CD/DVD Scratch Repair Kits

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Utini

CD/DVD Scratch Repair Kits

Post by Utini » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Have any of you had any experience with CD/DVD Scratch Repair Kits, particularly with GD-Rom discs?

I've bought some DC games, some of which are pretty badly scratched (which pissed me off a treat, incidently, as the eBayer described them as in "perfect" condition - I'd send them back, but I didn't pay very much for them), and just wondered if a repair kit will do the trick, or will nam the discs to buggery.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:35 pm

Don't go near the cheap ones.

Best bet, find an indie game shop that'll do the job, they probably use machines by these people - http://www.totaldiscrepair.com/

These are brilliant, I've scratched the living crap out of a disk as a test and it's managed to make them playable. I've never tried a GD-ROM but there's no reason to suspect it won't work.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:50 pm

A few of my discs could do with that, I might look around for a decent kit when Ive got the last of the christmas pressies sorted
Watching you sleep since 1990

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Brasso will buff out scratches if you want to risk it. Read a comparative test of commercial disk cleaning products versus homebrew ones and Brasso came out on top, bating many commercial solutions by a long way.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stulec52

Post by stulec52 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:44 pm

My local Cash Convertors has an awesome machine that took most of the marks from my DC disks ( typically those circular marks that are very tough to remove with home use cleaners)
Didn't charge me either which was good, mind you I did buy some other goodies while I was there - well, it would have been rude not to :D

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:49 pm

I wish mine would do that. Many a time they have sold me unusable discs, yet they refuse to take my mildy scratched but fully working games

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:21 pm

Sega2006 wrote:I wish mine would do that. Many a time they have sold me unusable discs, yet they refuse to take my mildy scratched but fully working games
... so I'm not the only one this has happened to then!

also GameStation are a bunch of w@nkers when it comes to scratched pre-owned discs.

stulec52

Post by stulec52 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:15 am

Always ask to look at the particular disk you are buying.
I must have been super lucky with Cash Convertors, I had chosen an NBA game, and the guy behind the counter checked out for me, he said he would NOT sell it to me due to some scratches on it !!!
But, the thing is, that guy and his attitude made all the difference, I have been back again and spent more money, and will go back again.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:15 pm

So far thats happend with only one game, some wise person decided to use half a dc case for quake 3 and had doubled up on some games, I brought them still though

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:45 pm

While we're on the subject of Cash Convertors....
I'm lucky(?) enough to live above the Brighton branch and found the "Alien Quadrilogy" 9-DVDs-in-an-Alien-head-set for a bargain price...a couple of the DVDs looked a bit suspect, but the chap had no problem with checking them ALL on a massive telly before I parted with any cash - no, we didn't watch all 9 in a marathon session, the scratches were near the middle of the discs, they all loaded-up and played a few minutes fine, and if they bugger up when the layer changes I can take 'em back.
Nice one CC...and I've bought some great vinyl in there in the past too.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:48 pm

I go to CC for most of my stuff ..... having a few financial problems means that CC has become my friend! Usually I tend to find some good bargains in there - I got a Sega Dreamcast for £10 from my local CC

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:54 pm

Good old Crime Convertors. I've had loads of games and joysticks and whatnot from my local one. There's an even dodgier copycat shop a few doors up that does specials on scratched discs - £1-£2 and you get no warranty. Most of them are superficial damage and work fine, I've not had a dud yet. They did sell me an NTSC GBA adapter for my PAL Cube that wasn't compatible, but I argued the toss and they refunded.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.