how about a dedicated Adventure/Strategy/RPG section

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kaiserpc

how about a dedicated Adventure/Strategy/RPG section

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:38 pm

as the title says, how about a dedicated adventure/strategy/RPG section like the old white wizard section in zzap.

It would only need to be 1-2 pages a month

There seems to be plenty of fans for these genres, but way too much focus in retrogamer to more arcade style games

discuss .....

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:19 pm

Personally (and I've mentioned this before) I would like to see Keith Campbell get an adventure column - He wrote for C&VG/CU for almost ten years and he is a nice guy.

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:28 am

I am a huge RPG fan. I loved the SSI games like Champions of Krynn, Buck Rogers, but I also like, and even would say prefer the latter RPGs on consoles, like Final Fantasy & Co.

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:42 am

I've got nothing against RPGs but why is this genre more deserving of others in needing it's own section? Equal coverage is best.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:04 am

I wouldn't mind having Derek Brewster's Adventure Trail in RG. :D

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:53 am

Get Phillipa Irving back; I always thought Frontline (and the 64 column she wrote; I forget the name) were intelligent and acute, and she clearly had a passion for the genre.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:18 am

Hungry Horace wrote:Get Phillipa Irving back; I always thought Frontline (and the 64 column she wrote; I forget the name) were intelligent and acute, and she clearly had a passion for the genre.
She is one of the few ex-ZZAP! (and CRASH) staff who hasn't been traced. Though someone did register at the 'Def Guide to ZZAP!' forum a few years back, who claimed to be her Brother...

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:40 am

LeeT wrote:
Hungry Horace wrote:Get Phillipa Irving back; I always thought Frontline (and the 64 column she wrote; I forget the name) were intelligent and acute, and she clearly had a passion for the genre.
She is one of the few ex-ZZAP! (and CRASH) staff who hasn't been traced. Though someone did register at the 'Def Guide to ZZAP!' forum a few years back, who claimed to be her Brother...
Interesting. Given her knowledge and appreciation of the scene, I'd have thought she would have 'kept her oar in', as it were. I'm sure she's putting her degree to good use and making obscene money in management consultancy, or somesuch.

Thanks for the info, LeeT.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

kaiserpc

Re:

Post by kaiserpc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:00 pm

planetmatt wrote:I've got nothing against RPGs but why is this genre more deserving of others in needing it's own section? Equal coverage is best.
That is the whole point these genres don't get the same coverage. This is why I'm calling for them to have dedicated section (just like they used to have in zzap etc)

how many manic miner/dizzy etc articles have we seen. Yet a classic series like Ultima (or the lucasarts adventures) has been ignored

superstarbeejay

Re:

Post by superstarbeejay » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:28 am

kaiserpc wrote:
planetmatt wrote:I've got nothing against RPGs but why is this genre more deserving of others in needing it's own section? Equal coverage is best.
That is the whole point these genres don't get the same coverage. This is why I'm calling for them to have dedicated section (just like they used to have in zzap etc)

how many manic miner/dizzy etc articles have we seen. Yet a classic series like Ultima (or the lucasarts adventures) has been ignored
I've got to agree. For some reason most retro coverage is based around arcade/action games which always seems a little odd to me as a lot of older Strategy/RPGs are just as good today as they ever were, whereas Space Invaders doesn't quite have the same impact today IMO.

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:38 am

Hungry Horace wrote:Interesting. Given her knowledge and appreciation of the scene, I'd have thought she would have 'kept her oar in', as it were. I'm sure she's putting her degree to good use and making obscene money in management consultancy, or somesuch.
Having had a good look back through some past email, I might actually know where to track her down heh... I'm certainly sure she's married and I think I know where she's working. Now it depends if the email address I have is still valid or not...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

rainbird rich

Re: how about a dedicated Adventure/Strategy/RPG section

Post by rainbird rich » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:09 am

I used to write the Adventure SOS pages on BBC2 CEEFAX (NEXT was the name of the 'mag') from 1986 to early 1988.
kaiserpc wrote:as the title says, how about a dedicated adventure/strategy/RPG section like the old white wizard section in zzap.

It would only need to be 1-2 pages a month

There seems to be plenty of fans for these genres, but way too much focus in retrogamer to more arcade style games

discuss .....
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:40 am

superstarbeejay wrote:
kaiserpc wrote:

I've got to agree. For some reason most retro coverage is based around arcade/action games which always seems a little odd to me as a lot of older Strategy/RPGs are just as good today as they ever were, whereas Space Invaders doesn't quite have the same impact today IMO.
The strategy and RPG genres are my favourite so I love articles about these things, but I don't think it's quite right to imply that these things are being ignored. The old RG had an article on Dungeon Master, an article on the Delta 4 adventures and things like that. I think they'll come up - we might just have to be patient.

It all depends on whether or not people are willing to write articles. Sometimes it gets a bit tricky. For example, my own reading about SirTech and the Wizardry series has shown me that there is actually a lot of dispute about the origins of the series, which would make it really awkward to write an article about.

Are you offering to write something rainbird rich?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

rainbird rich

Re:

Post by rainbird rich » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:51 am

Maybe! ;-)

However, I was much more of a text adventure man than those new-fangled graphical things that almost completely killed the genre off! (with a few notable exceptions like Dungeon Master of course!)
revgiblet wrote:
Are you offering to write something rainbird rich?
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

hillelr

Re: how about a dedicated Adventure/Strategy/RPG section

Post by hillelr » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:24 am

I would love to see an RGP and adventure section it will be very interesting
in my view