboard but it's set too high with tiny narrow key tops and a hard response. Looks like an instrument of torture for anyone who has to press more than a few keys every half-hour. It's a Mediterranean rock-strewn donkey-trail for your fingertips. :lol:

The GX4000 does still look a treat, and I hadn't seen that Wondermega before but I immediately want to strap it on my back and bust some ghosts!
Glad to see I am not the only person who hated the feel of the VIC/C64 keyboards, it felt almost like there was no tactile bounce back on the Keys.
I suppose there is another thread here about best feeling keyboards. :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:27 pm

I prefer the Oric-1 to the Atmos. The Atmos with it's red and black is very 80s, while the cream, black and blue of the Oric-1 is ageless.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am

I think that while the original C64 looks rather dated now (blasphemy!) I still like the look of the C64C version.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:00 am

The PC Engine, not only in terms of looks, but also for the games themselves. Many are still very playable today, and look great in RGB.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:00 pm

NorthWay wrote:The one that hasn't aged one bit(hah!) IMO is the Amiga 1000. I could see something like that being launched today. Keyboard garage and all.
Agreed - my A1000 looks at home sat right next to my SFF PC - in fact, one of my mates thought it was an older PC until he took a step closer and spotted the Amiga logo :D
RodimusPrime wrote:The Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 + models still look nice IMO. I like the light grey and think the systems look much nicer than the standard models.
I think the 464 looks a bit kids toy like and a bit too much 80s, however, the 6128 could pass as a old SFF PC with built in floppy if you were too ignorant to noticfe the 3" drive - so would "blend in" quite well.

I definitely think the Amiga range (especially the A500/A500+) and the big box A1500/A2000 models definitely still look freakin sweet. They could pass as modern ish kit (just about) to look at them if you knew no better, yet they still look iconic 80s/90s too.

The 48k Speccy still looks kind of exciting, even though I'm not a massive fan of the rubber keyboard. It looks iconic 80s but with a potential "space age" look to it due to it's size and paintwork (when in decent condition).

However, although the C16 and C64 breadbin look kick-ass, those big chunky keys make them look proper old! Whilst it's nice, it does scream 70s/80s and not all that modern in design terms. Despite this, the C64 was a really capable machine - as we know, it's not what it looks like, it's what it does.

As mentioned above, the Atari ST is still stylish looking (when not yellowed) with all it's slanting going on!

No mentions about the MegaDrive from anybody though - which to me, just looks like a time warp into the 90s with it's cheap looking black plastic. From what I can remember, just about everything was black in the 90s!!!!!!

Gameon

Post by Gameon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:11 am

I would argue that most computers and consoles from the 70s and 80s were build to be functional and because of this tend to look dated. Most machines tend to be 70s colours of brown, beige or cream and tend to have a boxy or wedge appearance screaming old tech, some just look like they are from a fisher price catalogue (I am looking at you Tandy MC-10). Looking at modern PCs and electronics, black and white and metal accents tend to dominate mainly as both are neutral colours that will go well with most things. Beige is a pretty much an office colour and thankfully most modern PCs are no longer this colour.

Realistically that leaves very few machines that still look good today, some of you may disagree, but if you stick the machine next to modern equipment would it stand out like a spotty twenty year old with unwashed greasy short hair, wearing a pink shirt with pens and a protractor in his shirt pocket, with broken NHS glasses repaired with a sticky plaster, beige hush puppies and tartan slacks in a posh restaurant drinking Tizer from a tall glass with a novelty straw? Or would it blend in like a guy wearing a smart suit, shades, a sharp haircut drinking champagne out of a champagne glass?

The one that has come up the most and is unsurprisingly one that was designed and not seemed to be an afterthought, even if was designed to be a cheap as chips to make, no surprises that it is the Spectrum 16K/48K. It does look fantastic even today, sleek black machine with metal face plate, hints of bright primary colours, delicate soft rubber keyboard (although with millions of symbols and keywords,it still looks artsy modern) and some nice curves. All credit to Rick Dickinson for his design.

That is really it... some machines come close.

The original NEC PC Engine is a nice looking machine, the Green power switch and red logo do clash a little. The Core GraFx II looks the nicest of the variants but again the green power switch spoils it.

The Oric Atmos looks good, nice keyboard (of sorts), sexy black and orange design but has a 80s/90s vibe with the circular grid pattern on the top left of the machine. If it was straight edges with curves at the corners it would would be a fantastic design for today.

The ZX80 is cheap looking with it's formed plastic and plastic rivets, although the keyboard in a proper injection molded case with some curves like the Spectrum would have had it really look like a modern machine with its touch like blue and black keyboard.

The Atari 800XL (and the 600XL) could have been there... if the machine was black then the silver system keys would have made it look ultra sleek and modern. However the beige screams 70s.

The Atari 7800, with it's size, curves, use of black and metal plate and touch buttons does look fairly modern even today.

The Apricot Portable looks a fantastic machine, although close up you can see it is 80s technology but the form factor and wireless keyboard (sadly IR) means it still does look modern.

The Amstrad NC100 is probably the best looking machine Amstrad made, the LCD gives it away as old tech but at a glance it does look professional and cool.

The original Megadrive is a great looking machine, only the power switch and volume censored look out of place in a modern room.

The Amiga A600, it is a nice compact Amiga, nice and white but let down by the grey brown keys.

Out of the machines that people have mentioned....

Vic 20 / Commodore 64? Wasn't called the breadbin for nothing, it does look like one with a built in keyboard attached.

Memotech MTX series looks like an industrial machine, it is too large and has a look that says a mile away that it is an 80s computer.

Commodore Amiga, beige, beige and more beige. The A500 could do serious damage if you threw it at someone, it is basically too big. The Amiga A1000 looks like a nicely designed but still screams I am from the 80s. The A1200 nearly gets there but again its toooooo long.

Enterprise 128, although not beige it is a dull grey, the keyboard looks cheap and nasty, the coloured keys clash and the joystick turns it into a cheap looking toy.

Amstrad GX4000, nope the shape, indents and curves make it look like a cheap toy, stands out far too much. The CPC 6128 plus looks like another beige like computer and looked dated even when it came out.

Atari 2600, the wood grain of the original sticks it straight into the 70s. The Jr is too much of a wedge. Less said about the 5200 and the Jaguar the better.