Forget the arcades of the 80s - remember the computer shops

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Elspuddy

Re:

Post by Elspuddy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:00 pm

psj3809 wrote: Mikro Gen in Bracknell also sold games but Computer Cavern in Reading for many years i used to buy my games from
i rember the mikro gen shop in bracknell, it was called bracknell computers, i think it keeped geting borken in to ( was a 10 seciond run to the police stataion) then when that closed down, it went near the fish and chip shop and got renamed disk and tapes, then thay moved down to the market, then thay went pooff no more :(
All spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and stupid comments are intentional.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:21 am

I remember the adverts in the Spectrum magazines that advertised companies that could repair your spectrum if it was feeling poorly one day.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:31 pm

I remember the local Tandy shop on the main road in Altrincham.

It was great as you could go in on a Saturday and play most of the computers that were out on display including the C64, Atari ST and Amiga.

The funniest thing was a friend who used to mess about with the C64 and put a little animation sequence of a guy pulling his pants down!

Such puerile and juvenile behaviour :lol:

beesty

Post by beesty » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:22 pm

I live in Leeds and the computer shop I used was one called Microbyte.
Great shop with some decent blokes in there,but one stood out as a proper git and hated us teens at the time(well if we didnt have any money like me).
And lo and behold he is THE martin walker(I think) of team 17 and to think the snotty spotty faced kids of then would be buying his crap games of now i.e worms and lemmings(luckilly I hated both games)just goes to show how much if you new him and you reviewed a game of team 17 would just rip the crap out of them(unfortunateley they did some very good games untill they thought everyone whants to just play worms and lemmings),so it just goes to show what been a git can get you in life,thank **&* no one remembers me.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:38 am

Was really cool being able to go into my local newsagents and spend £1.99 on the latest Mastertronic title.

I remember going into WH Smiths in Wood Green, on a regular basis, and keying in a quick prog on the C64 which left the screen with:

PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE

then hiding behind a shelf and p*ssing my pants when a small child with parent presessed it..........

F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:57 am

LMAO
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:42 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:LMAO

with added :lol: !
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

vp002

Local computer shops !

Post by vp002 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:47 am

well...

We had capricorn computers in olton hollow which were run by a local family who were really friendly and proffessional.

There was also the local boots in mell square (solihull) which had a speccy amstrad and c64 all along eachother.

which a member of staff (greg) always let us play games on them for free but then there were the local franchises microplay in the mid 90s which werent very good ,then late 90s saw the cex and game franchises taking over.

vp002

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:05 am

Software City, Wolverhampton which was originally in the tiniest little shop imagineable in an alleyway that led to Wulfruna Street and the main entrance to the Polytechnic (now there's a word thats gone out of circulation...)

The typical sort of setup with about four machines along one wall, crammed keyboard to keyboard. I went there once with my Dad to drop off the Spectrum to have the broken keyboard membrane replaced and a member of staff who was "on the door", seeing that here was a serious adult customer who would actually spend money, immediately flung out the 4 kids who were nearest the door in order to make space for the "real" customer. :lol: They put a the newer Series 2 dark grey membrane in replacing the older Series 1 light grey one and I was well chuffed - suddenly my Speccy looked newer! I can still remember the game running on their demo Speccy, Ocean's Kong Strikes Back.

I mostly remember it for one anecdote which was my Dad (who knew Wolverhampton well) futilely trying to explain it's location to his Brother-in-law (who didn't) before giving up saying "park in the town centre and ask the first kid you see under the age of 18 who to get there.". So he did and the first kid told him exactly how to get there. Asking any adult passerby would have been a complete waste of time!

They moved out into a proper glass-fronted shop in the town centre and I think the last thing I got from there before they disappeared was a discounted Wizkid for the ST in the mid 90s. The original shop is now a second hand bookshop that seems to just buy textbooks from students at the end of each semester and then sell them back to the new intake a couple of weeks later.

Coop

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:57 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:I remember going into WH Smiths in Wood Green, on a regular basis, and keying in a quick prog on the C64 which left the screen with:

PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE

then hiding behind a shelf and p*ssing my pants when a small child with parent presessed it..........

F*CK OFF!
F*CK OFF!.........
Brilliant.
I used to do this in John Menzies with the Spectrum.
I used to stick in a loud repeating BEEP command and, IIRC,
a POKE which disabled the BREAK key. :lol:

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:10 pm

I used to work in Mr Disk who were based on Smallbrook Queensway in Birmingham city centre.

Before I started work there I was always a customer and used to think it was one of the best shops going.

When I finally secured employment there many years later I found it to be run by a load of tossers.

My time there included the release of the CD32, Sonic 3 and the first FIFA amongst other things. I was still a very big Amiga user back then and the management would openly let the staff borrow the games to play as long as they were shrink-wrapped back the next morning so they could go on the shelf for sale. This was great as you got to 'borrow' all the latest Amiga games - the only problem was was that they would also let you 'borrow' the X-Copy software along with the dongle so that you could make perfect backups of all the Amiga games you borrowed - you would just tell them you were signing out 3 or 4 of the latest Amiga games and also signing out the X-Copy dongle at the same time - did they care? Did they fook.

I remember a got a bollocking once off one of the so called gaffers running the place because on one day, in the console dept downstairs (you had to be there) we were really busy - and I mean REALLY busy selling perhaps Sonic 3 I cant quite remember which - but anyway some tosser manager to steal a Mega CD game from the shelf (may have been Microcosm) and because nobody purchased Mega CD games (cos it was censored apart from Ground Zero Texas(which is another story)) Mr Disk used to leave the Mega CD games in the cases.

So anyway, I'm down in the dungeon of the store (please a brummie remember Mr Disk) and someomne managed to leg it upstairs, past all of the the staff upstairs and past the security bloke upstairs also and out of the door with about £300 (at the time) of Mega CD software.

Anyway, Frontier and Apocalypse came in a couple of weeks after and I just borrowed them and copied them while spending the day playing Sonic 3...

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Fri May 04, 2007 2:14 pm

I remember getting out of school and going straight up the town to the local CO-OP where they had all the common micros switched on and playing games. :D

From there we went to Boots to look at the games but they didn't have any computers set up. :cry:

We had a local shop called Arnolds which had all sorts set up at the back. My mate bought a ZX81 from there on some kind of scheme where you pay it up weekly.
Thing was you had to finish paying it before they give you the computer. :x It took him 20 weeks.!

Can i change the subject slightly.?

Does anybody remember the computer section in your Grannys Empire Stores or Freemans catalogue.? I would love to see one of them again...

Ah the memories. :)

Regards

RIK
Last edited by RetroRik on Sat May 05, 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm

Columbia Computers was probably the best that Poole and Bournemouth could come up with in the 80's which wasn't saying much.